Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Shock Knock .. Or Is It ?

Igundwane

OK, will try to keep this concise, but with me, well .... could prove a challenge.

Car - 2001 Celica 140bhp - 65k on the Clock

Road Types - Rough B Roads and Back Roads Mainly

Issue - Front Suspension Knock, Rattle and Somewhat imprecise steering, appears to be coming from Passenger Side ( Noise that is ) Kicks around quite a bit on these rough back roads and tends to pull to the left. (that could possibly be a tempermental caliper) But its the knocky rattle that is the infuriating part.

Check List to Date - New Ball Joints, New Drop Links, No Lateral Play in Top Strut Mounts, No Play in Lower Swing Arms, Pry Bar Challenge - Car Jacked Up and Pry Bar Placed under Wheel and Suspension Moved up and down ( Passenger Side there is a little movement - Drivers Side No Movement or Give ) Inspection of Drivers Strut reveals an oil weep ... unknown to length of time. Passenger Side Dry.

Conclusion / Advice - Replace Both Front Struts ? Or is / has driver's side failed and is transmitting itself across as a passenger side failure ? Replacement Struts £60 each.

Ps, Did not help matters as I was driven off the road last week after a 5 series lost control on a corner coming towards me. I chose the grass as a softer option, luckily nothing bent besides my underwear and what I can assume was a couple of irate pheasants who were disturbed from the morning slumbers.

• 2 weeks later...

After all the superb advice from all contributors, i finally found the cause !

It was a Gnome sitting in the wheel arch with a Hammer Knocking away ...

I have now confiscated the hammer, aforementioned Gnome has been lectured on the vagaries of his ways and peace has returned.