Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed On An Old Topic - The T180 Engine.

Mlebon

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice please. Just bought a 56 plate Rav4 t180 from a garage (traded in my 02 d4d). I was only half way home after the purchase when (after queuing in traffic) noticed some whitish smoke from the back - only lasted a few seconds, then nothing for the ramainder of the journey and no overheating signs. Got home, inspected under the bonnet, and sure enough - water had been sprayed to the back of the engine from the cooler bottle, and coolant level was way below min!

Rang garage following morning and took it back for them to inspect. Filled the coolant level to max before setting off, checked it after the 80+ mile journey to garage, and coolant was prob 2 inches below min! Been given a courtesy car while they sort it out.

They have tested the coolant with that dye stuff they use for head gasket check - inconclusive they said. So they are checking and have now decided to replace the EGR cooler.... Didn't even know the EGR had a cooler..??

I know you are a very knowledgeable bunch on here so would like to hear your opinions on this.

I would also like to know if Toyota's 7 year/111,000m extended warranty has been known to be flexible at all??

Any advice on my next steps would be appreciated greatly, as I would like this sorted properly. Being aware of some of the issues with this engine (hence replacements etc), I have never come across the EGR cooler issue being mentioned anywhere..?? So that's why I'm a bit sceptical - any ideas or advice anyone?? Cheers!

Oh - forgot to mention the mileage - engine's just turned 70,000 miles.

The measure that Toyota put into place to cover the head gasket issues with the AD series engines is a goodwill measure (although described as an extended warranty in the early part of the thread linked below), and as far as I'm aware, and as previously been stated on the forum, there is no leeway on the 7 years/111,846 miles limit.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Your only course of action is with the garage that you bought the Rav 4 from, especially as the issue displayed itself on your journey home from collecting the vehicle.

Many thanks for clearing that up about the goodwill/warranty and no leeway. At least I can take that out of the equation now.

The garage offer a standard 3 month warranty. I'm just wondering and hoping that any recurring issues will be resolved within that period.

Anyone think that the issue could, in theory, be related to this EGR cooler??

They are trying to fob you off. White smoke in exhaust = water.

Confirmed by the falling water level.

The only solution that will last is a new engine.

Ask for your money back.

You DO NOT WANT to own that car,...It will be a money pit.

Well that's food for thought - this is what I really don't need. I use the car for my courier work and need something reliable, hence the use of my older Rav. I cover a very rural area and daily visits to farms and ridiculous tracks etc warrant the need of this great vehicle. Was upgrading due to wear and tear of my 02 Rav, which has covered nearly 25000 miles in the last 12 months on this terrain.

Really fancied the t180 too.

I would still like to hear some feedback regarding the EGR cooler though - as I still can't find any info on it or its problems....

Yes the EGR system is cooled with coolant from the engine, so it is possible that a faulty EGR cooler is leaking coolant into the exhaust.

Many thanks for that piece of info - it's what I was hoping to hear.

I'm limited with my knowledge on engines - I still don't understand, be it head gasket or EGR cooler - as to why would water be spraying out of the spout on the coolant bottle?? Obviously something to do with pressure build up - just find it strange as the temp gauge was not showing any signs of over heating, which WOULD explain pressure build up...!

Sorry for being dumb on this one - anyone have a simple explanation?

I just need to understand a little incase the garage tries to fob me off

Thanks

If the HG is leaking, you will get exhaust gasses blown into the coolant, pressurising the system and ejecting water from the weakest link.

I am unfamiliar with the EGR valve design: the only way that could happen if the valve itself has corroded and a hole appeared in it so exhaust gases enter it. Seems unlikely to me.. but as I am not familiar with it.

BUT if the EGR valve has corroded, what else has? The coolant system is supposed to run with Toyota's 10 year life PINK OAT coolant.. Check the coolant colour. If it's brown or black then it has corroded. And that is bad news for the Head Gasket.. and the radiator and the engine water pathways. It is an aluminium engine so corrosion can be and usually means erosion of the cylinder head and block mating surfaces.. which means head gasket problems...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links