Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise From Rear Of Brand New Aygo

Xpression

That's not very good service, can you ask to speak to the service manager, might help??

Yes, l will do. I have a video clip of the noise from my Dashcam, too, which I'll show him. I tried to put a link to it (YouTube) in this post, but it won't let me.

• 5 weeks later...

Just read through all the posts. My Daughter has a 64 plate Aygo X=Play, and she had a knocking noise from the rear, as most have described here, and I too thought shockers or tailgate struts. Having had a good check around, I found that there are 2 tailgate stops that have rubber tops, and 1 was missing. By sitting in the back, I managed to put a finger between the tailgate and the body whilst she was driving along, and it eliminated the noise. Looking at the area with the tailgate open, there is a torx headed bolt either side at around the point the tailgate glass starts to curve up by the lights.

Could anyone that still has this knock please have a look at theirs to see if they are still there, or missing?

I would attach a picture but the car is not here at the moment. When it had its 1st service in August 2015, the local dealer was told, and they ordered 2 new ones. I eventually got round to fitting these things last night, ( only took 2 minutes, but they have been sitting in the dealers since September and she had forgotten to pick them up). This morning she opened the tailgate for the first time, and one of the new ones immediately fell off. Looking at the offending part, it does not seem to be that well bonded, if it is bonded at all. Would like to know if anyone else has noticed these things being missing at all.

I will get some pics posted up as soon as I get to see the car again.

Part number on the bag is 52188-70020

tia. Derek :icon14:

post-36061-0-64111800-1452273451_thumb.j

This is not her car, but a generic pic of the tailgate area. I have circled the 2 items, both eventually went missing, and the new ones seem to drop off in the same way.

Any comments back appreciated, thanks.

I have just been to look at my wife's car and whilst I can see the two bump stops, I am at a loss as to how they could fall off. In the case of my wife's Aygo the stops have a Torx bolt head in the middle of them and it is this which holds them in place (i.e. they are bolted on, not stuck on). It seems impossible for the stops to fall off, so I wonder if the part has changed? Our car was new in April 2015.

I have just been to look at my wife's car and whilst I can see the two bump stops, I am at a loss as to how they could fall off. In the case of my wife's Aygo the stops have a Torx bolt head in the middle of them and it is this which holds them in place (i.e. they are bolted on, not stuck on). It seems impossible for the stops to fall off, so I wonder if the part has changed? Our car was new in April 2015.

Thanks for looking. I will get another set of pics up of the offending parts. I was kind of hoping that the new ones that were ordered had indeed been upgraded, but seems not. The break is too clean for the rubber bumpstop to have been bonded to the metal bolt. It looks like they just tuck down the back edge of the bolt, and not by much either.

Derek.

Out if interest, does your car have a knocking?

(I did also mention the torx bolts in my first post, but possibly didn't mention that these are what the bumpstops are supposed to be attached to)

The car used to have a knocking noise, but this was caused by the space saver spare wheel rocking from side to side. The wheel was originally supported on one rubber block and inevitably rocked (and bumped). The block was eventually cut into four sections and distributed around the wheel, curing the problem. What is very strange is Toyota supplying the car in this state; the noise is inevitable with the wheel as fitted.

The two bump stops fitted to my wife's car are held by the Torx bolts going through the centre of the stop (like a bolt holding a washer in place), so there is no way short of the bolt coming out, that the stop could come loose.

The car used to have a knocking noise, but this was caused by the space saver spare wheel rocking from side to side. The wheel was originally supported on one rubber block and inevitably rocked (and bumped). The block was eventually cut into four sections and distributed around the wheel, curing the problem. What is very strange is Toyota supplying the car in this state; the noise is inevitable with the wheel as fitted.

The two bump stops fitted to my wife's car are held by the Torx bolts going through the centre of the stop (like a bolt holding a washer in place), so there is no way short of the bolt coming out, that the stop could come loose.

Hi, thanks for that. i will get some pics up showing just how much of the rubber bump stop is actually behind the bolt. i think you might be surprised just how little there is. Derek

Best pictures I could come up with at the moment, couldn't seem to get the lighting correct, or the focus come to that.

The bolt when supplied looks like this

post-36061-0-53717000-1452441147_thumb.j

With the rubber part missing, you are left with a bolt shaped like this,

post-36061-0-72007700-1452441233_thumb.j

The "lip" that the rubber bumpstop actually sits on is only 1.5 mm wide, so not a lot. I would have expected the rubber part to have been bonded to the metal of the bolt. The deeper step of the bolt fits into the bumper, and the step is supposed to hold the rubber bumpstop in place. Think I might have to find a suitable glue to fix the new ones on with. Can't keep paying out £4.50 each time they fall off.

They look like the ones on my wife's Aygo, but hers show no signs of movement and seem secure enough. Her car was new in April 2015 and I wonder if there has been any change in specification? Looking at her car, it is very difficult, short of actual mechanical damage to the stops, to be able to imagine them coming loose.

Thanks for all the input.

I've just checked the rubber bump-stops, and they're secure. I'm going to ask Mrs Xpression to sit in the back seat and push against the hatch door to see if that stops the rattle.

Just to summarise again what I said before: I don't have a spare wheel, and I've also removed everything from the car... it still rattles. Last year, the mechanic actually took out the lower mounting bolt from the nearside shock absorber, and pushed the shock upwards (compressed it out of the way) and then drove the car with another mechanic listening in the back seat. The rattle was gone immediately. Seems to be strong evidence that it is the shocks. They replaced them with new shocks of the same defective design. The new shocks also rattle, but now, I believe since November 2015, there is a new design of shock available, which I have yet to have fitted, due to Xmas hols, etc. Will update here once that's been done.

Cheers,

Xpression

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just to let you know we suffered from a knocking noise from the rear in my wifes 2015 Aygo X-cite. After removing everything from the rear it still did it so when it went for its first service last week I mentioned the TSB in this post and got the rear shocks changed without any problem. Knocking noise has now gone.

Mine only seem to knock with passengers in the back and always has. I personally don't find it a problem and will report it if it gets worse.

• 1 year later...

My daughter recently bought a used 64 plate x-play which has a knock to the o/s rear. Thanks to this forum I may have the solution and the car is booked in for Monday. The numbers on the service bulletin shown earlier prove the shocks are of a batch known to be faulty. Fingers crossed my local service centre progress without fuss. 

• 3 weeks later...

O/S shock replaced under warranty. Now very quiet ride.

Hi.

I have noticed the same noise coming from the rear. It actually came from the spare wheel, in my case.

The first Aygos used to have a full wheel as standard, which is awesome on such a tiny car. On the second generation Aygo, a repair kit comes as standard. You have to pay a very expensive extra (Toyota sells it three times the price of a rim + tire + jack) to get a space-saving wheel. This option is not listed on the accesory list or the website, so I guess people do not buy it, which would explain that garages have little feedback about it.

From the first miles on, I could clearly hear and feel the wheel bouncing in its room. This is not well-thought at all.

I had to add foam to settle it.

Haven't had any knocking issues with my spacesaver.

Bear in mind that the Aygo/C1/108 are designed and manufactured by the Joint Venture with PSA, rather than being the responsibility of just one of the three manufacturers.

Does your profile need updating to include the newer Aygo??

Hello,

Yes, I have just received the new Aygo 1.0. I edited my profile, sorry about this.

You are right, I know Aygo/C1/108 share common parts and come from the same factory.

Again, in my case, according to the sound, there was no doubt that it came from the spacesaver under the trunk. But maybe they forgot some plastic part while installing it...

• 11 months later...

I've just put a holding deposit on an August 2015 five door Aygo with only 3.5k miles on it and full dealer history. Knowing my luck I'm expecting some loud noises from the back end on my test drive :-(

26 minutes ago, phillev said:

I've just put a holding deposit on an August 2015 five door Aygo with only 3.5k miles on it and full dealer history. Knowing my luck I'm expecting some loud noises from the back end on my test drive :-(

Presumably if you do hear any knocking it may either be a faulty shock absorber, in which case it should be replaced before sale, or, if the optional spare wheel kit is fitted, it may that.

I'm taking my Dad with me and I'll get him to sit in the back and take it over some uneven roads (Not hard around here). Trust me I won't accept anything other than perfect as there's nothing wrong with my 107 that I'm trading in. I'd like to know how many cars it's affected as this is the only report on it I've found.

Profile changed.

1 hour ago, phillev said:

I'm taking my Dad with me and I'll get him to sit in the back and take it over some uneven roads (Not hard around here). Trust me I won't accept anything other than perfect as there's nothing wrong with my 107 that I'm trading in. I'd like to know how many cars it's affected as this is the only report on it I've found.

Hi,

You don't need someone to sit in the back. If you have a problem with the space saver moving, it is clearly audible from the front seats. It is an annoying muffled sound that occurs every time the car shakes (potholes, speed bumps...).

My Aygo is from April 2017 and was affected. But again, nothing to worry about, it is extremely easy to fix.

It would be good to hear from owners who have 2014/2015 Aygo's that haven't had this issue. Or is every car affected?