Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Performance Avensis 2.2 D4-D

DaveH52

I'm new to Toyota ownership. I bought a 2007 Avensis 2.2 D4-D a few weeks ago. When I test drove it, I thought it was a bit slow, but it had only done 11K miles in the last 3 years, so I thought a good run and blow out would improve things. It didn't.

Then things got worse. Eventually it went into limp home mode with what I now know to be the common dash warning lights on. Garage read the codes and identified EGR valve. I had already looked on here and printed off the excellent EGR valve cleaning instructions!

I've now got the car back and it is much improved. Fuel consumption is much better. It is, however, still slow.

I have got some BG244 in the tank with Shell V power in the hope that further improvement will come.

Is there anything else that I should be checking that could cause poor performance?

Thanks.

I'm new to Toyota ownership. I bought a 2007 Avensis 2.2 D4-D a few weeks ago. When I test drove it, I thought it was a bit slow, but it had only done 11K miles in the last 3 years, so I thought a good run and blow out would improve things. It didn't.

Then things got worse. Eventually it went into limp home mode with what I now know to be the common dash warning lights on. Garage read the codes and identified EGR valve. I had already looked on here and printed off the excellent EGR valve cleaning instructions!

I've now got the car back and it is much improved. Fuel consumption is much better. It is, however, still slow.

I have got some BG244 in the tank with Shell V power in the hope that further improvement will come.

Is there anything else that I should be checking that could cause poor performance?

Thanks.

Try 250ml mineral 2 stroke (red one works best in my experience and make sure it says low ash on the 2 stroke bottle) per tankful of diesel. I used this formula on nearly every diesel I have owned, drives much smoother and quieter with the 2 stroke, less gear changing needed, idles better, fuel burns a lot cleaner, reduced black smoke from exhaust when you floor it, accelerates better, very slightly improved mpg, keeps fuel tank and injectors lubricated, less chance of particle filter clogging up, try it for a few tankfuls and see how you get on. I wonder if people would be getting all these egr problems if they regularly added 2 stroke to the diesel?

They never feel that fast as it's a smooth rather than peaky delivery. Also, I'm pretty sure that in 1st & 2nd (even if you can get a clean quick swap into second) that the ECU limits power delivery so standing starts are not one of it's fortes.

• Like 1

Thanks.

It is the mid range torque that I am missing. Agree it is quite a smooth and quiet engine, but my old Octavia 2.0TDi had a noticeable shove whereas the Avensis rather 'gathers momentum'.

Early days with the additive, then maybe try the 2 stroke oil. It's much cheaper than £20 a tin for the bg244

Not heard of bg244 but I've tried many additives and the vpower fuel, in my opinion the Shell fuel saver diesel with the 2 stroke added is the best, you can feel the difference and notice how much quieter and smoother the car runs, once I got used to running my diesel on 2 stroke I couldn't go back to diesel alone.

It's a bigger, heavier car than an Octavia.

I had switched from BG244 to Archoil 6400-d but with the recent drop in prices & an already clean engine I have just switched to running a premium diesel (my preferred option being Shell).

Hi David - do you know if the garage checked the pressure differential pipe for 'breathability' ? They block up over time & cause poor running & restricted performance, quite possibly triggering the limp home mode. Might be worth checking .....

The 2.2 D4D is a complicated beast with dual mass flywheel, diesel particulate filter, catalytic converter & individually coded injectors. But when it's running right it should be very smooth & quiet. Mine thankfully was.

I doubt that they checked the pipe.

Is it something I can check?

The engine is smooth and quiet and has a rock steady idle.

Does the 2.2 have a DPF? If so, I would think it will be in the same state as the EGR valve.

It's unlikely (but not impossible) that your car has a DPF. If you open the bonnet & the engine cover has D-CAT on it then it will though.

I doubt that they checked the pipe.

Is it something I can check?

The engine is smooth and quiet and has a rock steady idle.

Does the 2.2 have a DPF? If so, I would think it will be in the same state as the EGR valve.

Mine says 'D-CAT' on the engine cover & it has a DPF, so I'd imagine yours does too ......

at that age in the UK only T180 (or in Auris SR180) had D-CAT (or indeed any form of DPF) as standard. The standard 150bhp version (like my 57 plate) didn't.

Thats a relief in a way!

Mine is a 57 plate.

Still leaves the question open as to what is holding it back. MAF or MAP sensor?

It feels like there is little boost.

I've only done 70 miles with the tank additive, so early days yet.

I'm going to run this tank through and try the 2 stroke oil in the next tankfull.

My daily commute is 22 miles each way, mostly motorway, so keeping it clean once it is sorted shouldn't be a problem.

Thats a relief in a way!

Mine is a 57 plate.

Still leaves the question open as to what is holding it back. MAF or MAP sensor?

It feels like there is little boost.

I've only done 70 miles with the tank additive, so early days yet.

I'm going to run this tank through and try the 2 stroke oil in the next tankfull.

My daily commute is 22 miles each way, mostly motorway, so keeping it clean once it is sorted shouldn't be a problem.

From memory, i think it was Mercedes Benz in Germany that tried all the different fuel additives on the market, around 2006 or 2007. They found all the additives on the market did absolutely nothing but the 2 stroke worked wonders. If you search the internet there should be a report on it somewhere.

I have personal experience of using many different types of additives, expensive diesel etc, the only additive where I could hear and feel the difference was 2 stroke.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1641783-2-cycle-diesel-additive-fix-ulsd.html

The first post in the above thread explains a little about the german study on adding 2 stroke to diesel. I think the Americans have known about this trick for many years. Lots on the internet if you search. I've used 2 stroke on many diesels I have owned and only experienced benefits.

Interesting article.

I have heard of this before and have yet to see any particularly negative facts.

Most adverse comment seems to centre around 'the manufacturers don't recommend it'.

Interesting article.

I have heard of this before and have yet to see any particularly negative facts.

Most adverse comment seems to centre around 'the manufacturers don't recommend it'.

Yes it's true manufacturers don't recommend it, but I read up lots on the topic before I decided to start adding 2 stroke years ago, it cannot do any damage to your car and can only benefit, once you have tried it you will understand why I rave about it so much. I used to add it every time I filled up.

Well, 300 miles on and things are looking up.

Cleaning the EGRrestored normal running and a bit of the performance. I'm still on the same tank of diesel with additive, but performance is gradually improving.

Fuel consumption is much better. Gone from 47mpg (trip computer reading) to 56. Even got 61mpg on my 22 mile commute to work.

I will give the 2 strke oil a go and see if that keeps things on track.

I find getting full throttle can be a bit deceptive. Sometimes, I think I have floored it then find another inch of pedal travel. A period of adjustment, I guess. I think the side of my foot catches the inner wheel arch before full throttle is achieved.

All in all, a much nicer car to drive now.

Thanks for the replies.

Used 2T for years no problems and runs sweet. Running Shell Vmax nitro with it now,very smooth.

Amazon doing 5lit. Comma Mineral (green) low ash delivered for £17.49. Got mine this morning,quick delivery too,only ordered Monday!

Used 2T for years no problems and runs sweet. Running Shell Vmax nitro with it now,very smooth.

Amazon doing 5lit. Comma Mineral (green) low ash delivered for £17.49. Got mine this morning,quick delivery too,only ordered Monday!

I always found the red 2 stroke better, maybe it's in my head but the engine sounded smoother with the red 2 stroke. I've heard other people say the same thing.

Mmm interesting! I thought 'red' was synthetic n' not as good as mixing like mineral but perhaps someone else has more info than me. Never used anything but comma and seems fine. I rarely get a regen either. Bye the way, is there a dash light that comes on when it is doing a regen? cos' I don't get any warning light at all.

Cheers, Nick.

Ps. I did most of my 2T research on VW forums in the past so I think thats how I stick with mineral,rightly or wrongly! :)

Mineral 2 stroke is best, you can get both red and green mineral 2 stroke, just make sure it says low ash on the packaging. I haven't had a diesel for a few years now but I used to use 2 stroke on every fill up as it improved the driving experience so much, like I said it may be just be in head but I thought the red 2 stroke made more of a noticeable difference than the green 2 stroke and I have read of others saying the same. I think you can use semi-synthetic 2 stroke too as long as it's low ash but the mineral 2 stroke mixes better and is also cheaper.

I've ordered Shell Advance 2T from Opie Oils. It's a mineral oil, and I'm sure I saw a picture which showed it was red.

Maybe next time, I'll look at the Comma alternative.

I used to use the cheap carlube 2 stroke, less than £5 a litre.