Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye Dear Friend

Dark Matter

After 3 fantastic fun filled years motoring, I am about to change my iQ as the lease ends. My search for a replacement was extensive and quite illuminating. I must have driven 5 or 6 “city car” contenders, None had the front seat space, standard equipment levels , turning circle or distinctive styling of the iQ.

My final (if somewhat predictable)choice turned out to be an Aygo. Splash silver x-pression, with smart entry keyless, climate & navigation (which had to be added). I tried the x-wave open top version but thought the roof was a flimsy, poorly made, noisy and expensive option.

I got really great deal in the price of the Aygo and a pretty good lease deal – I'm paying considerably less per month than for the iQ – so a bit so a no brainer.

The multimedia technology in the Aygo puts the iQ in the stone age and the ride seems better over uneven roads, so I am happy with my choice at the moment. But I can foresee a time I find a tiny space I can’t get the Aygo into and get misty eyed over the iQ!!!

Sorry to see your iQ go, hope you enjoy the Aygo though. Was buying the iQ at the end of the lease not an option to you?

Yes it was an option and something I seriously considered. Over 2 years (balance of warranty) the loan to pay the balloon payment would have cost me more per month to buy a 3 year old car than a new car.

I think I've done my fair share of keeping cars until they drop !!!

I am weak - The attraction of something bright and shiny was too much I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Enjoy the Aygo I had a new Aygo for the day while the garage was doing a scratch on my iQ must say the Aygo seemed quicker, the salesman said it was because the Aygo is lighter!

yeah -- the doors don't shut with the sort of satisfying noise the iQ's do, particularly the rear ones on the Aygo. But it does feel quite solid on the road and the lack of weight I presume should pay benefits in the mpg department.

Closest I came to a different marque was a Hyundai i10. A nice drive but even in SE trim not particularly well specced and unable to add keyless etc.

My wife has a Skoda Citigo which she loves, it has heated seats and cruise control. She has the 75hp version so it has more go than my iQ!!

I drove Citigo/Up/Mii.

Very nice drive but dealers wouldn't entertain anything but a measly 3-4% discount.

I can live without heated seats due to wearing adequate weight trousers on frosty winter mornings :-)

No use for cruise on a car that rarely goes on the motorway.

Horses for courses.

Very reluctant to lose keyless and really really didn't like the sat nav stuck on pole on the dashboard.

I don't envy you having to look for a replacement. If I had to get another car now I do not know what I would even start looking at, apart from any new old stock iQ's first or good low mileage 2nd hand. Other than that I would be snookered!

If I needed another one I'd be looking for an Aston Cygnet at a reasonable price. :)

Craig.

• Like 2

I don't envy you having to look for a replacement. If I had to get another car now I do not know what I would even start looking at, apart from any new old stock iQ's first or good low mileage 2nd hand. Other than that I would be snookered!

Indeed. I was in this frame of mind as the decision time approached.

There really is nothing like the iQ. Which is a bit of a double edged sword. Its unique design seems not to have caught the public imagination sales were relatively poor.

I've never driven any other car where people come up to you in car parks interested in what it is. A clear marketing fail on behalf of Toyota.

I admit to a mild sense of panic as decision time approached and for a day or so seriously considered a Cygnet !

But.. The design is getting on for 8 years old without a refresh and things have moved on, particularly in the area of integrated media/telephone/nav.

I weep at the thought of an iQ 4 with an updated engine, standard leather seats , moonroof and an x-play style integrated media.

Trouble is of course it would be hugely expensive in present company with the likes of the Citigo, i10 etc.

So I hope I haven't just chosen the least worst option.

I think it's a cool car and if it's even half as much fun to own and drive as the iQ it will still be worth it.

I don't think you will regret buying the Aygo, I have had my Aygo x-clusiv now for a couple of months and have never had cause to regret buying it.

Just a shame the Aygo isn't the quallity of the iQ but it is more advanced in some ways. Not an easy choice?

Just a shame the Aygo isn't the quallity of the iQ but it is more advanced in some ways. Not an easy choice?

You’ve hit the nail firmly on the head there and really the root cause of my apprehension about changing my iQ.

The finish on the material used inside the Aygo on the dash and door cards are nowhere near as nice as the iQ –except maybe for the seats which I found supportive and an nice combination of material and leather (or is that pleather?). The full leather seats look like a Power Rangers costume – so were not an option for me.

But the Aygo is of its type and most cars in the sector seemto have a similar ambiance inside – the i10 being a bit better.

I’m still glad I made the move and reading other forum postings by owners who have moved from iQ to Aygo the feeling is very positive.

Most miss the small turning circle but comment on how much better the ride, economy and (without labouring the point) the technology is.

Anyway - I’ll find out in a couple of weeks if I've made a wise decision.

We've sadly just changed from the iQ as well just this month. Loved the iQ right from the first time I saw inside it, but we were left with a feeling that nothing else touched it on the road regards uniqueness at the price. I'd really love a Cygnet, since its both an iQ & a bit of fun with a big classic car maker's name behind it and even more of an investment than many other cars on the road. On a practical sense though we decided it was better to go for a proper 4 seater though and the Aygo was just not as good a car as we'd like. Ended up going for a Yaris Hybrid, because it was mechanically interesting and a very good package all round on top of that.

Miss the iQ's uniqueness though. Time will tell if it was a good idea or not.. :dontgetit:

That's quite a jump from iQ to Yaris hybrid. The Aygo (like the iQ) will be a second/commuter car and so, although the hybrid is very interesting and I would love one, I couldn't justify it really.

It seems I'm not alone in my dilemma - Maybe we should start an ex iQ owners thread.... what we bought next!

• Like 1

Yes i suppose it was a bit of a jump Dark Matter, but we use the iQ & now the Yaris as the daily commute car, the Mrs and me car share to work each day. We do about 17,000 miles a year on the daily run, 35 miles each way, so wanted something as economic and comfortable as the iQ or even better.

We have a previous model Rav4 for big jobs and long runs but it's not cheap to run like the iQ. We're planning to hold onto it long term cos its a very good old faithful pack horse of a car so we're trying to limit the millage we're doing in it to keep it as good as possible for the long haul. We felt a proper 4 seater was on the cards to help that.

In the end the Aygo just didn't match the comfort of the iQ or Yaris, so the best option was going to be a Yaris if we couldn't get a new iQ, but the normal yaris's were a wee bit boring. I was intrigued by the Hybrid and once we spec'd up a normal Yaris with all the toys we wanted it was going to cost almost the same as the Hybrid so we took a chance and plumbed for the Hybrid. I'm kind of hedging my bet it might hold its value better in the future if the hybrid becomes more popular too, though thats probably not going to make much of a difference.

End of the day, the Hybrid yaris is proving a great car for the daily drive. i'm actually looking forward to jumping in it at both ends of the day to drive away in it, its such a well packaged product all round.

Still I miss the iQ, I might look out for a 2nd hand one in the future as a toy :-)

I thought the Aygo was pretty good comfort wise and quite accommodating for my 6’3” frame. I could list several cars I tried that I didn’t actually fit into . As I have already said this is very much a second car mainly for a short 5 mile commute, weekend local jaunts and trips to Waitrose. We too have a long distance car where ultimate comfort and mile eating capability is more important.

I guess it's my toy.

I'm amused how many are tempted by the Cygnet. They seem very difficult find at the moment - none on Autotrader last time I looked and some of the colour combinations a bit eye searing.

But in British Racing Green with a brown hand stitched leather interior (I only ever found 1) it was quite something.