Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question About Dipped Headlights

Hoddie

I've found this forum incredibly useful over the years but for the first time I can't find an answer to my question. I'm guessing that means it's not fixable but thought I'd check anyway.

We're taking a trip across Europe in our 2007 Prius taking in Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. In both Austria and Slovenia I believe it's necessary to keep your dipped headlights on at all times, which would be fine except that this also reduces the brightness of the dashboard information, so much so that in strong sunlight it's barely visible, and with sunglasses on it simply cannot be seen.

Is there a way to increase the brightness of the dashboard info when the dipped headlights are on? I hope someone can help!

I've only ever had one other issue with my Prius - it's a left-hand drive version set to kph and I've not found a way of changing the display to mph for when I'm in the UK. After looking online it appears that this is possible to do but the methods suggested don't seem to work on mine.

I can't remember the dash layout of the '07 I had, but there should either be a button with a symbol of a speedo and a bulb beside it, which will allow you to scroll through 4 or 5 brightness settings with repeated presses.

If not that, there will be a wheel switch. Rolling it one way will dim the dash lights, rolling it the other way will brighten them. If the wheel is rolled past the brightest setting (a noticeable click will be felt), the dimmer is switched off completely.

Hello Chippy01, thanks for the reply. My wife thinks it might be a 2006 model if that makes a difference. Either way, the only dial on the dashboard is numbered 0 to 5 (from memory) and this increases the brightness/length of the main headlights without affecting the dashboard at all. The only other buttons relate to the information/audio screen and the odometer. On the steering wheel column is the light stick, the wiper stick and on the steering wheel itself is the cruise control stick and various controls relating to the A/C and audio.

As Chippy said it will be a button on the centre part of the dash above the radio.

On a RHD UK model it is the right most button with a picture of a speedo dial on it.

I do not know the European models, but I suspect that only UK models have the ability to swap between MPH and KPH.

Funnily enough the same switch/button is used to do this.

Ah that seems to be it though on mine it's just printed with a single dot for some reason. Excellent stuff. Thanks Sooty and Chippy01 - Toyota Owners Club comes up trumps again, I love this place :)

ps for admin if they happen to read this. There's a quick fix for the IE copy/paste bug available here:

https://www.invisionpower.com/support/kb/_/ie11-copypaste-linking-and-quote-issues-r58

The dash brightness should be viewable in daylight with the headlights on. Somewhere the brightness has been turned down if you can't see the display. I often use my headlights if it's raining or foggy.

Same with changing to kph/mph. This is a requirement in EU models (and I believe the US/Canadian ones too), though whether an Asian Prius has the option is unknown. The Prius is manufactured around the World, including Thailand, with adjustments made for local market requirements; ie the US version climate control is in F rather than C with no option to change etc.

The OP hasn't said where in the World they are.

• Like 1

The dashboard/dipped lights issue was solved Grumpy Cabbie, thanks though :)

I'm a Brit who lives in Belgium with regular trips to the UK so a mph display would be very welcome. The Prius was bought here in Belgium and the manual is in Dutch only which is no good for me (French or English would have been fine but they only had Dutch available at the time). The only English version of the 2007 manual I've found online is the one for the US/Canada market and the method it shows doesn't work in my car. Perhaps the EU requirement came in after March 2007 when I bought mine?

The conversion rate is easy enough to remember and I know the 48, 64, 80, 96 and 112 off by heart now. Being able to change the display would be easier still though.

There is a sunlight sensor on the top of the dash, right hand front corner, make sure this isn't covered up. If it is, the dash lights will dim when you switch on the headlamps.

I am sorry for being dumb but I can't see how to do the brightness fix on a UK 06 Prius. Did I miss something?

I am sorry for being dumb but I can't see how to do the brightness fix on a UK 06 Prius. Did I miss something?

See attached picture (hope it works) - with the lights on, press this button - each press steps though 4 (IIRC) brightness levels:

http://biwel.com/pmb01/DSCF1998.jpg

Thanks Pete, spot on. I think I got confused by the other discussion about swapping between Kmh and Mph.

same button - press quickly to change brightness, hold in to swap between MPH/KPH

same button - press quickly to change brightness, hold in to swap between MPH/KPH

In the Australasian market, this held press turns off the dimmer so the MFD and instrument cluster goes to full brightness. Just what the OP wanted. Handy for when you use the headlights during the day. It also resets back to the last dimmed setting when the car is switched off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links