Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Auris Road Noise

PFJ

I test drove a new auris today and was surprised at the level of road noise in what I consider an expensive quality car. Anyone else agree with this?

Has anyone driven the older and new auris back to back? Which is no user in terms of road noise?

PFJ

The degree of road noise may depend on which version you test drove - if it was fitted with low profile tyres, these tend to generate more road noise.

Little point comparing the first generation to the second generation - one needs to compare it with it's competition, and judging road noise will be largely subjective.

Expensive - no. Competitively priced - very.

The Auris range starts at £15K - £1K cheaper than the Nissan Pulsar, £2K cheaper than the Mazda 3, £3K cheaper than the Golf ........

I've tested both new and the previous Auris, I thought road noise was "ok" (I expected better from Toyota) but found the Hyundai i30 cabin was quieter at speed. The Kia C'eed was even better and the VW Golf was the best.

I've owned both the Mark 1 and the Mk 2 Auris and the new one is noisier in certain respects. The new one is about 40 kg lighter for a start and it shows eg when you drive through a puddle, heavy rain or slush you hear the stuff battering off the floor a lot more. There's various wind buffet noises and the car generally feels a lot flimsier eg when closing the doors. Tyre noise is better on the new one but that's not a straight comparison because the old one had wider low profile tyres on it. The CVT gearbox on the new one doesn't help, it's like driving a car with a slipping clutch and engine revs can go quite high.

Ask anybody who installs car stereos and always cutting out different areas for Speakers, amplifiers etc and they'll tell you Japanese cars generally are much lighter gauge metal than the German cars so I wouldn't be surprised if the VW Golf was the best drive of them all.

End of the day it's going to be subjective and you'll never tell on a test drive how you'll feel about the car until you've owned it for a while.

I too find my auris(2011 hybrid t-spirit) a little noisy at speed. mainly from the tyres...the new tyres will be eco and as low a db rating as I can find, and may look into some extra sound proofing if I`m still not happy...tho i do think its deceptive in the hybrid as the drive system is so quiet.