Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc Sports Vs Traction Control

JMan55

Hi All

Ive just upgraded from my Hyundai Coupe to a GT86 and am loving it.

This is the first car I have ever owned that gives me a choice of safety options on/off - ie the traction control and VSC Sports.

I have read a lot of reports from forums on these and (you will excuse my ignorance) they seem to do a similar thing - ie reduce power and apply brakes if they since the car starting to slide. The main difference I notice however is that people tend to fear turning the traction control off more than they fear turning the sports mode on.

Is anyone able to give a simplistic explanation to the difference between these two.

Dont worry im not about to rush out and experiment on the public highways. I would just like a better understanding of what these buttons are offering me.

Cheers in advance!

You have two systems ( and buttons ) that offer support whilst driving

TRC is traction control and it is designed to reduce wheel spin where the power to the rear wheels exceeds the grip available, it does this by sensing the difference in individual wheel speeds and when it detects one or both of the rear wheels going faster than the other wheels it reduces throttle input until traction is restored. This can be switched on/off using the TRC button

VSC is vehicle stability control this detects the car is loosing stability e.g under steer where the steering input is greater than the actual rate of turn or over steer where the rate of turn is greater the steering input. This is detected through a steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensors and a 'G' force sensor which allow the car to detect the loss of control and then assist with steering control, weighting the wheel in the wrong direction of turn and lightening the steering in the correct direction, controlling throttle input and braking the wheels as required to prevent/control the skid. This control/input can be reduced in its action by pressing the VSC Sport button but the VSC is still on and will act if it detects an issue just not as soon as in the normal setting.

The VSC & TRC can be totally switched off removing all of their assistance by pressing both TRC off & VSC Sport until 2 orange TRC OFF / VSC OFF lights illuminate on the dash now the car will do nothing to assist

• Like 1

Best explanation I've had yet. Many thanks for that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links