Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sunroof Help Please!

Salim

Hi, I'm 17 and I have a 1990 toyota celica v4 2.2. I got it all customized with body kit, rims and all exhaust system and all that, but I have a problem with the sunroof. I was driving back from a shop where I just replaced the transmission and I decided to put the sunroof up, it worked, but when I got home I press the sunroof down button but it wont go down, I just hear a clicking sound. Its stuck in the vent position and I went to a shop they said they can close it for 30 bucks, but how? I wanted to know how much it would take it to fix it but they wouldnt tell me they just give me the all around we have to diagnose it and they wouldnt tell me how much that is too! I'm so mad, if anyone could please give me some clues on what i should do? Tired of puttin a black trash bag on the sunroof, I want to possible fix it for the cheapest way cuz my amplifier, sub woofer and digital cd player, and neon light got stolen and I want to replace them too.

i did my mates once on a alpha twin spark , under the buttons should be an emergency screw you turn with a big screw driver , just a hunch but worth a try if its the same.

Yeh I unscrewed the thing, and there is a big switch that has a flat screw driver head, and there are other small ones with the same heads, the problem is I cant turn it with a flat screw driver, it just slips alot and causes dents in the screw, its, attached very hard I cant movie it!

they are very hard to turn , try 1 way then the other , also get someone to add pressure up top on the sunroof while you try to turn it.

I try to turn them but I cant, guess I need a power tool a very strong on indeed, duno mind as well pay 30 bucks to get it down, I dont want to screw up the screw anymore than in already is.

You need to locate the drive motor, the emergency operator is normally on that, is that where you have been trying???

Theres a drive motor? And an emergeny operator? I opened the little snap on thing, unscrewed all the screws and removed the panel with buttons and all I see is the big screw in the center that I tried to loosen with a power tool too and it ddint work and there are also other 3 or 4 screws like that one but only smaller. A few inches fromt that is a balck cylinder which I think is the motor. The up down button clicks that means it has power, I duno why it wont shut the sunroof I guess its the button panel or wires. You wont beleive how much I spent on this car so far, about 2000 in just a week and a half to get it aligned and the steering wheel still isnt completely centered when I'm driving straight! I guess my dad will sell it for sure.

as kelven said the emergency screw is on the roof motor ,if its as hard as you say to turn maybe there's problems with the teeth on mechanism , but seems unlikely that it would just go like that . think you would hear noises long before it dies.did you check all fuses and relays are ok ??????

Yeh the buttons and fuses are ok, it gets power too, cuz when you press the button u hear a clicking sound. I duno, I'm prolly gona have it fixed soon, but after that the car has to go. My mom wont even let me step foot in it any more and its right in the driveway too, she says that it will break down again and all that crap but now its all fixed too! Pisses me off cuz they wont even let me use it before they get rid of it.

I hope i'm not insulting anyones inteligence here but- have you tried turning the screw the other way? You keep saying that you're trying to 'loosen' the screw which to me implies that you're trying to turn it anti-clockwise but as this screw turns in both directions depending on whether the sunroof is open or closed try turning it clockwise instead.

I have a Gen 4 Celica and that has an emergency manual closing screw which is located behind the electric sunroof switch panel. to get to it you have to first remove a locking screw and beneath that is a slotted spindle that you can turn either way with a flat headed screwdriver (or the tool supplied with the car) and manually crank the sunroof shut quite easily.

they are very hard to turn , try 1 way then the other , also get someone to add pressure up top on the sunroof while you try to turn it.

topic was covered

• 15 years later...

My sunroof opens on the first push of the button but on the 2nd push it should open fully but the left side starts to move but the rite side seems to be stopping it. What should I do. Toyota celica vvtli 190. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links