Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise From Rear Of Brand New Aygo

Xpression

Thanks for your reply will mull it over.

Does this mean all cars will eventually be affected?

If it was me I would get the shocks from the five door put on and see if that improves things as a year will soon pass.

It's a possibility. .. I'm so confused will what to do my thought was the same get the shocks off the 5 door but now thinking do I get a refund and walk away so hard to decide!

This issue will probably affect the C1 and 108 as well.

Think you need to seek clarification on a couple of things before deciding - my comments are:

Option 1.

As regards swopping you into another car, seek clarification as to whether this will be a new car or one of equivalent age. If a new car, of course the warranty will date from the first registration - so depending when the swop occurs, you will gain from having a full five year warranty. Will the swop be exactly the same spec - get confirmation of what spec they are offering and if you bought any accessories, will the swop have the same? The finance company will need to know the details of the swop, as they actually own the car until the final payment (HP) or balloon payment (PCP) is paid. If the new car needs replacement shock absorbers, these should be covered under warranty until the new design is in production.

Option 3.

Basically this puts you back to square 1 and whatever car you go for, especially if you want a new car, you may be without a vehicle until the supplying dealer can get the car you want in terms of spec, colour, etc.

I would be inclined to seek further clarification on Option 1. If it is a new car to the same spec as yours that is on offer, this seems to offer you the best recompense, and the least disruption. If you are still happy with the Aygo in spite of the shock absorber issue, I would go for this option.

Thank you this is really helpful will check this out he said it would be like for like but will ask the question to be sure.

I've got a 2014 5 door Aygo x-clusiv and can't say I've noticed any knocking, but I don't know how obvious or subtle it is.

Has anybody made a video of it, so others know what to listen out for?

My 2015 Aygo is OK, no knocking from the rear of mine as yet.

So is it just a rare few that are affected? If so seems strange they wanna do a recall.

They are not doing a recall

Recalls are only for safety related issues and are carried out after the regulatory body in the country concerned (in the UK it is the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency - formerly VOSA) and the manufacturer have investigated whether the issue is an isolated one or more widespread, and whether or not safety is brought into question.

Toyota may cover this issue by way of a Service Bulletin or similar.

Advice needed please. The lovely man from toyota has called me today about my complaint it's gone as high as it can they tell me toyota have stopped production of the shocks and has costs them a huge amount of money they are now redesigning a super shock could take 6 months or a year to do the shocks are also now a problem on the 5 doors to.ive been given 3 proposals. 1. Swap me into another car (shocks will probably start to clunk at some point) 2. The 5 door that I borrowed shocks were fine they would swap the shocks off that one onto mine when the super shock had been produced mine would be recalled and put on ( obviously at no cost) I would also receive a 'sorry' something ie: weekend away to go with the free MOT and tank of petrol I have on hold or 3. Refund which would be I presume what they gave me for my part ex..(I have finance on the car) help!

Can you tell us where you got this information about having toyota stopping production and redesigning a super shocker from?

From my toyota dealership.

I'm confused. What is so special about the shock absorber? Toyota almost certainly don't make the shock absorber ( even if it has Toyota stamped all over it). Can they not re-source an equivalent from another supplier .The concept a manufacturer would only have a sole approved supplier for a part is not only unlikely it is completely against business best practice.

I'm confused. What is so special about the shock absorber? Toyota almost certainly don't make the shock absorber ( even if it has Toyota stamped all over it). Can they not re-source an equivalent from another supplier .The concept a manufacturer would only have a sole approved supplier for a part is not only unlikely it is completely against business best practice.

The shock absorber, whoever it is made by is constructed to an exact design specification from the TPCA design engineers. so not just a case of getting one made by somebody else and just bolting it on.

In this case it has been reported, the parts have been recovered back to Toyota Europe for inspection to get to the route cause of the issue, then if necessary a design change or material change might be required. As you can imagine this all takes time.

OK - so what we are saying is that it may be the DESIGN that is in question - not how it has been put together ? - That would take time establish a root cause and to fix I guess

However, that being said, I'm still not sure what is so special about it that "you can't just get another one made by somebody else and bolt it on" - are you are suggesting it was designed specifically for the Aygo. I don't know much about car design and manufacture - but that seems unlikely. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong !!!

This a shock absorber we are talking about not a rocket engine !

If true, Toyota have built a failure mode into a vehicle by using a unique component with only one approved supplier.

Again - Unlikely.

OK - so what we are saying is that it may be the DESIGN that is in question - not how it has been put together ? - That would take time establish a root cause and to fix I guess

However, that being said, I'm still not sure what is so special about it that "you can't just get another one made by somebody else and bolt it on" - are you are suggesting it was designed specifically for the Aygo. I don't know much about car design and manufacture - but that seems unlikely. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong !!!

This a shock absorber we are talking about not a rocket engine !

If true, Toyota have built a failure mode into a vehicle by using a unique component with only one approved supplier.

Again - Unlikely.

It is unknown what the issue is until it has been investigated I suppose.

Depending on the part number it will tell you if the shock absorber is fitted to other Toyota vehicles, I doubt it being as this is the only TPCA vehicle but I suppose the Citroen and Peugeot vehicles could be effected. This all could possibly be just down to a few vehicles having a batch of faulty shock absorbers, Toyota can collate this information from production.

"if true, Toyota have built a failure mode into a vehicle by using a unique component with only one approved supplier" As i said there will be more than one manufacturer but they will be built to the same design specification.

Good point. If they are all being made to an incorrect spec they will all have the same fault irrespective of who they are made by.

I guess where I am coming from is an (admittedly uneducated and possibly ill informed) point of view tI would have thought that there must be numerous shocks from many manufacturers that would fit the Aygo.

Just a thought from someone who has never taken a spanner to a car !

Good point. If they are all being made to an incorrect spec they will all have the same fault irrespective of who they are made by.

I guess where I am coming from is an (admittedly uneducated and possibly ill informed) point of view tI would have thought that there must be numerous shocks from many manufacturers that would fit the Aygo.

Just a thought from someone who has never taken a spanner to a car !

I understand where you are coming from and frustrated but to validate the warranty the parts being replaced have to be OE or Original Equipment. If other manufacturer parts are fitted the design spec could be incorrect or different and therefore effect the handling of the vehicle.

In conclusion, lets wait and see what Toyota come up with, they are no doubtingly taking this seriously and want to get to some sort of conclusion.

Agreed , we are possibly getting ahead of ourselves. From my experience of (not car) manufacturing it’s more likely to be a batch specific build issue rather than an inherent design fault.

I guess you are correct Toyota would be reluctant to use an alternative that didn't match the carefully designed, fully tested OEM spec. You could end up with problems like knocking etc…

Oh wait ….

I've made my decision..I'm now in the process of getting a refund. Thank you all for your thoughts about this but I'm exhausted by it all and really want that 'new car' feeling which I didn't get with this one. The Toyota team have been brill so far let's hope there's no issues with my refund.

What will you buy next? The VW Up looks good

I've been looking at that yes I like the vw high up..also quite like the adam .

I've made my decision..I'm now in the process of getting a refund. Thank you all for your thoughts about this but I'm exhausted by it all and really want that 'new car' feeling which I didn't get with this one. The Toyota team have been brill so far let's hope there's no issues with my refund.

I hope it all works out for you it's a shame it came to this.

I'm still not clear about the extent of this issue. It seems that ALL Aygos are likely to develop this fault at some point and Toyota seems to infer that that have no viable corrective action other than to fit another (potentially faulty) shock.

Meanwhile one presumes the TCPA in the Czech Republic are every day churning out hundred of Aygos (and C1 and 108) daily with potentially faulty components.

I kinda think if I was a Toyota big cheese this would be sorted out pretty damn quick before !Removed! hits fan big time.

Meanwhile , try a Skoda Citigo. It came very close a second when I was looking to replace my iQ

Thank you I will.

Before you decide,bear in mind that:

1. the Skoda Citigo, Seat Mio and VW Up are basically the same car, and are made in the same plant in Slovakia

2. the Volkswagen Group new car warranty has a number of exclusions at six months, including seat coverings, floor coverings, shock absorbers,etc.

So my advice would be to check the new car warranty terms and conditions for whatever manufacturer you're considering - these terms and conditions are available to view on the manufacturer's websites.

Have a look at the Hyundai i10 as well - available in both 1.0 litre and 1.2 litres, five year warranty including breakdown assistance, etc. The Hyundai warranty is quite good - we've just had the clutch replaced under warranty on our i20, which we bought new in April 2012.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links