Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch - Slipping. But In A Weird Way...

Alex_O

Hey

So I bought a 2006 2.2 diesel Avensis. This is the first Toyota I've owned and bought it on the basis that my gf has the 2.0 litre version and I was so impressed with the engine and all round ease at which it chomps up the miles.

However... a problem swiftly revealed itself: when you're driving like a w##ker the clutch sometimes slips - but only under the following circumstances:

Floor it in a higher gear (3rd onwards) up to around 4,000 rpm; hit the clutch, bang it up a gear, quickly release the clutch and floor it at the same time. Now, the engine will straight away spin up to near 4,000 rpm again with the clutch full released - whilst the car still accelerates, the engine should only be doing around 2,500 rpm. It feels like it's suddenly turned into an automatic, or worse, one of those CVT cars. If you ease off the accelerator and allow the revs to fall to the 'correct' speed, the clutch grips and flooring it again gives no further slippage.

Also, with the car in a high gear and at peak torque (which feels around 2,000 - 2,500 rpm) flooring it does not cause the clutch to slip either.

The car has done...

21,000 miles

Any ideas? Please god not a new clutch and dmf. But if so, then how? on a 21k miler?

Thx

Alex

This may be the early sign of clutch wear. The clutch pressure plate may have weakened or the thrust bearing is sticking on the input shaft.

The low mileage does not guarantee the clutch will be fine, if you don't know how the previous owner drove the car. The driving conditions, driving style like heavy use of clutch/riding the clutch pedal, can effect the wear rate of the clutch.

How is the biting point. May be it could be adjusted, but will it stop the clutch slip?

The friction at high rpm generates more heat hence more slip. Once the friction has stopped and the clutch cooled, the grip will be good. Think of brake fade but with the clutch. That is why in normal use there is no slippage.

To me it is the beginning of the slippage and will get worse.

I think it is a replacement clutch. :mad2:

• Like 1

Hi. Thx for the reply! I know that mileage is no guarantee - but avensis clutches seem good for at least 70k miles. If that's the case, I personally would really struggle to wear one out within 20k miles. Maybe the previous owner was always stuck in traffic on steep hills and didn't know what the handbrake was for

Biting point seems fine. Somewhere near the middle.

So, about £1k for a new one? Will they replace the magic flywheel too (or is it a really bad idea NOT to do so)?

Also - thx for clutch 'fade' science! :)

• Like 1

So, about £1k for a new one? Will they replace the magic flywheel too (or is it a really bad idea NOT to do so)?

For that price I would think that the DMF would be part of the change.

If you are good with the clutch, it would last 150k miles. Your point about not using the handbrake is my case in point - holding a car on hill using biting point! Also I have seen some people use a lot of revs whilst parking, and slipping the clutch whilst driving. That on top of riding the clutch.

Even the best clutches will suffer.

Also - thx for clutch 'fade' science! :)

Alex,

That was the theory. It is the practical that is the issue.

I noticed the his and hers car in your profile picture.

Also read up on your engine if not done already!

Since you live in Sussex with fairly fast roads diesels are fine, unless you live in 20mph Brighton.

Konrad :thumbsup:

Ha! Yep - hers 120k miles, no air con, no radio, battered and bruised and now sold. But still, a great engine. And I had a classic mini which was a massive headache. Super fun to drive and cute as hell, but the costs of ownership and heartache...

So we're sharing this one.

And yeh - we live in Brighton, but gf does 20k miles a year atm all over Sussex and kent. So it'll be fine

Thx again! :D

Also - have read a bit on the engine - they're kinda oil hungry, right?

Yes. 2.2 has oil and head gasket issues.

I go to Brighton quite regularly for the car days like Mini, classic cars, Brighton Breeze VW. I ride on bike to get around. Got friends in Peacehaven.

My car was registered in the area, so even though I live in SE London/Kent, the car visits it's spiritual home.

Back to the clutch, I sure there are members who are local who will know a decent clutch person who keeps the costs down.

I have very similar slipping issues. Most of the cost seems to come from the DMF. Does this really need replacing, or will just a new clutch plate be fine?

Depends what you class as hungry but, no, they shouldn't be. If it is you may have problems.

Depends what you class as hungry but, no, they shouldn't be. If it is you may have problems.

I would say more thirsty and that is with diesel. We all know the worst engine for oil consumption is the early 1.8 vvti engine. What you have to watch with the 2.2 is the head gasket.

Ok. So, what warning signs am I looking for? And anything I can do to avoid a failure?

keep it clean.

go to the "Basic faqs by diesel drivers" topic pinned at the top of this forum & read it paying particular attention to the EGR section & the "AD engines Gasket" attachment.