Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D, D-Cat And D Engines What Is The Difference

bitwood

Attended the dealers today and bought a 2.0 litre 2WD Rav. Test drove both, but felt the 2.0 litre fitted our needs more than the 2.2.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Congrats, enjoy your new ride :D

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have a 2012 Toyota rav4 2.2 D-Cat, the fuel economy is around 30mpg average town /city driving, it's pretty poor I think, can the D cat system be removed to increase the economy? Also is it true this engine has an xtra cylinder? 

On 3/4/2015 at 8:57 PM, Devon Aygo said:

D-Cat is Toyota's name for a version of a DPF that also includes NOx reduction called a DPNR this uses an additional 5th injector to add fuel into the filter to burn off diesel particulates.

The above is extracted from Devon Aygo's earlier response to this topic. Under the revised MOT that was introduced in May 2018, removal of the D-Cat system, as it is a form of DPF, will mean an MOT failure.

The D-Cat engine doesn't have an extra cylinder, it has a fifth injector.

43 minutes ago, Chrisone1 said:

Hi, I have a 2012 Toyota rav4 2.2 D-Cat, the fuel economy is around 30mpg average town /city driving, it's pretty poor I think, can the D cat system be removed to increase the economy? Also is it true this engine has an xtra cylinder? 

Is it two or four wheel drive? Is it manual or auto? IIRC 30 mpg is par for the course but check your exact model on Honest John's  Real MPG site for some comparison figures.

I don't believe that you can remove the D-CAT "system" technically (the more mechanically minded might know better) but it certainly would pass the current MoT if modified in such a way.

No, it's still got 4 cylinders ... 🙂 ... there's a fifth injector used to insert fuel into the exhaust system to be burnt as part of the cat regen system - the regen happens periodically

Hi Chris.

I have the same car as you but mine is a year newer, sorry I am not meaning anything by that comment.

My fuel consumption is also appalling also, 30 mpg is not quite achievable in mine , I was expecting at least 40mpg, I wished!.

No the car does not 5 cylinders but it has 5 injectors, the 5th one is in the exhaust but at the engine end, this is to burn off noxious impurities that go down the exhaust system so technically 'waste' fuel to make you exhaust fumes less dangerous.

Just make sure you take your car for a 70mph run on a weekly basis to clean out the exhaust system, it's far cheaper doing it this way then a replacing part of the exhaust system, some Toyota spare parts are prices you just won't believe.

Good luck, Mike.

All quoted fuel consumptions are based on EU standards which allow all sorts of tricker and bear no relation to real world figures..

(I understood the above several years ago and it has been well publicised by motoring journalists and magazines..Road tests cover that usually in some detail. I never ever buy a car without reading at least two road tests..Ditto any white goods..)

• 1 month later...

Just returned to this forum after a long absence,had a 2006 2.2 136 bhp rav 4,with replacement toyota reworked engine achieving 50 mpg.Now driving 2014 148 bhp 2.2 and only getting 40 mpg.So much for newer cars.!!!!

1 hour ago, Badgersdad said:

Just returned to this forum after a long absence,had a 2006 2.2 136 bhp rav 4,with replacement toyota reworked engine achieving 50 mpg.Now driving 2014 148 bhp 2.2 and only getting 40 mpg.So much for newer cars.!!!!

Your 2006 Rav would have only had a basic Catalytic convertor to meet the emissions regulations of the time, your 2014 Rav has been saddled with both a Catalytic convertor & diesel particulate/Nox filter to meet the more stringent regulations. Both of these require the addition of fuel into the exhaust from time to time to Regenerate and clear the filters all resulting in less actual miles per gallon

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I own a awd 2.2 rav4 est 2015 and was told it was euro5 engine but not euro 6 and it wont be aloud on the roads soon because of the emissions. I was then told if i have a D-CAT engine it will be ok? Sorry im confused. Can anyone help me to understand please? Can i do anything to change whats needed in my car to meet with this new requirement?

Appreciate your help.....

5 hours ago, Ant225 said:

Hi there

I own a awd 2.2 rav4 est 2015 and was told it was euro5 engine but not euro 6 and it wont be aloud on the roads soon because of the emissions. I was then told if i have a D-CAT engine it will be ok? Sorry im confused. Can anyone help me to understand please? Can i do anything to change whats needed in my car to meet with this new requirement?

Appreciate your help.....

Pop your registration number into this site: http://eurostandards.co.uk/ and it will tell you what Euro emissions standard your engine is certified to. I suspect that it will tell you the answer is 5b but please let us know ...

Also let us know whether your RAV is manual or auto - it may make a difference.

Toyota introduced the marketing term D-CAT when it introduced the corresponding emissions control technology to higher performance engines and automatic transmissions - i.e. the x180s and SR autos. And then subsequently dropped the D-CAT designation once the same emissions control technology was deployed across the range of RAV 2,2 diesels. So, in essence, you will have a D-CAT engine, but without the D-CAT designation. Clear as mud isn't it!

As far as I can tell from the details on my V5 my Euro 5 certified engine satisfies the emissions requirements of the Euro 6 standard but its still Euro 5. Which means it might be banned or charged more to drive into certain cities that I don't particularly want to visit anyway. I'm not aware of any plans to ban Euro 5 vehicles from the road any time soon. Note that the changes to the MoT merely require a car to continue to meet the emissions standards that it was designed to meet. It doesn't retrospectively move the goal posts.

HTH

We have a 2014 Rav 4 2.2 AWD Auto as a family car and we only acheive 24.5 mpg in city driving (only if there is someone sensible driving) but can get about 35mpg on motorway which was concerning at first but while speaking to a friend, he told me that the Rav4 is heavy so that  kind of mpg is expected. I only came across this topic when trying to workout if why the last generation 2.2 D-Cat was more powerful than the one in 2014 as I thorght that they were the same. I am also supprised that my car is Euro 5 as it was registed at the end of 2014 (November) and I read somewhere that all new diesels from Sep/Oct had to meet Euro 6 Standards. Can anyone shed any light on this matter please?

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, usta said:

We have a 2014 Rav 4 2.2 AWD Auto as a family car and we only acheive 24.5 mpg in city driving (only if there is someone sensible driving) but can get about 35mpg on motorway which was concerning at first but while speaking to a friend, he told me that the Rav4 is heavy so that  kind of mpg is expected. I only came across this topic when trying to workout if why the last generation 2.2 D-Cat was more powerful than the one in 2014 as I thorght that they were the same. I am also supprised that my car is Euro 5 as it was registed at the end of 2014 (November) and I read somewhere that all new diesels from Sep/Oct had to meet Euro 6 Standards. Can anyone shed any light on this matter please?

Many Thanks

The Euro 6 standard was introduced from September 2015.

I don't believe that Toyota ever made the 2.2 AD engine Euro 6 compliant. Instead from the 2016 model year they introduced the 2.5 petrol hybrid and the 2.0 BMW derived diesel (FWD manual only) in addition to the existing 2.0 petrol (AWD CVT) that were Euro 6 compliant. The 2.2 AD was simply dropped from the range.

Cars with new Type Approval had to be Euro 6 from September 2014. All new cars sold from September 2015 had to be Euro 6.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Cars with new Type Approval had to be Euro 6 from September 2014. All new cars sold from September 2015 had to be Euro 6.

... and Type Approval for the RAV 4.4 would, presumably, have been in 2012 (with the 2013 model year) and so under Euro 5 rules. So Toyota didn't need to worry about the RAV 4 until the blanket rule was applied in 2015 ...

4 hours ago, usta said:

Many Thanks

Hi, I have a late 2012 D-Cat, AWD, very low mileage and my fuel economy is less then 30mpg and it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it. They drink far more fuel than I ever imagined. It's certainly not slow but drink diesel about 28 mpg is normal ggrrrr!

Regards, Mike. 

I thought that it was the sale of new cars after September. Thanks for mentioning that Philip and Frosty. I think for a diesel's to be Euro 6 Compliant it has to use AdBlue which I wonder why they didn't add that as not all people like petrol. But do you know anything about the old 2.2 and new one? Was it the same underneath as our one because it produces 150BHP and the old one produced 170BHP I think?

The D-cat was used on the "dirtier" engines.

on early 2.2's 2005-2009 there were two options

2.2 2AD-FTV which was the 136bhp manual transmission 4wd

2.2 2AD-FHV which was the 177bhp ( called 180 d-cat as it has a DPNR ) manual transmission 4wd

2009-2012 Toyota updated the diesel options:

2.2 2AD-FTV increased power 147 bhp (called 150) with manual transmission, Gained a DPF in 2010, both 2wd & 4wd

2.2 2AD-FHV with 147bhp ( called d-cat as it has a DPNR) with Auto transmission effectively a detuned 180 4wd

2013> 

2.0 1AD-FTV 126 with manual Transmission 2wd

2.2 2AD-FTV 147 bhp (called 150) with manual transmission 4wd

2.2 2AD-FHV with 147bhp ( called d-cat as it has a DPNR) with Auto transmission 4wd

2016> to drop of diesel engine

2.0 2WW 143 bhp (bmw engine) manual transmission 2wd

1 hour ago, usta said:

I think for a diesel's to be Euro 6 Compliant it has to use AdBlue

iirc the BMW-derived diesels that Toyota introduced are EU6 & don't use AdBlue?

5 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

2.2 2AD-FHV which was the 177bhp ( called 180 d-cat as it has a DPNR ) manual transmission 4wd

2.2 2AD-FTV increased power 147 bhp (called 150) with manual transmission, Gained a DPF in 2010, both 2wd & 4wd

2.2 2AD-FHV with 147bhp ( called d-cat as it has a DPNR) with Auto transmission effectively a detuned 180 4wd

2013> 

2.2 2AD-FHV with 147bhp ( called d-cat as it has a DPNR) with Auto transmission 4wd

Cheers for that. So are the engines the same underneath and was there a specific reason why Toyota detuned the new one? And was it this enigine which had headgasket problems or where they resolved in this gen Rav4. Thanks 🙂

The 180 option with manual transmission was dropped in the UK in 2009 due to poor sales the updated 150 auto had to have the d-cat as the auto box made the emissions too high, yes your 150 auto is the same engine as the 180 but detuned to meet emissions requirements 

• 5 months later...
On 3/4/2015 at 8:57 PM, Devon Aygo said:

I'll try and explain all the differences:

Firstly the names and their meanings:

D4D is Toyota's name for engines using common rail direct injection, 4 cylinders and diesel fuel

DPF is a diesel particulate filter

D-Cat is Toyota's name for a version of a DPF that also includes NOx reduction called a DPNR this uses an additional 5th injector to add fuel into the filter to burn off diesel particulates.

Now the cars:

2000-2005 Rav4.2 Used

2.0 D4D 116bhp called the 1CD-FTV

2005-2009 Rav4.3 Used either:

2.2 D4D 136bhp called the 2AD-FTV

2.2 D4D D-Cat 177bhp called the 2AD-FHV

2009-2010 Rav4.3 Model change used either

2.2 D4D 148bhp Manual transmission called 2AD-FTV

2.2 D4D D-Cat 148bhp Auto transmission called 2AD-FHV

2010-2013 RAV4.3 Final model

2.2 D4D DPF 148bhp Manual transmission called 2AD-FTV

2.2 D4D D-Cat 148bhp Auto tranmission called 2AD-FHV

2013 > Rav4.4 Current model

2.0 D4D D-Cat 124bhp 2wd or 4wd Manual transmission called 1AD-FTV

2.2 D4D D-cat 148bhp Manual transmission called 2AD-FTV

2.2 D4D D-Cat 148bhp Auto tranmission called 2AD-FHV

On the current Rav4 Toyota have stopped using the D-cat name as all the engines use this technology so there is no need to differentiate.

Hello devon not related to this topic can you point me in the right direction as  what's best to change 1st on my rav 4 2.2 diesel 2006 code p0093 thanks 

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2019 at 9:26 PM, Devon Aygo said:

2013> 

Hi sorry to arrive late but this is such a great list of engine options.

I have a 2008 DCAT, the 177bhp car.  Touch wood I haven't had the fatal head gasket failure yet, but am now well outside any warranty/goodwill on it.  I think several cars are scrapped in the UK, but where I live in Portugal, the car itself is still worth 10k+ and drives fine for me.

IF I encountered HGF (warped head, whatever) and needed a new/replaced engine, would it be possible / would I gain anything by swapping for a 2013+ model?  I see they are all 2AD.  My car is manual not auto.  Would it be a straight swap, or a little modification, or a lot? ECU might need to be changed....

Any thoughts on that?

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I bought recently a second hand Rav4 2.2 D-Cat and it looks like its having a fuel injector problem since its doing a lot of white smoke when on idle or low revs. I bought a brand new DPF and sent the injectors to test. Three are ok, 1 is making a lot of return. The 5th one is somehow basic, and its ok.

I would like to know if anybody can help me identify the type of the engine is inside the car, since i have some doubts it couldn't be the original one. 
Where can i check if its a 2AD-FHV OR A 2AD-FTV? The engine has the D-Cat cover, and the 5th injector. Is a 2.2 D-Cat from 2006 Rav4 III.

There are two different references on the 4 injectors. 23670-26011 and 23670-26020. Both very expensive at Toyota Original Parts Dealer, and very  rare to find good trustworth ones on second hand. And this is why i would like to know what are the denso references compatible with the engine. But first i must be sure about the engine.  

Thanks in advance to those who can help me. 

1 hour ago, Atrofiado said:

Hi!

I bought recently a second hand Rav4 2.2 D-Cat and it looks like its having a fuel injector problem since its doing a lot of white smoke when on idle or low revs. I bought a brand new DPF and sent the injectors to test. Three are ok, 1 is making a lot of return. The 5th one is somehow basic, and its ok.

I would like to know if anybody can help me identify the type of the engine is inside the car, since i have some doubts it couldn't be the original one. 
Where can i check if its a 2AD-FHV OR A 2AD-FTV? The engine has the D-Cat cover, and the 5th injector. Is a 2.2 D-Cat from 2006 Rav4 III.

There are two different references on the 4 injectors. 23670-26011 and 23670-26020. Both very expensive at Toyota Original Parts Dealer, and very  rare to find good trustworth ones on second hand. And this is why i would like to know what are the denso references compatible with the engine. But first i must be sure about the engine.  

Thanks in advance to those who can help me. 

As Lee stated in an earlier post:

On 6/18/2019 at 9:26 PM, Devon Aygo said:

So it would appear that you have a 2.2 2AD-FHV which was the 177bhp (called 180 d-cat as it has a DPNR). Had it been a UK car I'd expect it to be designated T180 ... is it?