Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T22 - Couple Of Niggles

Radiodanno

So, my T22 SR is still rocking along - now 15 years old and with 152k on the clock, it shows no signs of giving up at all.

However, I do a minor problem or two that I'd like to get fixed.

The car does feel ever so slightly sluggish, and has done for about a year now. It will rev right around to the limiter, but it does feel a bit wheezy. Also, occasionally the idle is a bit lumpy at the traffic lights and you can feel the car just rock a little.

Garage has said it could be any number of things. 1) Throttle Position Sensor - 2) Coils - 3) Lambda.

Anyone had similar issues? I don't really want to replace the entire ignition circuit to fix this! Plugs are brand new and leads are 2 years old.

Hi Daniel, I did a bit of digging and the EGR comes to mind. The only petrol Avensis with an EGR.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1999/avensis/st220r-aemekw/3_273540_047_/tool-engine-fuel/2501_exhaust-gas-recirculation-system

I would check all vacuum pipes and connections too.

It is possible for the O2 sensor to affect the performance of the car, fuel consumption and emissions. Any random EMLs?

Konrad

If it runs slightly lumpy then its likely to be the ignition coils beginning to play up, cheap about £30 each. Only 1 will be causing the fault but theres no point changing them unless they casue engine misfire which it evntually will. When it does it will throw up a engine code and make it easy to diagnose which ignition coil is the bad one. Lambda sensor has nothing to do with this at all, you can drive a car without a lambda sensor and it will not have any effect on the car, it will only let out more gasses which can be toxic, you will be able to smell it.

Hey. Thanks for your help so far. There's NO EML on, which is part relief part annoying. There's clearly something not QUITE right, but it's obviously still within tolerances of the ECU.

I had no idea that the car has an EGR. I'll get it cleaned when it's serviced in the summer.

As for coils, I thought as much. However, leaving it until misfire isn't my idea of a plan. TWICE now I've managed to kill a catalytic converter when I've run a car even the shortest of distance on 3 cylinders. Better change them now.

Thanks

If it runs slightly lumpy then its likely to be the ignition coils beginning to play up, cheap about £30 each. Only 1 will be causing the fault but theres no point changing them unless they casue engine misfire which it evntually will. When it does it will throw up a engine code and make it easy to diagnose which ignition coil is the bad one. Lambda sensor has nothing to do with this at all, you can drive a car without a lambda sensor and it will not have any effect on the car, it will only let out more gasses which can be toxic, you will be able to smell it.

Hey. Thanks for your help so far. There's NO EML on, which is part relief part annoying. There's clearly something not QUITE right, but it's obviously still within tolerances of the ECU.

I had no idea that the car has an EGR. I'll get it cleaned when it's serviced in the summer.

As for coils, I thought as much. However, leaving it until misfire isn't my idea of a plan. TWICE now I've managed to kill a catalytic converter when I've run a car even the shortest of distance on 3 cylinders. Better change them now.

Thanks

If Toyota is correct, then you only have 2 coils to buy. Remember the pre-VVTI engines use one coil for cylinders 1 & 4 and another for 2 & 3. That means that you only need to buy one coil to fix the misfire. I hope the price is correct as mine are about £40 - £44 each ( Eurocarparts).

When you replaced the HT leads, did you get original or third party? The reason I asked is that I am using the originals after a few years using 2 other sets. These other sets worked fine at first, but got worse over time. The problem I had, is the cable core is not plugged securely and firmly to the top of the spark plug. I pushed the inner cable on first, then the outer sheath, but the vibrations seem to loosen the connection after a while. Then I got the lumpy/misfire running. The originals were okay and I only changed them because I thought they were old. Well they have been back on the car, and very smooth. That is why they are in use right now.

The HT leads cost more and to me are the weakest link. Remember that they fire twice as much as on any other car. As I said earlier inferior leads will soon be found out.

• Like 1

It's amazing how often ou find you car isn't running quite like it's normal self not rough just a little off and you do the usual, sparks, clean the idle valve, egr, maf, air filter etc, etc, etc yet it doesn't seem to help that much yet a new set of leads does the trick.

Sometimes if you look under the bonnet in the dark with the engine running and revving it at the throttle body you can see faint flashes n sparks if the leads are tracking but even if you. don't see it they could still be past their best..

You can measure the resistance across then lead with them removed with a multi meter, Haynes usually tells you what the resistance should be but personally I'd normally put new leads. on with new plugs anyway cos of how often old ones have caused misfires and problems over the years :)

• Like 1

maf symptoms usually start off with engine a bit lumpy low down the rev range

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links