Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quietest Tyres

weeleyboy

I have an 09 avensis estate petrol auto with Pirelli 215.55 r17 on the front and same size Bridgestones in the rear and I feel that the road noise is too loud especially on concrete roads. Has anyone found a quieter brand they would recommend?

Using the EU tyre ratings, current Pirellis in this size have noise ratings of between 71 and 73db, and Bridgestones 71db. A tyre with a quiet noise rating is the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT at 67db.

Bear in mind though that for the EU tyre ratings, tyre noise is measured externally and may be different to the noise generated inside the car.

Just been looking at tyres and the Blackcircles site shows fuel economy, wet grip and tyre noise ratings. In the medium price range Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres look a good bet at A rating for wet grip, b for fuel economy and only 68dB noise rating. I woiuld also be pleased to hear what tyres Avensis users rate as low on noise.

I'm currently running EfficientGrip Performance (albeit in an 18"/lower profile size) & they were an improvement on the oem Bridgestones.

The Dunlop BlueResponse (currently not available in 215/55 but 225/50 R17) is apparently very similar.

As part of a joint venture between Sumitomo Tyres and Goodyear, Goodyear own 75% of Dunlop's European and North American operations - tyres produced by Goodyear/Dunlop will be quite similar.

I'm currently running EfficientGrip Performance (albeit in an 18"/lower profile size) & they were an improvement on the oem Bridgestones.

The Dunlop BlueResponse (currently not available in 215/55 but 225/50 R17) is apparently very similar.

I have the dunlop responses on mine, been on since xmas - great low noise tyre, and my mate has put them on his rover 75 tourer following my advice, we both had the t001 fitted

I have now done 2000 miles with still similar low noise levels

cheers

john

+1 for goodyear efficient grips. Just put 2 on the front of my t25, Engine sounds like its reving its nuts off now the road noise is almost inaudible.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question, much appreciated

Derek

Hi Derek.

You might find this article of interest.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/58901/tyre-noise

Mike.

That's an 8 year old article, though.Tyres have changed since then.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for pointing out the age of the article, i didn't notice that.

Regards Mike.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had Goodyear efficient grips on my mk2 T25 when I got it. I was annoyed how much noisier this car is compared to my old mk1. Then I changed the front ones for Kumho and it got quieter. Waiting for the rears to wear out so I can change those as well. Never have liked Goodyear but like them less now, but that's just my view.

Hi, I had Goodyear efficient grips on my mk2 T25 when I got it. I was annoyed how much noisier this car is compared to my old mk1. Then I changed the front ones for Kumho and it got quieter. Waiting for the rears to wear out so I can change those as well. Never have liked Goodyear but like them less now, but that's just my view.

That's interesting as i'm considering buying a full set of these as they are rated at only 69db with B for fuel eff and A for wet braking and have have good reviews everywhere I've seen.

I'm also considering the Dunlop SP Sportmax RT as they are rated at 67db.

My current tyres are mixed on both axles and make an awful drone, it's driving me mad :(

Using the reg. of my departed T25 none of the Kumho tyres from their selector are certificated as lower noise than the EfficientGrip/EfficientGrip Performance (or the Dunlop Sport BluResponse equivalent).

I would imagine that any new set of tyres is going to sound quieter than a worn set though.

• 1 month later...

hi Derek.

I too have been looking for quiet tyres. I have found two. one is the Hankook ventus prime[k425] and the other is the kumho kh27. these have both come 1st in tests for cabin noise. kwik fit do the hankooks . hope this helps.

martin..

Hi Martin, thanks for that, I'll give them a try when it's time to replace the current tyres (hopefully not imminent!)

Derek

Hi, the best tyres for low noise are Michelin fuel savers, I tried lots of different types and found them to be the best 205/16/55. If you mix tyres you can't tell what going on !

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Hi, the best tyres for low noise are Michelin fuel savers, I tried lots of different types and found them to be the best 205/16/55. If you mix tyres you can't tell what going on !

Any idea what tyre wear is like for the Michelin fuel savers?

Very good depending on your driving style. The tyres on my car have done approx 24k . The tyre depth front last service @ Mr T 4/5 mil. Rear 5/6 mil.