Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'01 Gts - Rpms When Idling Cold

girlgeek

don't know personally but the rpms will change if the auto-choke is engaged or if the aircon is running.

Why do you ask?

800 to 1000 RPM.

no... 2zzge will go up to as much as 2,000 RPM when cold... it is perfectly normal since it need to get heated up as soon as possible

800 to 1000 RPM.

no... 2zzge will go up to as much as 2,000 RPM when cold... it is perfectly normal since it need to get heated up as soon as possible

I work for Toyota so I asked about 2 mechanics and they said 800-1000 RPM. Granted I did not mention COLD.

I ask because I noticed that my GTS was idling around 1750 when it was cold, and I just don't remember it being that high or loud.

I took it in to have it looked at and they cleaned the Intake Air Control Valve, which did nothing to change this. Then they replaced the valvle and it's still the same. (The same place left off a hose when they replaced the valve and nearly gave me a heart attack when my temp guage and check engine light went off the charts after less then 5 miles of driving...so I am having a hard time believing anything they say at this point.)

The idle does settle around 800 once it warms up, and it never fluctuates or stalls (of its own volition anyway). The gas mileage is also the same, so I think I'm just going to let it ride.

I recently moved into a quiter neighborhood, near the ocean, so may I'm just hearing it for the first time, or it's just colder when I start it up in the morning...it's not in an enclosed garage anymore, it's in a car port.

Thanks for all the feeback. I think I'm just being over sensitive about this.

I work for Toyota so I asked about 2 mechanics and they said 800-1000 RPM. Granted I did not mention COLD.

Me too ;-)

of course, your mechs might not know much about 2zz-ge engine since it is not really sold in too many cars (Celica GTS & Matrix XRS, Corolla & Celica TS in Europe), but when it is cold it really does go up to 1,800-2,000... which of course means that it will get to working temperature much faster... as much as I know, even other VVT-i engines idle a bit higher when cold, but not as much as 2zz-ge...

2zze-ge revs up to 8,200 RPMS so it is very sensitive to temperature, oil needs to lubricate the engine properly before driving it to those rpms... ECU will apply an early fuel cutoff at around 7k RPM if engine is not heated properly...

It might get annoying when you drive around town (for 3-4 minutes), since idle is 1,800 RPM, so you have to use clutch more than usual for low speeds (and when you press clutch idle goes down)... BUT after 3-4 minutes, your car is up to operating temperature and you can drive the heck out of it... i know I do

;-)

• 4 weeks later...

how cold are you talking about when you start it up? i live in illinois by chicago and during the winter it got around 10-20 degrees and my car (2000 gts-6speed) idled near 1700. i thought something was wrong too but after it warmed up it went to 800-900 (normal when warm idling)

if you think it is too high you might be able to adjust the throttle cable and make it looser

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links