Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Problem. 2011 Auris Hybrid.

Tbolt

Hi, started car yesterday morning. It was frosty and car had been stood for two days as I took my motorbike for it's MOT the day before. Car is mostly used every day and there were no signs of any problem when I parked it up.

The car started up ok on EV but when I turned the heater on ond the ICE started it sounded awful so I stopped the engine immediately.

Quick check of the web made me belive it was the rough running that can happen on cold mornings so started the car again as I needed to get to work.

The problem occured again so I called the rescue service. 30 miutes later with the mechanic looking on I started it again and the problem was still there. He could not pinpoint the problem and his bet was a cam problem but added it reminded him of a Cortina crank problem.

The mechanic was obviously not going to do any work on a hybrid car and it was taken to the dealer. Thank god for EV mode to put car on trailer.

At the dealers the car still had the engine problem. The manager said he had never known a faulty Hybrid engine but was concerned it sounded terminal!

It will be few days before they take a look for the problem.

If it is only the cold start problem I am aware they can update the inlet manifold to resolve this.

However, I suspect it may be more problematic as the rough start issue appears to be of short duration. The problem on my car felt like it was misfiring badly with horrendous vibration. If this was the known cold start problem I believe it would have soon settled to normal running.

Both the rescue man and the dealers first thoughts were that there was no oil in the engine!

Car has had regular servicing and never used a drop of oil in 43000 miles. Last service 2 months ago.

I now have at least a few days to worry about what is wrong. Thank goodness for the 5 year warranty.

Any one else had this problem?

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks

Gerry

First Hybrid problem I have ever heard of! Lets hope its the inlet manifold.

I've never heard of this issue on an Auris before as they were made AFTER the issue was resolved in the Prius - assuming it's the same issue.

If it is, it's a manifold design problem where moisture collects during cold damp conditions if the car has been sat for a few days or if it has previously been started up and quickly stopped mid way through a particular warm up cycle.

Normally the problem resolves itself after the moisture was sucked through and is very infrequent and intermittent. It happened to me three times is about 2010 and the new manifold was fitted and it's never happened since.

But this is a known Prius issue and was resolved in 2010 and shouldn't have found it's way into the Auris.

I'd also be curious what petrol you use and how long it's been in your tank and whether you keep your car low a lot - I'm thinking ethanol in petrol and moisture/condensation in your petrol tank.

Mechanical issues with the Prius/hybrid engine are virtually and totally unheard of.

Hi Grumpy Cabbie, I am still hoping it is the known manifold problem.

The car was parked up on my drive in wet conditions on Wednesday evening and not started again until Friday morning when there was a frost.

My web search shows Auris and ct200 can have this problem.

I usually drive over 350 miles a week so fill up at least once a week. I have never let the tank run dry and only seen the warning light for low fuel come on twice in the 2 years I have owned the car. I do use supermarket fuel as my nearest Waitrose has a Shell Garage. I do not use V-Power as I found it made no difference or slightly worse! I have used Sainsbury's fuel as well in recent weeks.

The Auris continued to have the rough start problem at the dealers! No error codes displayed.

Inlet manifold changed today. Collect tomorrow. Hope that has sorted it.

Gerry

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Tbolt. Hello.

I am having similar problem with my Auruis hybrid 2011. It's done 40k & serviced recently with oil,filter, oil & plugs change.

when cold start, petrol engine starts with judder, misfire & knocking. When it warms up than misfire, knocking reduces to minimum but engine runs hunting revs. ( high/low)  No warning signs or codes on dashboard. Otherwise all seems normal with hybrid system & drives fine.( when petrol engine kicks in, it feels little rough due to engine revs)

Please can someone with similar problems shed any light or correct diagnosis/repairs?

Moved to the Auris club

I had a mis-fire on my Auris 2011 hsd a couple of years ago. I wanted to have a look at the spark plugs, but it`s a right struggle to remove them. What I did find was one of the coils was wet and rusting, so I got a used prius coil. Problem solved.

If Its not a coil fault, it can be an injector.