Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Nuts!

Jim255

Hello everybody.

I have a Gen III 10th Anniversary, which comes with 7 spoke 17" alloy wheels. These look great, but the overall appearance is spoiled by the wheel nuts. They are badly corroded red rusty.

I checked with my main dealer last weekend, and was informed that they were not covered under the warranty as the problem was cosmetic. Further, replacements are £8.50 EACH! So about £140 to replace them all.

I have been looking for some after market black anodised replacements. Does anyone have a lead on where to try? If not, then the specification of the nuts to assist my search.

Many thanks for any help.

Sounds a bit of a dubious excuse from the dealers. Which one was it?

My wheel nuts are still totally fine and unrusty after 5+ hard years of driving, which includes winters on heavily salted northern roads.

I wonder if Toyota used sub standard nuts on the special edition Anniversary model and are now regretting so?

As the wheels are different, I suspect a different type of wheel nut. It was Currie Motors Isleworth who told me I could not claim. I think I will email Toyota UK and see what they say.

Rusty wheel nuts were an issue with some first generation Auris. Some dealers would replace them under warranty, some dealers wouldn't. Think under the warranty alloy wheels are covered for three years for cosmetic damage - suppose some dealers view wheel nuts in the same light (ie. Cosmetic damage covered for three years).

Over three years old now, but have a 5 year warranty. I have emailed Toyota UK to see what they think.

Had an Auris previously and the wheel nuts went rusty and the plating started to flake off. I think it was about 3-4 year old and the nuts were replace under warranty. As far as I am concerned the "cosmetic" excuse isn't valid. they could even roll that one out to cover a multitude of defects.

Over three years old now, but have a 5 year warranty. I have emailed Toyota UK to see what they think.

Yes was aware of the fact that yours is a five year warranty - but as with any warranty there some limitations within the warranty.

Some owners have purchased wheel nut covers to disguise their rusty wheel nuts, rather than buy completely new wheel nuts.

Sorry Frostyballs, I wasn't implying you weren't aware of the 5 year warranty. I have seen the covers, and will consider that route if Toyota GB are unwilling to assist.

Cmclean - I agree with you. They shouldn't go rusty like this.

Try a scrap yard, plenty around and they will be pennies.

Toyota were always no quibble with warranty claims, though I've seen a hardening of that since the extension from 3 to 5 years.

Do you have a full Toyota service history or do you arrange servicing elsewhere and only pop to a Toyota dealer for warranty work? If so, then that might explain it. I've always found that if you stick to a full dealer service history, that they'll be much more flexible with borderline warranty issues/dates.

And main dealers aren't always more expensive as some 'may' price match or at least offer some discounts if pushed, and also ensure software updates are carried out. The Prius is a computer with a car attached and really does benefit from main dealer servicing.

You also now get the benefit of the Hybrid Health Check included in a service offering upto 10 years/unlimited mileage HV Battery warranty extended in 10k miles/12 month intervals. (this added for others benefit if you do use Toyota dealers).

I think the magic words "fit for purpose" should be brought up. Is it reasonable for such a component to fail after so short a time?

Being pedantic, as the wheel nuts are presumably still keeping the wheels attached to the car, they are fit for purpose.

I don't think in of all the cars I've ever owned that any of them had rusty wheel nuts....... not even the real dogs I've bought for £50 for parts. lol.

As long as they still do what they are intended to then I can't see them being changed under warranty, it'd be like asking for a new exhaust because of rust alone.

Trawl the scrapyards...... I was gonna say look for as Avensis to rob the nuts off but when do you ever see an Avensis in the scrappies..... or try eBay....... or get out the sandpaper and Halfords silver paint lol

The OP's dealer is correct Toyota do not cover certain components ( wheels nuts being one ) for cosmetic issues beyond the date of first registration. The bolts would be covered for a functional failure/Manufacturing defect but not a cosmetic issue, if dealers have been replacing them then that is a individual dealer policy as Toyota would not have paid the dealer, if you do have full TOYOTA service history Customer relations may agree to replace the rusty nuts so it may be worth contacting them.

• Like 1

4 sets of Ripspeed locking wheel nuts from Halfrauds @ £19.99 per set. Super secure wheels, simples...

4 sets of Ripspeed locking wheel nuts from Halfrauds @ £19.99 per set. Super secure wheels, simples...

..... less your 15% Halfords discount if you're a TOC Premium Member (£16.99 per set).

• Like 1

Toyota were always no quibble with warranty claims, though I've seen a hardening of that since the extension from 3 to 5 years.

Do you have a full Toyota service history or do you arrange servicing elsewhere and only pop to a Toyota dealer for warranty work? If so, then that might explain it. I've always found that if you stick to a full dealer service history, that they'll be much more flexible with borderline warranty issues/dates.

And main dealers aren't always more expensive as some 'may' price match or at least offer some discounts if pushed, and also ensure software updates are carried out. The Prius is a computer with a car attached and really does benefit from main dealer servicing.

You also now get the benefit of the Hybrid Health Check included in a service offering upto 10 years/unlimited mileage HV battery warranty extended in 10k miles/12 month intervals. (this added for others benefit if you do use Toyota dealers).

I bought the car at 10 months old. (Saved me about £8K on a brand new one.) It's an ex-Toyota owned vehicle, and it's had all servicing done at the same Toyota UK dealer. They have menu pricing. My full service was £216 all in, which isn't bad in my opinion - especially for London. They are doing the annual HV Battery checks, and so the warranty is being extended as you suggest. Removes the worry of a ~£1400 outlay for a replacement!

I agree that the 27ish computers which are hooked together in the shape of a car needs main dealer attention, not an independent garage.

The OP's dealer is correct Toyota do not cover certain components ( wheels nuts being one ) for cosmetic issues beyond the date of first registration. The bolts would be covered for a functional failure/Manufacturing defect but not a cosmetic issue, if dealers have been replacing them then that is a individual dealer policy as Toyota would not have paid the dealer, if you do have full TOYOTA service history Customer relations may agree to replace the rusty nuts so it may be worth contacting them.

Thanks fro the response. Yep - awaiting response from CS.

Being pedantic, as the wheel nuts are presumably still keeping the wheels attached to the car, they are fit for purpose.

They are indeed. However, the wheels on my last car - a Subaru - were fit for purpose, but when one of them suffered creep corrosion under the paint when only 15 months old, the wheel was replaced under warranty with no argument at all. I guess it depends on individual manufacturers.

They are indeed. However, the wheels on my last car - a Subaru - were fit for purpose, but when one of them suffered creep corrosion under the paint when only 15 months old, the wheel was replaced under warranty with no argument at all. I guess it depends on individual manufacturers.

.... and at only 15 months old would also have been replaced by Toyota, as it is within the three years I mentioned earlier.

Having some limitations within warranties is common amongst manufacturers - for example Ford only cover door seals for 12 months, VAG only cover shock absorbers, floor coverings and seat coverings for six months, etc.

• Like 1

Manufacturers often try and put limitations in the warrantees that would not stand up to a courts scrutiny. The unfair clauses act covers most of it but it doesn't stop companies trying it on by saying "look what it says in the contract".

An unfair clauses act doesn't exist - a variety of legislation is in place covering the consumer and Acts are often used in conjunction with one another - eg. the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, the Consumer Protection Act 1987, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999, the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, and, in the case of hire purchase, the Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act 1973.

Could be that the OP's car wasn't the only one affected, i.e perhaps Toyota may have already acknowledged that a bad batch were produced.

I bought a brand new Corolla in 2001, when I p/xd it three years later it was on its' 3rd set of alloys due to corrosion problems. No quibble from Toyota at all, Mr. Workshop Supervisor told me they'd had 'production problems' with a particular batch of wheels.

At the end of the day a customer bought the Anniversary model for about £25,000 and yet they expected to accept rusty wheel nuts after just over 3 years? Come on Toyota! Maybe on a £7k base model Aygo, but not on a range topping limited edition car!

If Toyota can't support a customer paying £25k for car over a set of wheel nuts, then that speaks volumes.

And if Toyota UK can't afford a 5 year warranty, then they should stop pretending and go back to offering 3 years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links