Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Petrol Yaris Ingress Into Engine Bay.

mrpj

It would look like Toyota have done little to prevent road water spray entering the 1.33 Yaris engine bay.

As a result the whole, mostly front, of my engine, gearbox and some, is covered in dried road salt. Obviously now baked/dried on. I'm surprised the alternator still works, it's not at all enclosed and is covered inside and out.

I don't want to start water washing due to the risks involved to sensitive electrics/electronics etc.. Is there any suitable product in the form of a spray bottle or aerosol that anyone knows of to use and eradicate/neutralise all this salt?

This is the only car I've owned in many years where this has happened!

Every car I have owned has had water spray in the engine bay..

As above, they're designed for it and there shouldn't be an issue.

I've always used a pressure washer periodically (depending on how much dirt build up there has been) inside the engine bay of all of the new cars I have owned in order to prevent this, as well as keeping the engine bay looking like new, and have never experienced a problem in doing so.

Modern engine installations are really well waterproofed and you would have to be do something extremely silly to cause an electrical problem whilst using a pressure washer (like getting too close with the jet for example...).

What I usually do is to make sure that the engine is at full working temperature first before I clean it. That way, everything dries out relatively quickly after its had a soaking and if there are any remaining "puddles" or pooling of water, I just use my leaf blower to clear them up quickly before re-starting the engine to bring it back up to full working temperature to finish off the drying process. Never experienced a failed re-start or even a misfire by using this methodology and before someone asks, yes, I have already done it on my Yaris Hybrid without a problem at all. :)

(have used that in the past too...)

Google acf50 :)

Good call - not heard of acf50, so very useful

Purely by coincidence I've just received an aerosol of this (ACF50) from an eBay supplier. It's not cheap unfortunately.

Used to use it on a motorbike some years ago, but then bought it in the bulk pack and used a pump sprayer.