Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid Tourer - Mid Range?

mad_m4tty

Hi,

I'm seriously considering an Auris hybrid tourer, most of my driving is urban and the commute is <15 miles per day of mostly stop start traffic with a bit of dual carriageway, storage is important as I need space for a baby buggy and all the usual gubbins that goes with kids ;-) but I also don't want something that's going to be a struggle when I need to get past an HGV safely (quickly), on an A-road. So I guess I'm looking for real world experience from any owners in terms of mid range acceleration with this car?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

I also don't want something that's going to be a struggle when I need to get past an HGV safely (quickly), on an A-road.

Why do people think this is what happens in a hybrid?

So I guess I'm looking for real world experience from any owners in terms of mid range acceleration with this car?

It's not a problem.

Can you take one for a test drive?

The original Gen 1 Prius had the same sized petrol engine as the current Yaris Hybrid (1.5L), and slightly less performance - 99 mph limit (106 on speedo [i'm told!]), 0-62 in about 12.8 sec.

But because the electric assistance was always immediately available, but when cruising the petrol engine was off or revving very slowly (1,000-1,500 rpm), many including myself described it as like always being in first gear if the put you foot down suddenly, whilst always being in top gear if you didn't.

Drivers in Germany reported that at 95 mph. flooring it still gave a good shove until the computer said "no more" at 99 (read 106/112 and 112/120 true/indicated for Gen 2 and 3 Prius respectively).

I also don't want something that's going to be a struggle when I need to get past an HGV safely (quickly), on an A-road.

Why do people think this is what happens in a hybrid?

So I guess I'm looking for real world experience from any owners in terms of mid range acceleration with this car?

It's not a problem.

Can you take one for a test drive?

I think the assumptions about power occur because the majority of motoring press seem to enjoy describing the "CVT" powertrain as something which makes a great deal of noise without the corresponding thrust of acceleration.

I could obviously test drive one, and this is something I would look to do, but in my opinion most test drives do not compare to having lived with a vehicle for an extended period and experienced enough of these scenarios to make an informed opinion.

Thanks

• Like 1

I have come from a Superchipped 2.0 TDI Golf Estate, to a 2013 Prius, Matt, and even climbing the Pyrenees with a fully laden Hybrid, I have had no trouble holding my own with some enthusiastically driven German 'drivers cars'

Mid range grunt is no problem

Hi Matt,

If you look at the topics here you'll see I've just bought an Auris TS hybrid. I have a 2 + 2 family with kids 10 and 8. My commute is 15 miles with mainly dual carriageway and country lanes. I've now done 600 miles and have just filled it up for the first time.

As I've previously posted, I'm coming from an Octavia vRS petrol with 200 PS hatch with _loads_ of boot space and plenty of power. Outside of running costs, it's a pretty formidable family + commuting car.

If you're on a dual carriageway and you want to overtake something, perhaps up a hill, you will have the engine noticably louder as it's so quiet most of the time, then it's running at 4500rpm. If you were to floor an automatic non-hybrid and it kicked down, it's similar to that. It's just more noticable in this.

The mostly stop start traffic bit, it's a dream. My commute doesn't involve a lot of that, but ferrying the kids to and from swimming and activities and parties and friends etc is wonderful. You just cruise around with the greatest of ease.

The boot is fantastic. Dual floor so you can stow away little bits below, or just leave it flat for easier loading and unloading. Tonneau cover works very well. You don't want for storage but maybe a couple more small closed cubby holes in the front would have helped.

As for performance, it's surprisingly quick when you give it some beans. It's a very linear acceleration so no turbo like spikes whatsoever, just smooth quick progress.

I went for the Icon+ and I reckon it's the best spec. Got it for about £5k below list price on 0% interest. No brainer.

I don't hang around and like to drive quickly. I'm not going to prejudice myself online but let's just say the Prius will happily sit at motorway speeds keeping up with and exceeding traffic.

Obviously a hybrid isn't magic and if you hammer the car or use your accelerator and/or brake as on/off switches your economy will be poor, probably about 45-50 mpg. Keep it steady at a displayed 80 mph and you'll get 55-60 mpg.

Either way, you get a petrol (cheaper fuel) automatic car with £zero road tax and they hold their value. Test drive one and probably add about 15% to your initial fuel consumption figures.

Appreciate the comments and input folks, this is just what I was looking for and I'm sure the thread will prove useful to anyone else wavering over the same points. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Matt

Just swapped from a Mark 1 HSD to a Mark 2 - there are some very good deals around, and they'll probably get better given the recently-announced 2015 update

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links