Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio / Cd Fault

Around two weeks ago whilst driving there was an audible pop from the dashboard and the radio/cd player stopped working.

i first checked the relevent fuses but knew they wete not at fault as other buddied electrical items were working and no other electrical faults have been experienced.

The radio is used most days for about 15mins and bluetooth used infrequently.

i took it to locsl dealer and was charged £75 to be told radio not working. What a suprise!!! Tell me sumit i dont know. I was then quoted over 500 pound foe an exchange unit. I wont tell u what new unit was.

anyhow i was pointed at a local car audqio repairer who offered to give me a free quote. Well it transpired that the repairer did power up radio (out on bench) and it works.

So its not radio at fault. I collect radio tomorrow and will reinstall but plugging in one connector at a time after first connecting the 12v supply

So what could it be? Is it likely to be an anciary item in audio system like the bluetooth unit? Or is there a separate power amp module?

By the way radio is pretty straight forward to remove carefully pulling the facia surround forward giving access to 4 retaining screws.

any thoughts from Forum?

Cheers

iam

Ps. When the ignition is switched on there is pop from Speakers. Also the radio lcd display is illuminated but no channel display etc. I only noticed this at night when car was parked with ignition off.

Ian

Sounds like the integral amplifier has failed. When the unit was bench tested did that include listening to the units output or just powering the unit up?

Toyota's extended warranty recommend a company called Autosound they often require a diagnostic/quote from Autosound before they agree to repair/replace under extended warranty.

http://www.autosound.co.uk

Mystery - but it's working. Well I took the radio/cd unit out of vehicle and took to MAPLE audio in Bath. A week later I was contacted by them and said the radio was working! So I collected it and reinstalled the radio. Everything plugged in and hey presto it was working, but then I noted that the clock and interior lights were not. Checking Fuse #19 (15A) it had blown. According to manual audio system was on same fuse but radio was working. Fuse replaced and now all back to normal.

Maple did say that they had in same week a another similar unit with similar fault circumstances.

What it was I shall never know.

Moral - 1)if you can check as much as you can do it - including removing radio and reinstalling it then checking all rear connectors are inserted properly - oh and double check the fuses.

2) your local Toyota franchise/dealership will not have the experience to check if the radio/cd is at fault itself.

3) if I had gone down there road I would have been £500 + out of pocket.

Fair play to Maple they did not charge for checking radio out !!

Lee thanks for the post but as my last post indicates the unit functions.

I did not lose the voice dialling names I only had to reprogamme the radio channels

Cheers

Ian

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I've got a 2009 Urban Cruiser with a rattle behind the radio, I just wonderedif anyone knows how you get the radio out.

Jonbon.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info on this thread.

I had exactly the same symptoms, ie: a pop from the radio and then the radio had stopped working.

Checked the fuse, that was OK.

Then I removed/disconnected the radio. 

When I reconnected the radio every thing was working again, just needed a re-tune and set up the phone bluetooth connection.