Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Camera

Bitch1001

On my old Yaris ,the reverse camera screen showed red and blue marker lines so yup could judge how close you were

On the x cite there is nothing just the camera view , is this right ?

Thanks in advance

Yes it is right, no marker grid or anything.

Yep can confirm this..... Just a message advising to check surroundings (duh!).

The lines would be useful for judging distance as the view is rather distorted. Nice addition but I think the camera is of limited use without those lines or a parking sensor.

I guess this is another of those little things that seems odd no one involved in the design pointed out.

• Like 1

Bit poor really , would be better off with sensors

Might get some fitted and colour coded

My dealer says the camera is correct and should not have lines on

Will I email toyota to see if this can be done , and what email will I use to contact them

Thanks in advance

That's quite interesting. The question is did Toyota take them out or Citroen put them in?

It would be quite embarrassing for Toyota if the engineers at Citroen had looked at the way the camera worked, decided (as I have) that it is of little use without the lines, and added them!.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry you have been disappointed with this aspect of your new Aygo.

I can confirm this is not an error, it is the specification of the vehicle and camera. Unfortunately, therefore, it is not possible for the design to be changed with a software update. I am sorry for the additional disappointment this will cause.

We very much value the feedback we receive from loyal Toyota customers. As distributor for Toyota vehicles in the UK we do not have control over all aspects of vehicle specification, however, we will request certain features in response to customer demand. I will be forwarding a copy of your email to our Product Team for consideration. Whilst I cannot promise there will be a change, your preference for guidance lines will be given careful consideration for the development of future models.

I do hope that this aspect does not detract from your overall enjoyment of your car, and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Samantha Betts

Toyota Customer Relations

The response , looks like toyota got this one wrong , not happy like , the camera is virtually useless ,

Ms Betts must be getting a bit fed up with sending out basically the same letter to every technical enquiry. I had more or less the same letter for my enquiries about the lack of clock on the sat nav and phone compatibility.

The Aygo is probably no better or worse than any other car in this sector when it come to silly things being overlooked. What causes a bit of concern is how obvious these " mistakes " are.

I find it had to believe that during the entire design cycle no one at any time tried to navigate somewhere and try to check the time, tried to reverse and realise the camera isn't very effective without guidance lines and try to connect to one of the most modern and popular phones ...... and realise there were issues.

If you believe the media hype for the new Aygo - there were lots of resources dedicated to designing the colours of the interior and exterior trim instead of focussing on more fundamental issues like user experience.

I hope our comments DO get back to Toyota... but as far as being proactive with an updates, I guess we can all Go Fun Ourselves.

TOC is not affiliated with Toyota, so whether or not Toyota do visit the forums is open to question.

The best way to communicate anything you consider could be improved is to tell Toyota directly rather than leave it to chance Toyota stumbling upon it on a forum. They do take notice of direct customer feedback and send it to the relative planning department. Whether it is implemented is another matter, but they do collate feedback given to them

The best way to communicate anything you consider could be improved is to tell Toyota directly rather than leave it to chance Toyota stumbling upon it on a forum. They do take notice of direct customer feedback and send it to the relative planning department. Whether it is implemented is another matter, but they do collate feedback given to them

Hopefully that's what will happen when Toyota Customer Relations forward our emails to the Product Team.

It is worth noting that it is entirely possible someone within Toyota's Marketing team ( or their agents) would monitor social media and user forums for customer feedback. It is kind of standard practice in the (Marketing) industry. But as you rightly say the only way to be sure is a direct appraoch

Toyota do have a very pro active social media team, in fact their own forum is a rich source of customer content, however the internet is a very large area to cover, there are people in Toyota who look at these forums, but how much they take from it I do not know

I wonder if the grid lines are in the camera lens and if it is interchangeable with the Aygo.

I took mine to my local car electrical place to see if I could change the lens ,

They said no , the system as got to come complete , the grid lines can't be added to the lens

I'm getting sensors added at the end of the month , the camera is useless , I prefer a audio beep , especially when it's dark outside

I would almost guarantee that the lines are added to the image electronically either by the camera I or the display.. I've seen example s whereby the lines move as the drive turns the wheel which worked well.

The camera DOES offer some improvement in rear vision I.e. What's behind me that I can't see in my mirrors ? (usually in my case cats or chickens)

But as a parking aid particularly without sensors it is pretty much useless. How on Earth did Toyota not realise this.?

I dont see the issue with not having some lines on screen as a guage....in fact i think the cameras fantastic it makes reversing easy imho

i retro fitted a reversing camera to our 2014 aygo ,included in the £25 price is the p&p 4.3" lcd screen and a night vision camera WITH grid lines,it just goes to prove how cheap electronic goods are today, so why didn't toyota just do it properly 1st time round ????

i bought this one but it came with a flush mounted camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing-Car-Parking-Rear-View-Kit-Waterproof-Camera-4-3-LCD-Screen-Moniter-/291266616353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d0d7dc21

I was surprised to find a lack of useful markers on the screen, after having the camera and on-screen markers on our old Prius. They were really useful when parking in spaces. It's especially annoying when the bumper corners are in the camera's blind spots.

I find the rear parking sensors much more useful than the camera and would have even preferred having front sensors instead of the reversing camera.

• 3 months later...

I have just looked on Aliexpress, and they have standalone camera's with BUILT IN DISPLAY LINES for around £8!

Plenty of display examples to look at, and with free shipping to UK, must be worth a punt just to see if they are compatible.

Most of them seem to imply they will fit a wide range of vehicle makes, including Toyota, and at a glance, seem pretty much like the Aygo's camera.

For the older Aygo's, or any other car come to that, they have a rear view mirror with built in screen that connects to the camera, all for around £25.

for me its a question of why is toyota being so tight fisted spending money,if you look around you can buy a better camera system for relatively no money at all and if this technology is so inexpensive then there is no reason why toyota with their buying power couldn't have the lines on the camera.the system for very little extra money,in the post above the system cost £35'ish that included the camera ,wiring and mirror.

i am sure the toyota camera could be changed as you will only need a vga conection,+12v & -12v so not a big job to do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Camera is a load of **** anyway the rear visibility is worse than a vans

- Either shoulder there is a massive blind spot due to the B pillars/seats and the mirrors are that small that they don't help at all

• Like 1

My 15 reg seems fine although it would be nice to have the white lines on the screen to know where your moving in to. Quality of the image is good though.

I have sent many e-mails to Toyota regarding reversing cameras on the Aygo x-cite I have even sent letters to the MD of Toyota uk Mr Paul Van der Burgh But got no were the insist they camera is fit for purpose, I asked the question were could I find the information regarding the two different types of cameras before I purchased the car they said it was on page 12 of the Aygo brochure please download it and have a look it does not show the camera then they said the salesman could have informed me well I had the car delivered to my home for my wife's birthday as soon as I realised it had a cheap and nasty camera fitted I return to the dealer he took me outside to check a different Aygo and said yes there all like that so it must be ok. I was then told if I contacted customer service before I purchased the car they would have told me the reason I did not do this is because I bought my granddaughter a Citroen C1 last October and this has the guidelines showing I assumed the Aygo would be of the same speck or better as it was more expensive.

These people in Toyota customer services should be politicians they avoid questions you ask and lie about others after several e-mails and two letters to the MD I got a response saying this was this was there final decision on this subject.

I then visited Toyota Facebook page on the 13/08/2015 to find a article called Reversing Cameras Myth Busting if you can find it its worth reading it states you can have a snazzy reversing camera even on the Aygo and a picture above it with guess what? guidelines on after a few little digs on Facebook the last reply was as follows

Hi John, that is quite alright, we are proud of the specification on offer on all our vehicles. The article says: "reverse cameras are available even on our smallest, most affordable car – the Aygo " then later: "Rear View Monitor - for Yaris" - so it does mention the two systems and two of our different cars. We sell many different cars and the specifications for each are different because they cater for different users and markets and must remain affordable for the buyer

This makes the issue a​bout as clear as fog it seems on the Aygo we have a reversing camera all others have a rear view monitor if anyone can tell me the difference I would much appreciate thank you.

As this post is getting a bit long I will put my e-mails and Toyotas response's on at a later date.

Finally the only thing I have to say on this matter is I wish I could go back in time and buy a second C1 Citroen customer service are great.