Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Cable Is Reverse Light Feed?

meloned

:blushing:Hi folks just wondering fitting the reverse sensors which wire do I connect to get the power feed from reverse light regards Meloned

ps I have looked on the site and it seems the red one on top but just want to double check

post-102607-0-57654800-1425822205_thumb.

Yes you are correct. Reverse is red/black and earth is white/black.

The Haynes manual has the wiring diagrams which is fairly accurate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks this is a 2007 t25 model this is correct for this model then as it does not have a Haynes manual for it regards Meloned .

I did not look at your profile properly, but the cabling is exactly the same as my car which is Mk1

post-76861-0-74520800-1425836617_thumb.jpost-76861-0-68680100-1425836629_thumb.j

There is another way of testing if you have a multimeter. Connect to the two cables and see if the reading changes when selecting reverse.

• Like 1

I did not look at your profile properly, but the cabling and connector is very similar as my car which is Mk1

post-76861-0-74520800-1425836617_thumb.jpost-76861-0-68680100-1425836629_thumb.j

There is another way to check the cabling. Using a multimeter connect to the wires and select reverse.

Many thanks Konrad c your a great help ! Top man 😊

Will attach to that cable for live and there is a bolt which I will use as the earth : )

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to get the reverse sensors wires into the car? I'm putting some on without taking the bumper off and can't find a grommet close to the lights to feed the sensor wires through. I've checked the pdf file on the toyota help site but it refers to taking the bumper off which I don't want to do. Any help is appreciated. 

There isn't a 'grommet' as such. I fitted an aftermarket system consisting of a sensitised tape to the inside of the bumper. The bumper did have to come off (obviously). The only route I found back into the vehicle was the drain flaps located low down behind the inner wheel arches under the carpeting. You should be able to fish some cabling through those. Avoid removing the rear bumper if you can. The design around the wheel arch is poor and the clips on the bumper itself very fragile. Damage any of those and you will have to be very inventive with cable ties to reattach the bumper. 

Thanks gazza. I've seen the flaps so will try that. Doesn't look like any other way to get the cables through near enough to the reverse light cluster. Here's a test for you, which I'm struggling with. From the diagram/photo above, is the earth cable the white one. I've got the same setup and tested with a voltmeter. I get readings on all the cables when testing and keeping the red from voltmeter to red on cluster and moving black from voltmeter to any of the other wires. Appreciate the help. 

Yes the white wire (with black line) is earth. It's the same colour for all toyotas.

Confirming an earth isn't via the voltmeter option on a multimeter. It's done using the 'curcuit' option. Connect one probe to a bolt to the body Shell. The other probe to a wire suspected of being an earth. If you're right the needle swings or you get a tone. If you're wrong - no response. (for that light cluster, the bulbs would need to be removed) 

• Like 1

Thanks gazza. You're an avensis wizard. I tried to route the cabling through the near side vent flap but the underside is covered with a plastic cover that is attached by screws to the bumper. Any way I can get around this without taking screws off or the bumper? It's blocking any cabling going through to the air flaps. Appreciate the help. 

I've just checked mine. I can reach the vent and touch where the flex emerges from underneath - without having to unbolt anything. I would suggest using some bowden cable (bike brake cable) from inside the boot area to push past the flaps on the vent. Once you've got sufficient length dangling through, tape the wiring from the sensor(s) onto the cable and draw it back inside. Practice with a different flex if there are delicate connectors involved. It should work. 

• 3 years later...

I want to put a reverse camera on my Toyota avensiss estate it's a 07 plate but how do I find the live cable can anybody help

1 hour ago, Nigel kantans said:

I want to put a reverse camera on my Toyota avensiss estate it's a 07 plate but how do I find the live cable can anybody help

If Toyota are consistent with the wiring colours, red with black line is the reverse. Looking at my old Haynes manual, the cable is the same colour from the switch to the light cluster.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, Nigel kantans said:

Thank you for all your help yes it is the red and black line cable

On 4/29/2020 at 1:46 PM, Konrad C said:

If Toyota are consistent with the wiring colours, red with black line is the reverse. Looking at my old Haynes manual, the cable is the same colour from the switch to the light cluster.

Thanks my friend you were right

• Thanks 1