Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres And Chips

mytonkatoy

Hello

Purchased a 2010 Hilux 3.0 Invincible last weekend.

Big, slow and bouncy........but I love it!!!

Now for a few mods but could use some considered advice.

1. Tyres.

It has the standard duellers on which ride well on the road but from the look of the tread pattern they won't be much use when the going gets tough. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not going to tackle mountains, most of the time I'm doing motorways and A roads through my work in the week but I need the truck to tow a horse box through potentially muddy fields/ entrances and also have a reasonably sized boat that I need to tow, and possibly more importantly, launch on slippery ramps.

I'm no stranger t 4x4's, I grew up on a farm and the transport of choice was a Landy or a tractor.

Taking a look around this and other forums it seems that 'All Terrains' would fit the bill; and the general consensus seems to be GG At's or BFG AT's. I did have some BFG's on a Fourtrack I had once, many moons ago, but it was so noisy anyway I wouldn't have noticed the perceived extra noise of the tyres?

As a further note to this I do thing that a vehicle like this does look better with a decent set of boots on it and the BFG's do look the business; however I'd rather compromise the looks for a more quieter ride; I'll get less grief from the Mrs and family.

Any opinions?

2. Chips

I have read that it is a fairly easy process, if not on the wallet, to chip these beasts. My questions are:

1. I have learned with most things mechanical that there is usually a downside to running things stronger than they were meant to run. One of the reasons I bought a Hilux was because of its legendary mechanics. Am I compromising this by chipping?

2. I enjoy the low torque of the Hilux engine for general driving, I have read that the chip only shifts the torque up the revs a bit which is really what I'm not after??

Thanks in advance for your replies.

As a further note to this I do thing that a vehicle like this does look better with a decent set of boots on it and the BFG's do look the business; however I'd rather compromise the looks for a more quieter ride; I'll get less grief from the Mrs and family.

Any opinions?

2. Chips

I have read that it is a fairly easy process, if not on the wallet, to chip these beasts. My questions are:

1. I have learned with most things mechanical that there is usually a downside to running things stronger than they were meant to run. One of the reasons I bought a Hilux was because of its legendary mechanics. Am I compromising this by chipping?

2. I enjoy the low torque of the Hilux engine for general driving, I have read that the chip only shifts the torque up the revs a bit which is really what I'm not after??

Thanks in advance for your replies.

With regards to extra power the Lindop chip (I`ve one on mine, fitted in 5 mins) is also well regarded as a safe reliable one and at a good price compared to the pricey Steinbauer.

You can buy the Lindop on this forum from John Devlin (Kingo)(http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/user/34014-parts-king/) who is a real gent and only too willing discuss any questions you may have.

I`m not a speed demon but found it gives extra low down power just where its needed most.

Thanks Dave for your advice and opinion.

90 NM extra torque with one of our kits, it will transform the drive for you, price £375 delivered

Kingo

Thanks DervDave, pies in the post for you :thumbsup::lol:

• Like 1

Thanks DervDave, pies in the post for you :thumbsup::lol:

I wouldn`t say it if I didn`t mean it or wasn`t true :flowers:

Thanks Kingo, expect a PM.

Still thinking about tyres, favour some BFG's AT's. Anybody wishing to share their experience of BF AT's on a Hilux.....what's it like on the road, and off?