Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 Brake Fluid

Steve CC

I’m planning on doing a brake fluid change on my 2009 T27
1.8 Valvematic.

I’ll be using my cheap and cheerful Gunson Eezibleed.

I understand that the clutch is fed from the same reservoir
as the brakes.

Does anyone know where the slave cylinder and bleed nipple
for the clutch is, and is it easily accessible?

Do any wheels need to come off or can I access the brake calliper
nipples by raising the car a touch?

Thanks

Steve

Access will be far easier with the wheels removed. I've never considered doing it any other way. Of course garages have two post lifts. Also it will give a chance for a route round. Check ball joint and track rod arm rubbers etc.

The clutch bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder on the gearbox bell housing. You'll need to remove the upper plasic trim panels at the front or the lower left side engine guard.

never hear of people doing a brake fluid change as a matter of routine maintenance.

I do see most manuals recommend change every 2 years or so though.

any reason for doing this?

The release/slave cylinder is integral to the release bearing on your Avensis, beware of using a vacuum bleeder as it can damage the seals inside the release bearing ( gearbox out to replace ) the correct procedure is:

post-45863-0-12708400-1426016537_thumb.p

never hear of people doing a brake fluid change as a matter of routine maintenance.

I do see most manuals recommend change every 2 years or so though.

any reason for doing this?

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water which has a much lower boiling point then the brake fluid, Brake fluid gets very hot under use and if it contains water then the water will boil creating steam pockets in the brake lines, steam is more easily compressed the brake fluid meaning the brake pedal may drop excessively when pressed resulting in a lack of brake effort on the pads and shoes and is very dangerous.

Toyota say that brake fluid should be replaced every two years ( regardless of mileage ) to ensure the moisture content does not get too high resulting in the above .

That's great, thanks chaps.

I try and change brake fluid every 2 to 3 years on my car/s, bike, for the reasons mentioned.

Lee, I guess the Gunson bleeder, which pressurises the system may still give problems with seals?

Once I've done the clutch, can I use the Eezibleed to do the brakes as normal?

Is there now a manual available for the T27 or was that screenshot from Toyota Tech?

My previous car was a Galaxy and ther was a huge amount of DIY stuff and manuals on-line.

Not so for the Avensis, maybe it's too reliable!

Thanks for the help - much appreciated

Steve

yeah I get the whole hygroscopic deal as im in the game, I meant even so it usually is a sealed system that gets neglected and only changed or topped up and bled as part of another repair.

im just a curious git lol

I used dot 5.1 in my track cars as it had a higher boiling point but was more hygroscopic.

what im trying to ask is there a valid reason for the fluid change on a 2009 apart from recommended book maintenance timescale that is really just there to cover manufacturers behinds

correct me if im wrong as I only have my perspective on things

has op experienced spongy or fading brakes

i never hear of anyone thinking ill just do a brake fluid change because the book says so.

dealerships never change brake fluid on their servicing that im aware of and they "service a lot of cars over 2 years old"

has someone used a refractometer or chemical strip etc and told op it needs changing

Dont get me wrong

Good on op for changing fluid if thats all its about.

99.9% dont bother

Clutch and brakes all work ok, I just don't like the idea of possibly dirty and water contaminated fluid in contact with expensive seals and pistons.

I can't see a problem with using a pressure bleeder . All the seal damge problems seem to be linked to manual bleeding?

Steve

Sorry steve just seen your answers after my reply.

Regarding gunson easibleed

Is it the one you fit to an inflated tyre?

If you have a csc no pressurised bleeding is advised incase you blow sealing facings past seals and have to do job all over

As stated, Toyota say every two years and the dealers just follow this instruction.

A ex Master Tech from another well know Japanese brand states he test the fluid for moister content before changing. This can be done with a basic multimeter, google it. Most main stream dealers wouldn't bother as it's a revenue stream regardless of the condition of the fluid.

So the choice is yours, go with two years or keep testing it! For me I think I'll keep testing it but probably have it changed at say 4/5 years even if it tests out OK.

dealerships never change brake fluid on their servicing that im aware of and they "service a lot of cars over 2 years old"

I enquired about mine and it was included in a major service from my Toyota dealer at no extra cost.

I'm now worried that what I thought would be a simple job could go pear shaped!

I take it that the T27 has csc and that pressure bleeding is not recommended. Or can I pressure bleed the brakes once clutch is manually bled?

• 5 years later...
On 3/11/2015 at 12:24 AM, avensis rob said:

what im trying to ask is there a valid reason for the fluid change on a 2009 apart from recommended book maintenance timescale that is really just there to cover manufacturers behinds

It's old tread, but let's clear some facts...

As before mentioned - fluid is very hygroscopic. 

One effect of moisture in fluid is fading of brakes when overheating due to lowered boiling point... But this is not the case during daily trips...

MAIN reason for regular fluid replacement is that this moisture / water is heavier than fluid and drops down to lower part of brake system - brake cylinders, brake pipes etc...

And where heated/cooled this water there start corrosion. 

Everyone, which bleed brake system of car above 4-5 years can confirm - fluid there is very 'durty', non transperant and 'unhealthy' color...

I can show a picture of rusted  brake piston (sealed side) - heavy corrosion, which required replacement of piston. Good news was that cylinder was not damaged hardly.

So, when bleed regularly - you clean the system and prevent corossion...

Also this procedure is not expensive at all (hope in UK is cheap procedure too)...

Thus i m replacing this fluid when it's old about 4-5 years (yes, not on 40,000km or 2 years 🙂 )...