Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise From Rear Of Brand New Aygo

Xpression

Ok so here's what has happened...car has had the back bumper removed clunk is still there..The new shock has been taken off the clunk has gone away so it's definitely the shock obviously you can't drive a car without shocks so now the garage have said they have to pass this information onto an early detection toyota team with their findings and holding onto my car. Watch this space. .......

Is this knocking sound loud and obvious?

Yes very noticeable on uneven roads and has done it from the day I picked it up but thought it was something like the back seat not secure the repair kit bobbing about. Car has been in the garage 10 days now.

Mine has the new shocks fitted. The knocking noise is still there, though a lot quieter. The replacement shocks probably come from the same factory, which is still manufacturing them in the same way, with the same fault, surely? They'll have to sort that production process out before we see this resolved, I would think...

• Like 1

Is it common on all Aygo's or just a select few?

Not sure if it's all Aygo ours are 2015 plates.

Got my car back today they have confirmed dodgy batch of shocks have another new one just got home not a peep from it so far happy bunny.

Update...very disappointed that my car shock is knocking again it goes back to the garage on Wednesday. .have told them I'm rejecting the car and have contacted toyota and lodged a complaint let's see what happens not such a happy bunny now!

Very disappointing for you. As I said, mine still knocks a bit, but I am sort of ignoring it, as I can't stand the thought of them taking the car apart again to replace them, after what they did last time.

Let us know what happens, though. Very keen to hear.

Also been told that the technical guys at the dealership are not allowed to touch it so someone from Belgium (toyota) will be looking at it sounds a bit far fetched to me! Wondering what happens if ever time this happens they have to fly this guy in just to look at my car...I don't think so! Either way even if they say it's fixed I want another one. That's 3 faulty shocks the one that was on it the one they put on then took off as that was faulty and the new one that's on it now. Not good..standing firm not giving up! Will let you know as they tell me they have called other dealerships and they tell me no one else has come across this issue!

Refer the dealership to Toyota Owners Club, and they can then see from this topic there is at least another Aygo owner who has noisy shocks.

Incidentally, a Hyundai i10 courtesy car that we had recently when our i20 was having the clutch replaced under warranty, also had a knocking sound from the rear suspension. Wonder if Hyundai and the Joint Venture making the Aygo/108/C1 use the same supplier fir shock absorbers.

Thanks I have told them but don't think they are interested...what made me unhappy was the fiance guy telling me the only way i would get a new car was to pay the negative equity! I called the toyota finance team and they tell me that's rubbish as I've been sold a faulty car so in affect as it's on finance the finance team have also been sold a faulty car hence my complaint..They are contacting my dealership and are sending me a letter of my complaint ..I knew that it was duff info but wanted to make sure from the guys who I have the finance deal with.

Also been told that the technical guys at the dealership are not allowed to touch it so someone from Belgium (toyota) will be looking at it sounds a bit far fetched to me! Wondering what happens if ever time this happens they have to fly this guy in just to look at my car...I don't think so! Either way even if they say it's fixed I want another one. That's 3 faulty shocks the one that was on it the one they put on took off as that was faulty and the new one that's on it now. Not good..standing firm not giving up! Will let you know as they tell me they have called other dealerships and they tell me no one else has come across this issue!

Not as far fetched as you may think, if your dealer has raised a case with the technical department in the UK , Followed their instructions and still not fixed the issue then the case will be raised further, in the case of a European model to Belgium where Toyota Europe have their head office and main technical department in charge of all European model development. If they feel that is is required then engineers from Belgium and usually the production factory along with a representative from TGB will visit your dealer and investigate the issue further.

I have had personal experience of this after reporting a pulsing effect when using cruise control on a brand new MK1 Auris hybrid and a cracking noise when turning sharply, within the week engineers from Japan ( Auris has Prius innards ), From Burnaston ( production plant ) and the UK technical centre arrived onsite and found that the LHR seat back catches where being fitted poorly aligned ( fitter in the production line responsible for the LH bracket was trained further ) and a software fault caused by the reduced weight of the Auris compared to the Prius causing rythmic pulse as the throttle came on/off as the car held a steady speed ( new software was installed on all new cars and an update made available for car already delivered ).

Very good to know thank you for letting me know..so if they can't fix it they will have to give me another one? If the technical team at the dealership can't touch it now then what happens if they put a 4th one on and days or weeks later it does it again..how long can this go on for..?

Very good to know thank you for letting me know..so if they can't fix it they will have to give me another one? If the technical team at the dealership can't touch it now then what happens if they put a 4th one on and days or weeks later it does it again..how long can this go on for..?

Difficult one to answer as you have already had so many new rear shock absorbers it seem quite likely that the fault lies elsewhere albeit closely linked to the shock absorbers. Getting a new car may not be the immediate answer if the engineers find that something needs to be modified from the standard used on Aygo now, for example say they find a redesign of the shock absorber is needed than this is going to have to designed, built, tested then applied to the production line and then a bulletin issued to dealers describing what is to be done to fix the issue, this will take months not days/weeks. Until the issue is identified timescales will be impossible to estimate but you should not have to drive your car and the dealer should be providing a replacement car whilst all of this occurs.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to type replies the support is awesome.

Ok this is what's happening the guy from toyota Belgium have taken sound recordings of the clunk to taken back with him they have looked on here and read about other people with this issue they have also said there is 5 people who have had this problem only 2 including me have still got the clunk. The lovely manager at the dealership will now raise a customer complaint for me as this could take months to resolve and agreed that's not good enough they have noticed it only seems to be on the 3 door models.

Thanks for letting us know. It seems odd if it really is only the 3 doors... I would have thought they'd all have the same shock absorbers, unless they think the 5 doors will regularly carry more load?

One of the reasons I sold my last car was a clunk from the left rear from new, which the dealer couldn't find, and now I have exactly the same problem!

I know you don't want to take yours back after your horrible experience, but you have paid a lot of money for it, it should be right maybe you should reconsider getting it sorted .I never complain about things but this time I'm not going to put up with it.

I know you don't want to take yours back after your horrible experience, but you have paid a lot of money for it, it should be right maybe you should reconsider getting it sorted .I never complain about things but this time I'm not going to put up with it.

you have all paid for a brand new car and you shouldn't be experienceing issues ,if you bought a cheap 2nd hand car then issues have to be expected.

all of you have been patient and given your dealer a chance to repair the car , if you feel that rejection is the only way forward,then this has to be done

within 6 months of buying the car, go to your dealer with a letter of rejection and hand them back the keys explaining why,if they refuse then take it to

toyota or watchdog or dont get done get dom.

if its on finance then contact your finance company first since the car legally belongs to them and ask them to contact the delaer on your behalf.

I've contacted my finance which is toyota and they are looking into it also my dealer have put a complaint in for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Advice needed please. The lovely man from toyota has called me today about my complaint it's gone as high as it can they tell me toyota have stopped production of the shocks and has costs them a huge amount of money they are now redesigning a super shock could take 6 months or a year to do the shocks are also now a problem on the 5 doors to.ive been given 3 proposals. 1. Swap me into another car (shocks will probably start to clunk at some point) 2. The 5 door that I borrowed shocks were fine they would swap the shocks off that one onto mine when the super shock had been produced mine would be recalled and put on ( obviously at no cost) I would also receive a 'sorry' something ie: weekend away to go with the free MOT and tank of petrol I have on hold or 3. Refund which would be I presume what they gave me for my part ex..(I have finance on the car) help!

So does this mean they're going to do an official recall on all new Aygos then?

No they won't recall at the moment they are stopping production of the shocks but if yours has a shock problem you should take it back .

take the money and ask for a refund of any payments that you have made against the car,buy a yaris or go to another brand as you wont be happy with the aygo until the issues have been sorted out and you dont want to wait for up to 12 months so you can be happy again.