Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Yaris Cdx Parking Sensors Not Working!

Kmac888

Hi everyone,

we have become the proud owners of our first Yaris it's a 2002 1.3 CDX automatic with an incredible 43,000 miles and one previous owner!!!

It's fitted with parking sensors (they look life factory fitted) but they don't seem to be working. No beeping when put into reverse or any signs of life. We can't find any help in the owners manual....is there something I can do?

Thanks for reading this any help would be very welcome

Hello K - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Thread moved to the Yaris club.

Rear parking sensors sometimes have a hidden switch to disable them if required (for example when towing a trailer). Have a look inside the boot, and behind the boot lining by the reversing light.

Thanks for that reply, I've had the boot lining out and looked behind the panels where the bulbs are but couldn't really find anything obvious that was unplugged or loose. I'll have another good root around tomorrow. I haven't checked the fuses yet but the reverse light works.

Thanks again

Can it be assumed that you are not expecting them to work as a reverse warning ie it bleeps when you put into revers as most lorries do, or are you rightly expecting parking sensors only to bleep as you reverse close to something?

Does the reverse light work?

The reverse light on the rear does work but no beeping when in reverse or backing up to an object....!

The reverse light on the rear does work but no beeping when in reverse or backing up to an object....!

That rules out the issue being a failed reversing switch then.

Perhaps the speaker has failed- or the sensors are dirty.....I don't know where to start but will try again tomorrow thanks to evertone

Still no joy......does anyone know if there is an on/OFF switch for the sensors? Also I can't find which fuse is for the sensor no mention of it in the owners manual

Thanks

Still no joy......does anyone know if there is an on/OFF switch for the sensors? Also I can't find which fuse is for the sensor no mention of it in the owners manual

Thanks

That is what I mentioned in post 2.

Rear parking sensors are often a dealer-fit accessory - so have their own instruction booklet.

IF there is an on/off switch, it is most likely combined with the controller which generates the "beeping"... So the best thing to do, is trace the wires from the actual sensors into the boot to try to find that. Aftermarket kits usually fit them under/behind the vertical panel in the boot which supports the section holding the boot lock... Size? approx 2-3cms square...

So far I have looked in the boot and behind the panel for the light bulbs. I have not yet taken the plastic wrap around panels off. There is no access that (I can find) to the sensors themselves. I have looked underneath the car/rear bumper and from inside the boot. I am assuming that this is only possible if the bumper is removed. Next step (I think) is to remove the plastic wrap around panels and try to find the control unit / speaker / on-off switch..............