Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error System Engine Check 4Wd Check And Vsc Check

Buddy01

Hi i have had this error twice. 1st it just went after stop start. today my car would not drive above 25 mph... once again stopped for ten mins and restarted fine... happened again called out aa and the fault registered but cleared within ten mins. Has anyone had this? My concern is I have 3 month toyota warranty and want this problem resolved. Many thanks. By the way when I try to start the car.(keyless) sometimes the green light goes to red and will not start. I have to attempt several times. Many thanks

The next time the lights come on do not let the AA clear them have the car taken to Toyota so the issue can be diagnosed, if the AA delete the codes they also clear the diagnostics stored by the car as to why the warning light was activated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

check engine system + check 4wd + check VSC ... flashes on the display.

The trouble code P2002... diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold

The DPF creates a slight back pressure in operation. The vehicle's ECU -- computer -- has pressure -feedback sensors on the DPF to monitor its functionality. If for some reason - for two running cycles - it senses a discrepancy in the pressure limits, it will set the code P2002 indicating a malfunction. Not to be to concerned, these devices have a regenerative capability to burn off the buildup of soot and return to full service. They last a long time. Once this occurs the light will go out and the code will clear itself. This is why it's called a soft code -- it indicates a fault in "real time" and erases as the fault corrects itself. A hard code remains until the repair is completed and the code erased manually with a scanner.

• 5 weeks later...

I just had my vehicle serviced and after driving about half a mile the "check 4x4 system" warning came on. My vehicle is a 2007 model. Have arranged to go to a different garage to the one where it wa serviced as they have computerized diagnostics facilities. Do I have to do this or will it right itself in time?

• 4 years later...

I’ve just had a successful diagnosis for this issue, which may also link to why some people have mentioned - even had success with - changing the fuel cap.

The issue finally diagnosed has been the fuel rail/fuel rail sensors.  The fuel rail has sensors which control and release pressure within the fuel system.  If these sensors on the fuel rail fail to work correctly pressure within the fuel system is lost at inappropriate times, causing loss of power.  The solution, unfortunately, is to replace the full fuel rail as the sensors are an integral part of the rail rather than separate items.  An interim step is to use a fuel cleaner first and see if the rail has just become blocked, but that didn’t result in curing the problem for me.  A recovered/second hand fuel rail is also apparently not recommended as this may carry the same fault (so a potential ‘throwing-good-money-after-bad’ solution).

For a while my investigations had been following the route of issues with the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) recommended from a previous posting, which had seemed like the most sensible solution to the symptoms I was experiencing, and I was at the point of paying substantial money for this to be investigated.  However, the people who discovered it was the fuel rail told me this would be an unlikely problem in RAVs over 2010, as they have a regeneration process that occurs not only when travelling above 50mph, but a secondary process that occurs when the vehicle is only driven at low speed (ie in the RAVs if the regeneration processes are working, build up should not occur even if rarely travelling above 50mph).  Replacing the fuel rail is also about one-third the price of managing/cleaning the DPF, So I’d suggest you start with investigating the fuel rail first!

Like many people on here this problem has not only been an absolute nightmare to discover/solve, but has had the potential for me to have spent many thousands£ on solutions that had nothing to do with the problem.  The solution to this problem was - in the end - not even found by Toyota dealerships.  I was fortunate in my troubleshooting that I had a good dealership who questioned solution recommendations from Toyota headquarters that were incredibly expensive (failure/replacement of the full engine management system, etc) otherwise I could have poured thousands£ down the drain trying to resolve this.  

Although I love my RAV dearly, I’m pretty disgusted with Toyota, their ownership of this issue (I’ve not been able to sell or trade in my RAV while it’s had this issue), and their treatment of owners who have this issue.  Why they don’t have system codes that correctly direct engineers to what this fault is instead of misdirection towards ABS and 4WD failure is absolutely beyond me.  I’ve had to drive round for years with this problem occurring and no one able to solve it.  Finally, if wasn’t solved by Toyota either.  That’s pretty disgraceful.

Re the previous postings about success from changing the fuel cap, if this is successful for you I’d advise still keeping awareness of this fuel rail issue because it could be sensor issues are starting and if the problems reoccur look to the fuel rail next rather than the expensive DPF. Hope this helps everyone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey AniW I be the same problem - I started a new thread about it hoping some folks could share their experiences. 

I’ve a suspicion that the dealers are going to start replacing parts they don’t need to and milking my wallet because they can’t pinpoint the exact problem.

• 11 months later...

hello I have same problem fuel cap loose but its not that last a few  weeks them comes on again Toyota cleared the codes first time said its a computer blip more to it than that.

• 2 weeks later...

For your information. Concerns RAV4 2.0 16v Automatic 2007
Every time after driving about 30-35km I got the message "check 4x4 sytem".  The Toyota dealer reported the fault codes C1299 and C1241.
The cause was quite simple. I had mounted a new set of tires on the front wheels, the original size but a other/different brand (Michelin CrossClimate).   Apparently the difference between the front and rear tires was too big.  After mounting identical tires on the rear wheels, the problem was solved.