Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello! + Idle Noise / Clutch Released

JamKromium

Hello all! Lots of useful info/people on here so I've been a long time reader however this is my first post.

Purchased a 2008 XT5 2.2 Diesel from Arnold Shark around three weeks ago. Enjoying it so far (apart from needing water drained from the fuel filter after two weeks!).

I currently have 1 month left of the warranty and was curious to know if a noticable "scraping" type noise with a wee bit more vibration is normal at idle without the clutch depressed? I've also noticed a knocking sound when I turn the engine off.

Maybe it's a bit of paranoia or the fact that I'm just not used to a diesel car sounding like a minibus after having only petrol cars in the past!

I've attached a recording, the level is quite low. Mostly audible at around 8s, clutch pressed at 13s and released at 15s. Ignore sunroof closing at 26s. You can hear the knocking sound on killing the ignition at 30s.

Thanks

J

Voice_0041_.mp3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have exact same problem with my t180 which I've had three weeks. Been told after a gearbox rebuild its normal but not convinced. I personally suspect early stage of dual mass flywheel failure but nobody in the trade will accept this as the garage I bought from won't pay to replace it. Please keep us updated if you are looking into the problem further as I will also should I find a solution.

I am replacing rear engine mount today as the box knocks into first and crunches second could be related. I suspect mine requires a new gearbox also although its been reconditioned but I'd say on the cheap and not to my preferred standard. I'm beginning to regret not returning the car since I've just had to stump up for a new exhaust also.

You may find the gearbox was filled with 80/90w etc after the re-build, you need to use a straight 75w, I have tried all sorts but it really needs to be 75w, the first and second will be hard/clunky, but will probably be OK when it gets warm,,, I use

Castrol Syntrans FE 75W Fully Synthetic 75 W GL-4 Gear Oil GL4

I have serviced many Rav's/Avensis I never get complains about gear selection, when I do it's because someone else as used a multi grade

Thanks it was refilled incorrectly with a gl4 additive added. I have already paid for 3litres of fucs 75w as stated on other thread and had the oil put in, no change. Exactly the same noise as the file above and second gear is a nightmare under 1500 rpm. Fine when driven harder wife drives very slowly and replicating her driving I crunch 90% of the time. The dash mpg gauge encourages early changes but the box seems to much prefer holding on till higher rpm.

I don't honestly think the oil has made the slightest difference to the stuff the gearbox place put in with additional addative.

I assume at this point box need renewing or cables and linkages need replacement if not flywheel, as the engine rattles and Shudder's on shut down 3 out of 4 times.

My car has done 115k so I assume to make it drive right is going to be more than a box rebuild, that's before I get round to sorting the badly corroded rear undercarriage. It appears the previous owner may have done a fair bit of puddle playing off road.

Today the car began rumbling and vibrating with no power, garage salesman reckons unrelated and prob a fueling problem, clatter of flywheel at shutoff had become very obvious for the last week before this problem. I regret buying the car massively and am yet again at the mercy of a bent dealer. I assume if he is correct this would fall under the engine replacement scheme had the car not done just over the allowed mileage so I assume I will get the car back with a decoked egr leaving me owning a ticking time bomb and a dodgy flywheel to boot. If your car makes the noise at start of post, get shut. Never driven a more floored car in 20 years and it all began with that rumbling in neutral