Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slight Noise At Idle But Goes When Clutch Is Pushed Down

Garfield70

Hello, I purchased a Rav4 XTR D-4D 2008 model last week, 62000 miles on the clock, I have only just noticed that when the car is ticking over in neutral there is a slight noise but when I press the clutch in it goes, everything seems to work fine, the gears are nice and smooth, the noise is a slight whirring noise, is this normal or is it a sign that something is worn and on the way out? Like I said the noise isn't that obvious and I only noticed it after a week.

Any answers please?

Hi Dan.

The first answer that comes to mind is the clutch release bearing is worn and therefore the clutch as a unit, 3 parts will need changing and this may be the reason the previous owner sold it as these clutches are very expensive to replace................good luck and let us know how thing go.

Regards Mike.

Well I have just taken the Rav4 to my local garage to have a listen, the mechanic said the noise was minimal and if it was his car he wouldn't worry about it, possible being a 6 speed it might be the normal noise it makes, but he did say its possibly the thrust bearing and if it is that it will get more noticeable, so at the moment I will leave it and see what happens.

I would be interested to hear from other Rav4 owners to see if they can hear a difference when running at idle, pressing the clutch down and listening to hear if there is a difference in noise?

Often if it's the release bearing the noise goes away as soon as you start to press the clutch, ie only push it an inch or so.

Ok thank you Alan, I will see what happens if I just push the clutch in an inch or so.

Hello, I purchased a Rav4 XTR D-4D 2008 model last week, 62000 miles on the clock, I have only just noticed that when the car is ticking over in neutral there is a slight noise but when I press the clutch in it goes, everything seems to work fine, the gears are nice and smooth, the noise is a slight whirring noise, is this normal or is it a sign that something is worn and on the way out? Like I said the noise isn't that obvious and I only noticed it after a week.

Any answers please?

Hi there, my Rav has been making this noise since about 75000 miles and it's now done 100,000 ! My local garage that I've used for many years said not to worry, take it in if it gets worse, clutch is working fine but I expect I'll need a new one some time soon!

That's useful information, thank you Ian, I hope mine is like your Rav4 then and does a few thousand miles more, has the noise in your car get worse since you first noticed it?

My local garage said the same as yours, just ignore unless it gets worse.

No , it hasn't got any worse, still the same as when I first heard it, to be hones I don't notice it now, but then I am a bit deaf!

• 7 months later...

Just an update on the release bearing noise on my Rav4, its now done 72000, so its 10000 miles since my last post, the noise doesn't seem any louder, the clutch is working perfectly fine, so glad I didn't rush out and get the clutch replaced!

Yeah, the release bearings are pretty tough but if the previous owner was one of those numptys who waits at the light with the foot brake and clutch pressed down for the whole time, that is probably the cause.

It should survive until the actual clutch plate needs changing tho'!

Yes, well if it starts to get louder than I will have to have the clutch replaced, but at the moment its not very audible, in fact if I point it out to passengers in the car they can't normally hear it unless I turn off the stereo and blower fan, and even then its a quiet rumble, so hopefully it will last another 20000 miles or so.

HI, clutches replaced on these are not cheap, use your vehicle for as long as it lasts until it gives up, just my opinion of course but the ultimate choice is yours. Good luck!

Hmmmm yes I understand that clutches are expensive, my only worry is that if the clutch goes and leaves me stranded somewhere, that's why if it gets noisier I might consider getting a clutch replacement, apart from that I really like the car, lovely to drive, decent economy. so versatile, best car that I have owned.

• 2 years later...

Just an update on my post from over 3 years ago, my Rav4 XTR-D-4D(2008) had a noise from clutch bearing, I didn't notice when I purchased the car but a week later I heard the noise,  it had just done 62000, its now done 114000 miles and clutch still fine, noise I little bit louder. I only update as one or two people told me at the time the clutch needs replacing so glad that they didn't know what they were talking about :-)

Before total clutch failure you should get some warning, typically clutch slip. You will notice clutch slip when you press the accelerator, engine revs go up, but the vehicle movement is less then what you used to. You will probably first get to notice it on hill starts. 

Now you will be worried whether you detecting clutch slip. If the car is still on it’s original clutch (do you have any invoices) then it’s doing ok at 114,000, and if a new clutch costs say £700 then you know you have, potentially, a lot of life left in the vehicle (barring any other major mechanicals).

There!s a lot of missconceptions about clutch noises. At idle with the clutch fully engaged, there’s no thrust on the release bearing. Noise from the area is usually the bearing tilting on it’s mounting yoke and catching the fingers of the pressure plate. Noise can be a slight rattle or a whirring sound. The true test of a bearing is when it’s under load - so when the clutch is pressed, an increase in noise, or in extreme cases, vibration through the pedal - would suggest a worn bearing. If any noise reduces with the clutch pressed - there’s little to worry about. If any concerns, it’s wise to check that that the free play on the clutch pedal is within specification. There’s no point replacing a clutch unless it!s slipping, juddering (and any other possible causes have been checked out) or the thrust bearing is getting increasingly noisy with the pedal pressed. Whilst sitting at the lights with the car in gear will cause release bearing wear - riding the clutch is much more detrimental in that it wears the release bearing, damages the pressure plate and can cause wear and overheating of the drive plate.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links