Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Auto Gearbox Problem - 2002 Reg

Ash_of_LE

Hi,

I've only just joined the site and would appreciate some advice or point me to other posts.

The gearbox has seized up, it's always being a bit awkward to get into 1 & 2 (which never bothered me as I rarely used them).

My local garage has confirmed the shifter & cable are OK and is going to do a quick check before it's removed and sent off to to his gearbox mate to have a look.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be a re-build/re-con (worst case) or hopefully something simple?

If worst case what is the costs likely to be?

I've since found out the the ECU upgrade that would have stopped the occasional clunky change hasn't been done!

How did Toyota get away with not doing a recall on this, yet they did in the USA?

Until now it's been great!

Thanks

Ashley

The voluntary recall system is only used when a safety related defect becomes apparent. A clunky gear change isn't safety related.

This might sound like a silly question but have you checked the ATF? I've owned a variety of RAVs since 2002 and have never heard of the autobox seizing up, in fact it is probably one of the very best autos you can buy.

Were there any other synptoms before it seized, e.g. strange smells, noises from the box, etc? If the selector and cables are OK (I must admit that I always thought that the selector was simply a switch with no mechanical linkage but, hey, I'm no mechanic) and the ATF is correct and not burnt (smell the dipstick) it might be an ECU problem and therefore worth sending the ECU off to ECUTesting. If it's not faulty they will make a small-ish nominal charge and if it is, the cost is something like £200 + VAT (mention TOC & you get a 10% discount). That's got to be cheaper initially than removing & pulling the box apart. Obviously it's still a punt if the ECU is OK but a reasonable one in my view.

Alot of garages automatically (no pun intended) opt for a new box & ECU which runs to about £2K - that's the standard response from Toyota dealers as well. Hardly any of them will give the ECU test as an option for reasons best known to them.

Toyota recalled the cars for a fix in the States simply because they sell a hell of a lot more cars & trucks in the US than they do in Europe, hence they saw a big risk to their business and there's nothing the US lawyers (and the DoJ) like better than a nice big class action against a car manufacturer, especially a foreign one!

I would check the ecu, a mate of mine runs an Independant toyota garage and have had a few auto gearbox ecu problems !

Hello Ash and a big welcome to you on here

To add to the good advice given did you know that ECU Testing are at Heanor, if that is not far from you

Del

Thanks to all.

My local garage will check the ATF (had to look this up!) tomorrow.

In the meantime I'll make a few calls about the ECU, a no-brainer if they only charge a nominal fee.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A quick update on this for info.

The ECU was re-programmed at Heanor (£200 approx with RAV4 club discount), when fitted back into the vehicle but didn't solve the problem.

We found a build up of rust where the selector cable attaches to the gearbox shaft, this is not covered by a rubber boot. This caused the shaft that goes into the gearbox to seize up and was the reason why 1&2 were difficult to select.

Plenty of WD40 and grease have solved the problem.

I'm now selling the RAV4, anyone interested?

Thanks

Ashley

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links