Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 2 V Gen 3

Funkyboy

Just test drove a Gen 2 t spirit at my local Toyota dealer. It's an 08 with 35k and 7 dealer stamps. I really think the Gen 2 drives better than the gen 3 and feels more substantially built. I'm thinking of it as a commuter car for my 76 mile total daily commute in stop start traffic. It's up for 8k with 12mths warranty.

Any advice on this model and the price?

Thanks

The gen2 is more solidly built than the earlier gen3's.

The problem with a gen2 now? They're 6 years old or more. The gen3 gets a bit more to the gallon and has more power. It's generally personal taste though.

If you're buying the gen2, just make sure the 12v has been replaced as they only last about 5/6 years and can cause all sorts of issues when they fail. If the car has been sat on a dealers lot for a few weeks it could have damaged the 12v beyond repair. They're about £95 all in fitted by Toyota.

I would say that £8k is a lot of money for a gen2, even the posh t-spirit model. Is it a Toyota dealer you're getting it from?

The gen2 is more solidly built than the earlier gen3's.

The problem with a gen2 now? They're 6 years old or more. The gen3 gets a bit more to the gallon and has more power. It's generally personal taste though.

If you're buying the gen2, just make sure the 12v has been replaced as they only last about 5/6 years and can cause all sorts of issues when they fail. If the car has been sat on a dealers lot for a few weeks it could have damaged the 12v beyond repair. They're about £95 all in fitted by Toyota.

I would say that £8k is a lot of money for a gen2, even the posh t-spirit model. Is it a Toyota dealer you're getting it from?

Yes it's a main Toyota dealership I was thinking the same about the price. A quick look on autotrader shows them around 6-7k but at independent dealers not Toyota.

It is better than the Gen 3 :-) except on the motorway at speed and mpg but it depends how it is driven.

Had/has an excellent Hybrid warranty that covered ALL hybrid components - Toyota EU/GB no longer offer the same comprehensive warranty on models after the gen 2 (early gen 3 owners still bought the car with only a 3 year warranty and then complained bitterly afterwards - sigh)

16 inch alloy wheels compared with 17 inch.

50 mpg

brake discs and calipers are weak point on all the hybrids.

Wheel bearings prone to early failure.

Engine water coolant pump prone to early failure (not to be confused with Hybrid coolant pump that has been the subject of at least two recalls)

T-Spirit Sat-nav DVDs go missing on 2nd-hand cars??

Spare wheel (skinny).

Faults with the Gen 3 are worse especially early termination of the Hybrid Battery (esp taxis) and the inverters - Toyota had to modify the software on the inverter to stop them frying!

Height control sensor on the rear axle of the Gen II can cause problems too. Apparantly it's there to balance the braking system when the car is loaded at the rear (according to the spanner wielder at the local Toyota garage). It seized solid on my Gen II and cost a pretty penny to be replaced.

No such sensor is present on the Gen III.

SWMBO has a Gen 2, I had a Gen 3.

Gen 2 feels more solid, is more comfy and contrary to what Toyota say, is definitely quieter that the Gen 3 road noise wise.

Gen 3 is more economical, steers and handles better than the Gen 2.

• Like 1

Gen 3 has more aggressive, more modern external styling than the Gen 2 too in my opinion.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links