Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back Problems With Yaris Seats

jua

I purchased a new Yaris Hybrid with height adjustment in the driver seat. I'm having huge problems getting the seat to feel "right". Somehow it always supports my back incorrectly and I'm getting lower back pains even after half an hour. I'm not really sure wha'ts wrong, whether I'm sitting too low or too high. I can fit my wrist in upgridgt position over my head and have little extra room there so I think the seat is at somewhat correct height?

I've counted that you can pull the height lever 24 times to go from bottom to as high at it goes. I'm currently at 12/24 (It takes more than 24 pushes to go all the way down from top). I've tried other settings too but I'm thinking I would need to drive a while in each setting to see if it's correct? I also got a new chair at work and I've always had problems setting the chair correctly, so I'm a bit lost where the problem really is :) It's funny how I haven't had much problems with my older 2000 Yaris Verso...

Any ideas? I'm 180cm (5'10 or 5'11?) and somewhat normal weight/build. How high you have your seats? Do you have the back part upright?

I don't think the height adjustment is the cause of your problem. More likely to be the seat back angle. Get the seat back to feel comfortable and the fore/aft adjustment right before you adjust the height last of all.

Yeah, I have bad problems with the driver seat. I'm only 5ft and struggle to get my butt up against the back, the actual seat is too long for my thighs, which is strange for a car coming from the !Removed!. It also lacks any lumbar support. I had to buy several lumbar support cushions to try. I've found one that is ok, but I still suffer. Note for next car; must have lumbar adjustment and turn handles, not levers.

Funny thing I had Yaris twice for test drive, other time was overnight. Didn't have any problems then. Don't know how the seat was adjustet but there isn't THAT many different options... like the back part you can really use only in three different positions or it gets really weird.

Maybe I'll just have to start from the bottom and try all the 24 different heights with three different seat back positions :) And hope the seat levers don't brake from using then too much :D

I don't think the height adjustment is the cause of your problem. More likely to be the seat back angle. Get the seat back to feel comfortable and the fore/aft adjustment right before you adjust the height last of all.

I agree. I've seen a lot of people driving around with the seat back at 90° and for a start, that (usually) completely negates any built-in lumbar support!

This seems like a pretty good guide on how to adjust a car seat "properly"... (courtesy of drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk)

(note that they suggest adjusting seat height before anything else and I personally think this is the right way to start also...)

Initial driving position and posture guide

Take the time to familiarise yourself with ALL the adjustments (e.g. seat, steering wheel, seat belt).

Start by getting the seat into the ‘initial set up position’, where adjustable:

• Steering wheel fully up and fully forward
  • Seat height at its lowest
  • Cushion tilted so that front edge in lowest position
  • Back rest approximately 30 degrees reclined from vertical
  • Lumbar support adjustment backed off
  • Seat fully rearwards

Suggested sequence of adjustments for highly adjustable driving packages

1. Raise the seat as high as is comfortable to improve your vision of the road.

• Check you have adequate clearance from the roof.
  • Ensure you have maximum vision of the road.

2. Move the seat forwards until you can easily fully depress the clutch pedal and accelerator pedal.

• Adjust seat height as necessary to give good pedal control.

3. Adjust cushion tilt angle so that the thighs are supported along the length of the cushion.

• Avoid pressure behind the knees.

4. Adjust back rest so it provides continuous support along the length of the back and is in contact up to shoulder height.

• Avoid reclining the seat too far as this can cause excessive forward bending of the head and neck and you may feel yourself sliding forwards on the cushion.

5. Adjust the lumbar support to give even pressure along the length of the back rest.

• Ensure lumbar support ‘fits’ your back, is comfortable with no pressure points or gaps.

6. Adjust steering wheel rearwards and downwards for each reach.

• Check for clearance for things / knees when using pedals.
  • Ensure panel display is in full view and not obstructed.

7. Adjust the head restraint to ensure the risk of injury is reduced in the event of a car accident

Repeat stages 1-7 and fine tune as necessary

Be aware that many cars will not allow you as much flexibility of driving posture as you may like.

Particular cars may cause you to adopt a ‘coping’ posture. For example, limited headroom forces a reclined posture, making reach to the steering wheel a problem. This leads to excessive forward bending of the head and neck and a ‘slouched’ posture.

I'm figuring a lot might be to do with the fact that seat height adjustment doesn't really rise the whole seat, but just sort of the back part of it. So it basically alters the seat angle, and adjusting the angle changes the lumbar support feel... And a lot is between my ears also as the same setting feels different the next day :) And of course if I'm constantly changing the positions I'm not getting used to any and everything feels wrong...

You're right about the seat height adjustment and the way it seems to work. Myself, being 6' 3" tall, the seat height is completely negated and I have it on the lowest setting all the time anyway but on its lowest, at least the underthigh squab support is then good... (for me)

Its then just a case of getting the seat back rake right and for me that's about 40° from the vertical which gives me a slightly bent arm posture that I feel is ideal. To be honest, I find the Yaris very comfortable to drive...

I see so many people driving around so upright and slumped forward over the wheel with their forearms resting on it; hands at 5 to 1 on the clock instead of the more ideal either 10 to 2 or ¼ to 3. You really don't have good control of a car in that position...

I've measured length from the steering wheel by straightening my arm at "12 o clock" and seeing if I can touch the wheel with my wrist when my hand is straight.

I like the upright seat position but not really sure yet how it changes the lumbar support. I've also tried lowering the seat few notches but I after 2 or 3 clicks I would need to move seat too forward for my feet to be comfortable.

From what I remember from my test drive 5 weeks or so ago, I didn't think about the seat position at all because it felt good even after driving for 3 hours or so. That's why it's so weird how bad it now feels... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've had a break from going to the gym too...

Edit: was just driving, I'm starting to think the lumbar support is too low, if that's possible? How should I adjust it to get it "higher"?

We are all going to be different - even 2 people at 6' will be different, some have longer bodies and shorter legs - I am 6' but only 29" inside leg which means my torso is long.

Dont forget the steering wheel probably goes up and down, maybe even in and out, so those will make a difference. You can buy back supports, similar for office chairs.

Hope you find a good solution, personally I got a nice comfy position very quickly.

• 1 year later...

The post from Colin giving details of how to adjust seats says this

3. Adjust cushion tilt angle so that the thighs are supported along the length of the cushion.

• Avoid pressure behind the knees.

i have a Yaris excel top range but the driving seat tilts back so if my feet touch the pedals at a comfortable angle the ridge at the front of the seat digs in. Isvery uncomfortable  and have tried all combinations of lever adjustments. Am I the only one with this problem? Any way to sort it? Only partial answer seems to be a floor raiser pad from RCM. Anyone used one of these?

Christine, have you tried playing around with a combination of seat height and/or front/back slider? The reason that I say that is because the height adjustment is sort of "saucer" shaped in operation (as opposed to straight up/down). By that I mean that as it rises, the rear edge of the seat rises faster than the front which creates a sort of "tilt". This may lower the front squab away from your thighs a bit and ease the discomfort? Conversely, as it falls the rear squab of the seat falls faster than the front which gives the effect you describe of digging into your thighs... Obviously, you'll have to play around with the front/back slider a bit as you do it and maybe also the steering wheel height/reach? (it does both). Eventually, you'll then need to adjust the backrest rake to suit...

Thank you, Colin for that explanation. I have done a lot of playing around with the seat controls and what you say does answer why the tilt forward is better when the seat is high up. Trouble is my feet don't then reach the pedals hence the need for a raiser pad!

Have you tried a lumbar support cushion? They are not a perfect solution but cheaper than changing the car which was my only other alternative. I've put up with mine for 2 years with no more major back issues. However the cushion still wasn't fully fat enough and so i needed to add some extra harder foam behind the cushion. I tried about 5 different cushions. Essentially the seat is just very badly designed for short people. At least I know what to look for in my next car.

I use the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111279575288?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=410280437564&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't bother using the strap included.

Thank you for you suggestion. Yes I have tried various cushions and supports but I do find the seat back shape very comfortable. It is the tilt, length of the seat and the firmness of the ridge at the front that is the issue.

I wonder if you have tried the Putnams inflateable/ deflateable back support? It is easier to adjust than a set one though not as large as the one you have. It didn't suit me, though their wedge cushion is what I am using under the mat to raise the car floor for my feet at present. 

I have to say I was aware of the seat issue for short people. I have it often in restaurants, etc but when I test drove the car was obviously tensed up and assumed I could play with the settings at my leisure. I have tried following Colin's advice and raised the seat to the top. It does flatten out a bit but I still need the raiser pad. Oh joy! Have longish journey ahead and will see how I fare on that?

The seats in our new Yaris are not up to a long drive, over 50 miles, I get back ache too. This doesn't  happen in my Lexus though.

11 minutes ago, Peter S said:

The seats in our new Yaris are not up to a long drive, over 50 miles, I get back ache too. 

Think that needs qualifying - "The seats in our new Yaris are not up to a long drive over 50 miles, for me. I get back ache too."

Otherwise the forums would be inundated with complaints about the Yaris seats - and they aren't. 

I would suspect that a "sport" model has different seats to a non "sport" Yaris. Does it?

No consolation to you, Peter, but both the Mk 2 I owned and my current Mk 3 Yaris' seats have been/are very comfortable. I have a lower back problem but the seats have never aggravated the condition at all. It could be just a matter of adjustment.

The only personal problem I have with my Mk 3 seats is that I find the seat material is a bit slippy and over time, on a journey, my backside gradually slides forward! I've "fixed" this by sitting on a cotton terry towel.:blink:

Hi All, I agree that the seat base angle drops at the rear more than the front. If the adjustment mechanism worked like a Scissor jack then the base would move equally. I've had the same problem on other motors, I ended up putting a spacer between the seat rail and floor at the rear securing bolt. Make sure the bolt is long enough to accommodate the spacer then there are no MOT worries.

I'm 6' 2" (long legs) and find the pedals are too close and the steering just right! :laugh:

I have the seat at the bottom and as far back as it will go. The seat back is angled so it is slightly applying pressure on my shoulders at the expense of lower back support (if I make it so my lower back feels supported, the rest of my body is off the seat!). I have a natural curve when sat, and apparently have the seat reclined "abnormally" far back (but it feels just right to me!).

I have the steering column pulled as far it will go and lowered as far as it will go.

IMHO the lower part of the seat back needs a little bit more cushioning to make it "just right" but as it is now I can drive for hours and not even feel it.

I wish they would push the pedals back, or even have like aircraft do of having adjustable pedals! I sometimes get a bit of ankle ache as it is slightly too close, but most of the time it is fine (cruise control helps on those days!).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links