Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Brake Inoperable

stumpyj

Hi everyone

I've got a 2010 Avensis Estate 2.0 Deisel with 105K on the clock.

This error message comes up about once a week. The handbrake light flashes and the handbrake doesnt work until I switch the engine off and the handbrake comes on. I switch the engine back on and it works ok for a week or so.

Surrey Electronics have written an interesting article onthis http://www.surreyelectronics.com/leaflets/TOYOTA%20AVENSIS%20ELECTRONIC%20PARKING%20BRAKE%20SYSTEM.pdf

I have fitted new rear disks and pads, which can sort the problem, but this has made no improvement, so I have decided to source a replacement actuator part number 4630-05010. Unfortunately this is £1000 + vat from Toyota!!!! This part has now been replaced by part number 4630-05011, which is even more expensive, and which in my opinion proves there is a fault with the part.

Anyway I am considering getting a replacement from a breakers yard but wondered if this was a common problem with the part? Does anyone else have or had similiar problems?

Thanks

Stumpy

• Like 1

there is certainly a handful of reported actuator failures on Avensis T27s but it doesn't seem to be a massive no. or more common than on other similarly equipped cars.

Out of interest when was your car registered & when did it first start displaying the fault? Do you have an extended warranty?

If your car was registered in June 2010 or later it would have been under warranty for 5 years or 100k miles, whichever came sooner, as long as serviced to Toyota standards & schedule.

The car was registered March 2010 so I have missed out on the warranty. I have already checked with Toyota.

The fault started in November 2014, but only once or twice, and I put that down to the weather for some reason. A Toyota mechanic recommended that I change the rear disks and pads as this sometimes caused the brake to malfunction. They needed doing anyway so I got them dne. This seemed to stop the problem. But after a couple of weeks it came back.

I can source a used part for about £350, but Im concerned that that one will do the same.

I've contacted Toyota and they wont help , as the car has done 105K.

Did you put copper grease in the sliders?

Also, do they have to be calibrated like on some vw cars.

Hi mcorban, regarding copper grease...not that I'm aware of

I do believe that you missed a digit from the part number

I have read the report from http://www.surreyelectronics.com/leaflets/TOYOTA%20AVENSIS%20ELECTRONIC%20PARKING%20BRAKE%20SYSTEM.pdf

The question I have to ask - Is this the main cause of the EPB failure or are there other issues? Has the modification fixed that issue?

If the answer is yes for the only cause and yes the modification/fix has worked, then there will no problems buying an Avensis in the future. My brother drives a Renault Grand Scenic a known electrical nightmare, and so far he has not a problem with the EPB. I know other people with similar vehicles with no issues at all.

I would say, don't wade a ford or try not to get caught in a deep puddle.

As reported before on a small minority of have had issues.

Companies like Surrey Electronics are springing up and dealing with these issues, that the main manufacturers are not. Especially outside warranty and keeping the cost of repair down. Seen a few on Wheeler Dealers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stumpy,

I have fourteen T27 2.0Ltr D4D TR Estates all used as Taxis and in the past four - five years only one of these units has required replacement but fortunately it was covered by warranty, but due to the cost I did do some research and as you say they can be purchased from Breakers the only down side is you will have to have the unit re set to work on your car by a Toyota Dealer.

If I was looking to buy second-hand I would try for the later part number if possible but would buy the earlier unit if I could not find a late unit rather than wait.

As for will it go again in my experience I very much doubt it, hope this helps.

Melvyn.

Tinys Taxis Ltd Hitchin.

• Like 1

Thanks Melvyn.

I've got to make a decision shortly on the car.

The steering rack needs replaced. Toyota have agreed to reduce the cost from £1200 down to £330, however i still cant see why i need to pay this as this should have lasted the life of the car. Now the actuator needs replaced, albeit its only intermittent. But it happens probably twice a month, or more in the wet.

The car has 107k on the clock and I do about 400 miles a week so its climbing.

Funny thing tho, this was my company car, which I have had since new, and it has wanted for absolutely nothing, with full Toyota service history. I have to decide whether to keep and to sell on. I wouldnt feel good about selling to a punter without mentioning the brake. Wheresas I fix the brake and because of the expsense keep it until it dies

Hi Simon,

I was Going to suggest you bought a second-hand Rack as they are not electronically coded to the car, BUT I reckon that £300 is a good deal and I would take it, then get a second-hand Handbrake Actuator and with luck your car should settle back to the reliable Vehicle it was before.

Like the Handbrake Actuator we have only ever had ONE Rack require replacing and that was on a 2009 which had done 173k and when our Technician took the old one apart it was full of rust so like the Actuator it appears water ingress caused that Rack to fail too, Do you live in a partially wet area!! :boat:

I used to run a fleet of 2006 onwards 3c VW Passat's and we all know what a good reputation they are supposed to have, relying on past reputation I think as they were a nightmare with faults too many and irrelevant to go into here so we changed to Toyota Avensis and have certainly not regretted it to date they do have odd issues as you know by reading this Forum, but at least Toyota don't lie to you and say they are not known problems as when reading VW Forums I knew full well they were.

Good Luck with your Avensis.

Mel