Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Rust Proofing Method

oldcodger

The front wishbones and rear beam are looking rather sad with lots of flaking paint and heavy rust; however the base metal is solid ( withstands a good hammer blow).

Had sprayed them with a can of underseal last year but it only last a few months before peeling off.

Intend to give them a good clean up , removing all loose material, but wonder what is the best way to then treat the smoothish but still rusty surface ?

Seems like Hammerite is the simplest one or rwo coat solution but wondered if there was any better products these days ?

old fashioned Waxol,or Carcare do a copy,

use a still bristle nylon brush to get rid of the worse debris,while you are doing that,have the Waxol can standing in a sink of very hot water,the higher the ambiant temp is the better,then using a dish and a 2" cheepo paint brush,

get underneath and apply all over any place that needs it,

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/product/7653897/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK%7CShopping-_-Google+PLA-_-Hammerite%7CGalvanising+Paints+%26+Sprays-_-7653897&kpid=&kpid=7653897&istCompanyId=f7e7b05b-2daf-4c0e-8825-3633baf8113b&istItemId=xitmqiwxt&istBid=tztx&gclid=CKjPwL37m8UCFcoJwwod5E4A7A

the above will give you product details,and factor should stock it,it can be thinned with white spirit

Hi Oldcodger.

After reading your post my first thought was Hammerite but after reading Waynes comment i decided to Google Rust Bullet as i have never heard of it. Ends up there's a 10 minute You Tube video about it, link below,

It's worth watching and yes it seems a far better product than Hammerite.

Regards Mike.

Cheers Mike, I didn't know that video existed!

Its expensive stuff but worth every penny.

B)

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, a few options to look at.

John - always thought Waxoyl was intended for inside panels and box sections, rather than highly exposed areas like the front wishbones.

Is it really strong enough for most other underside areas ?

See from a lot of feedback on Halfords sites that the aerosol cans should be avoided, seems they hardly spray out anything, even when heated in warm water, lots of returns.

Kendo & Mike - Red Bullet, yes it sounds good, but its a mail order only item and its so very expensive at £18.00 delivered for just 118ml compared to £17.99 for 750ml of Hammerite, thats over 6 times more !!

To be honest it would almost be cheaper to buy new wishbones than clean and paint then with Red Bullet when you add the cost of the wire brushes and the time to do it all.

Hi All,

John - always thought Waxoyl was intended for inside panels and box sections, rather than highly exposed areas like the front wishbones.

See from a lot of feedback on Halfords sites that the aerosol cans should be avoided, seems they hardly spray out anything, even when heated in warm water, lots of returns.

Kendo & Mike - Red Bullet, yes it sounds good, but its a mail order only item and its so very expensive at £18.00 delivered for just 118ml compared to £17.99 for 750ml of Hammerite, thats over 6 times more !!

To be honest it would almost be cheaper to buy new wishbones than clean and paint then with Red Bullet when you add the cost of the wire brushes and the time to do it all.

I have all my practical experience using Waxoyl,

it is designed to be flexible,semi-healing ,and reputed to displace moisture,this I have found in the 30 odd years I have used it,

just use a stiff nylon brush the remove dirt,not totally down to bare metal,and brush on,force into crevases using the brush,

it will semi-set and protect the tin ware,

Hi All,

I have all my practical experience using Waxoyl,

it is designed to be flexible,semi-healing ,and reputed to displace moisture,this I have found in the 30 odd years I have used it,

just use a stiff nylon brush the remove dirt,not totally down to bare metal,and brush on,force into crevases using the brush,

it will semi-set and protect the tin ware,

Thanks John, this afternoon bought a 1 ltr can of clear Waxoyl and a tin of Hammerite Smooth so will be interesting to see how they both hold up over time.

Also got some wire cups for the angle grinder which should make short work of cleaning up the wishbones ready fo treatment; tried the bolts earlier and they moved ok, easier to drop them off than struggle in situ.

with Waxol the wire brushes to clean the items are to extreme,just remove built up dirt,and apply,it NOT a paint,rather a slightly

tacky surface that protects from small stones and resists corrosion,

Hammerite,made by the same company is a hard gloss coloured paint,that requires a clean surface as paint would,

if you want a gloss shiny finish ,Hammerrite is ideal,but more work in preperation,

If you just want durable rust proofing,like under sills,under wheel arches,Waxoyl is perfect,after a few months,it

takes on the colour of dirt !!!not ideal for show vehicles!!

Hi John,

Been using the WaxOyl this morning but soon found that there is no mention on the can or Hammerites site if its rubber safe, things like rubber brake pipes and supsension rubber bushes and covers.

Have emailed Hammerite but no reply as yet, though they say 5-7 days for a reply !

Felt sure with your usage of it, you would know for sure if its rubber safe by now ,though appreciate on some plastics it could be a different thing.

Thanks.

I have used Waxoyl on brake pipe connections,were the flex pipe connects to the metal pipes,

had no issues,also rubber suspension bushes,again no issues,the advantage being it never sets solid,remains flexible in

use,I first used it about 1976,on a Fiat 124ST ,and it stopped the rust on that !!!

I have very little experience with Hammerite smooth paint,so cannot comment,

I have used Waxoyl on brake pipe connections,were the flex pipe connects to the metal pipes,

had no issues,also rubber suspension bushes,again no issues,the advantage being it never sets solid,remains flexible in

use,I first used it about 1976,on a Fiat 124ST ,and it stopped the rust on that !!!

I have very little experience with Hammerite smooth paint,so cannot comment,

Thanks again John, appreciated.

Edit 30mins later, just going out when this came in.

Think I will play safe and wipe any excess off the rubber parts just in case.

Thank you for your email.

We would not recommend using Waxoyl on rubber parts, and any contact should be avoided.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help.

Customer Advisor

AkzoNobel Advice Centre

AkzoNobel

Hi All,

Hi Oldcodger.

I've gotta agree with you on this point. I can remember years ago people used to have their door sills drilled, internally filled with Waxoil and then a plug fitted onto the whole and it used to be a selling point that the car had it's internal and can't be seen metal work coated in the product so that it will hold back the rust for years to come. I do not see it as an external product as i believe the elements will simply wash it off at some point and make the wishbones harder to paint with whatever in the future because of the residue left in the corners.

Regards Mike.

Cheers Mike, I didn't know that video existed!

Its expensive stuff but worth every penny.

B)

Hi Wayne, thanks for your comment. The video i just found on You Tube of course and yes it does appear to be very good stuff regardless of the price as once you have done the job in question i doubt if you will ever have to do it again.

Regards Mike.

• 2 months later...

If you use Hammerite and want to give it a second coat, do it within 24 hrs, otherwise it will run.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links