Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise From Rear Of Brand New Aygo

Xpression

Thank you very good to know much appreciated! .

The problem with the Hyundais is that they aren't so great on fuel or road tax when I went to look at them but the long warranty and equipment list is a plus point. If your in to fuel efficient city cars then they praise the UP and it's variations. It's been out a while and I don't hear of too many problems. Personally I don't like the look of them but they are suppose to ride and handle like a much bigger car.

You could always op for an old shape Aygo?

Lesson is, never buy a car that's just been designed as it takes a few years for them to iron out the problems.

Agreed! Lesson learnt any views on the vauxhall Adam I know I will have to buy road tax but not to fussed about that not sure how long they have been about may go for used this time?

Volkswagen's new car warranty terms and conditions: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/plans-and-policies/factory/terms-and-conditions

As regards vehicle excise duty, the Aygo manual comes in group A (currently £0 per annum). The i10 manual 1.0 litre is group B (£0 for the first year, £20 per annum thereafter), and the 1.2 litre is Group C (£0 for the first year, £30 per annum thereafter). The Up Bluemotion manual and the Citigo/Mio equivalents are Group A and the rest Group B.

So whichever of these three one buys, the most one would pay in VED at current rates is £30 per annum after the 1st year - hardly a deal breaker.

As regards fuel consumption, Honest John's Real MPG has the following guidance:

Aygo - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/aygo-2014

i10 - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/hyundai/i10-2014

Up - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/up-2012

When in the HJ pages, click on the engine size to get consumption for that version

Thank you. Just read a review on the Adam not very impressed says lumpy and noisy on uneven roads . Back unstable and C pillars block reverse view. This is gonna be tricky and not fun finding another car :(

Vauxhall are bringing out a new city car which is a lot cheaper than the Adam but again it's risky buying a newly designed car.

When I looked at Hyundai the fuel on the 1.2 was shown at 45pg where as the Aygo and UP wee 60 plus.

If you can live with the looks of the UP then it's the best choice but if you have a little more money or go secondhand there is a lot more choice available.

The new entry level city car that Vauxhall have is the Viva - which is built for them by Chevrolet in Korea and is essentially the second generation Chevrolet Spark. General Motors own both Vauxhall and Chevrolet. Road tests this week in Autocar and Auto Express.

As regards the Up, both the Citigo and Mio are cheaper and probably better value.

I like the look of the citigo think I'm going to test drive one reviews are good need to test drive the VW up as well.

You probably won't get much of a deal on a VW, but may work something out with Skoda in my experience at least

Whatever you do put your desired car spec into Carwow and see what sort of deal you can get nationally.Dealers will usually try to match any discount offered. Just hold your nerve !

I managed to get well over £1000 off my Aygo by providing a couple of quotes from competing dealers .

Thanks good advice!

Thanks good advice!

My pleasure.

My partner got £3000 off her Audi by using the same technique (After being initially told we "don't discount on this model"). So it does work..... Just print out a couple of offers and you might be surprised how easy it is.

Good hunting.

Thank you need all the help I can get its made me quite cautious although it's just bad luck still believe Toyota are excellent car manufacturers just put me off that's all. Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem with mine, Registered Feb 15 with 1500 miles on the clock, had quite a loud banging on rear nearside, technicians couldn't hear the noise after the first test drive so took it for a second after I advised them to take their ear plugs out (not being sarcastic at all) decided after second test drive that shocks needed replacing which cured the problem.

Mine has now been returned and picked up a nice VW polo on Saturday and love it.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to post an update on this. The replacement shock absorbers also make the same knocking noise. I am going to replace them with some decent aftermarket ones. Does anyone know where I could get some? Internet searches only show shocks for the older Aygo model. Thanks.

Just to re-iterate, the knocking noise from the rear of my wife's Aygo was caused not by the dampers, but by the space-saver spare wheel rocking from side to side on the single rubber block that Toyota had fitted for it to rest on.

The noise was completely eliminated by fitting four rubber blocks, symmetrically laid out, so that the wheel rests evenly on them. I cannot see how anyone with the standard arrangement cannot be oblivious to the noise. It is amazing that Toyota dealers all over the country are not on top of this problem, yet my local RRG dealer claimed that we were the first case they had come across.

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution, but unfortunately I don't have a spare wheel, just a polystyrene tub with a compressor and rubber sealant. I have taken it all out, clipped all unused seat belts into their sockets, and emptied the entire car, but the knocking is still coming from the rear where the shock absorbers are...

There is a service bulletin on this with a production change in November 15 to change the rear shock.

Thanks, Dave. Do you have any more information on this for me, please? As I understand it, a TSB is only available to Toyota dealers, and it is their responsibility to act upon it if a customer brings a car in. Is that right? (so if I just keep quiet and keep driving, they won't contact me).

I think I'll phone them tomorrow and ask to bring the car in for replacement shocks (again), but this time the new design of shock absorber.

Xpression.

Thanks, Dave. Do you have any more information on this for me, please? As I understand it, a TSB is only available to Toyota dealers, and it is their responsibility to act upon it if a customer brings a car in. Is that right? (so if I just keep quiet and keep driving, they won't contact me).

I think I'll phone them tomorrow and ask to bring the car in for replacement shocks (again), but this time the new design of shock absorber.

Xpression.

I will post more when I am at work tomorrow but the dealer should know about it as its a new TSB. It's not a recall so they won't contact you.

Dave

TSB reference is CP-0117T-1115 cars built from November 2015 are now counter measured the bulletin was published to dealers Today.

TSB reference is CP-0117T-1115 cars built from November 2015 are now counter measured the bulletin was published to dealers Today.

Thanks Lee that is the correct TSB number it is titled 'Rear shock absorber abnormal noise'

Previous part number Current part number Part name Quantity

48530-0H040 48530-0H041 Absorber assy, shock ,RR 1

48530-0H050 48530-0H051 Absorber assy, shock ,RR 1

48530-0H060 48530-0H061 Absorber assy, shock ,RR 1

Production change from November 2015

Thanks, Both. I emailed this information to them today, with a request to replace the shocks under warranty.

Thanks, Both. I emailed this information to them today, with a request to replace the shocks under warranty.

Good luck let us know if they do it and that it does the trick!

No reply to my email yet, so I rang them today, and it's booked in for a check-up (first process) next Wednesday. The mechanic has to test drive the car and agree that it does indeed have a knocking noise (I shudder at the thought of the test drive... see page one), after which they have to fill in loads of forms and take photos and put in a claim to Toyota. Cue months of delay. I said I have the TSB number, but he didn't take it down, as 'we have no access to that sort of information, sir'. Anyway, I'll report back here. The knocking sound is audible on recordings from my Dashcam, so they should be able to hear it even if they suffer from 'mechanics deafness' or 'a-characteristic-of-the-car-itis'. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links