Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Windscreen With Toyota Insurance

t-spiritpete

Hello again after a forum break,

I have my car insured with Toyota,

has anyone any comments to make on having a windscreen replaced on an Avensis T25 T-spirit 2007, I think I would prefer a genuine Toyota screen supplied by my local dealership rather than some glass company and yes I realise that a glass company will/may come to the dealership to fit it. I just seem to remember sometime ago a couple of members may have had problems with glass companies supplying screens that did not fit correctly OR had problems with the electronic bits and pieces mounted on the screen.

Thanks in advance,

Pete.

Hi Pete.

This is a hard one to call.

As windscreens are laminated i have heard stories of 'double vision' on non OE equipment as well as various electrical equipment not working properly. I suggest you get a quote for a genuine Toyota one or the one that will be a copy by Auto Windscreens or whoever, it's all down to how much you value keeping the car in tip top condition or are ok with something that just might be 2nd best.

Incidentally i would like to read you final decision and if you are happy with the final product if you go for a non original screen.

'Copy' windscreen companies give a large discount to the insurance firms so the price between the two could be quite significant.

Regards Mike.

Thanks everyone,

I have been authorised by the very nice people at Toyota insurance to have my windscreen replaced at a Toyota dealership and that makes me a lot happier and Mike ...... I don't do second best lol.

Regards Pete :thumbsup:

Well since one of the headline points with Toyota Insurance is that they do everything with Genuine Toyota parts and techs, I should hope they'd use actual Toyota glass too!

Hi Pete.

From things i know in the car trade please do not assume that if your car goes to a main dealer then it will get a genuine Toyota piece of glass.

Like you on many issuses i will not settle for 2nd best but i know from personal experience that a dealer may go for the 2nd option as it is cheaper and possibly greater profit for them or it may be they have their hands tied by your insurance company and have to go along the route of having to fit what your insurance company tells them to fit due to the greater discounts your insurance company may receive. It maybe adviseable for you to check on which piece of glass has been ordered for your cherished vehicle.

Regards Mike.

I have had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass twice on my 2005 Avensis T Spirit. On both occasions to replacement was of OEM quality - no sign of any problems and rain drop sensor works fine.

welcome back Pete!

I have just had to have mine re done by autoglass due to a leak, this time round it was at home with me watching & having a chit chat with the fitter.

I am confident this time round it was a better job,

he did tell me that you cannot beat the genuine screen.

I didn't realise but at the bottom of the windows it shows the make of the window maker. (just under where the tax discs used to go)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/166883-toyota-avensis-t25-water-leak-in-passenger-side-footwell/

Thanks again everyone,

now I'm armed with all the good advice from you guys I wiil go forward with it but it will have to wait until next week as I have just come out of hospital after having under gone a spinal disc removal and fusion done to my lower neck so I won't drive for a few days ...... but worst of all No Cycling for at least 6 weeks :angry:

Regards, Pete. :thumbsup:

The one Autoglass fitted to mine is branded Shatterprufe - http://www.bestofbelron.com/sponsors/shatterprufe

A long while back I was told by a fitter to always go to a depot for fitting rather than using a mobile fitter. They work where it is warm, clean and dry and have all the right tools to hand. Work is not rushed as they have several cars in at once so they can work on the next while the curing agents get to work.

The one Autoglass fitted to mine is branded Shatterprufe - http://www.bestofbelron.com/sponsors/shatterprufe

A long while back I was told by a fitter to always go to a depot for fitting rather than using a mobile fitter. They work where it is warm, clean and dry and have all the right tools to hand. Work is not rushed as they have several cars in at once so they can work on the next while the curing agents get to work.

I disagree it all depends on the work of the fitter, the one leaking was the one fitted in the garage. the work outside my house was not rushed and I could see what he was doing, whereas the one in garage was behind closed doors.

Shatterprufe are owned by the PG Group - a South African group: http://www.pggroup.co.za

The Belron website gives the impression they are linked to Pilkingtons - which they're not. Pilkingtons are owned by the Japanese NSG Group: http://www.nsg.com/en