Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Faulty But Not With A Turbo Tester

Adam2050

So the turbo was taken off my 2008 Rav 4 2.2 Diesel.

The play in the turbo was well over the tolerance in the Toyota manual according to the mechanic it also had oil in the housing, so the warranty company asked for it to be sent off to an independent tester, the tester has come back and said its within limits, now obviously the warranty report will reflect this, but obviously the turbo is still faulty.

Where do I stand, who should I peruse, as there's no reason I should be paying for this, nor should they refit a faulty turbo to my Rav 4?

A difficult one, if the Turbo is within specifications then no fault can proved and there is no obligation on the warranty department to pay out as an independent third party has confirmed no fault.

What does the Toyota garage say is out of specification and what is the specification and what was measured by the third party?

If the Toyota garage and third party measurements are outside of Toyota's specification then an argument could be had that the opinion of the third party is based on incorrect information and the Turbo should be fixed, if this can't be proved however then don't expect any payout.

A difficult one, if the Turbo is within specifications then no fault can proved and there is no obligation on the warranty department to pay out as an independent third party has confirmed no fault.

What does the Toyota garage say is out of specification and what is the specification and what was measured by the third party?

If the Toyota garage and third party measurements are outside of Toyota's specification then an argument could be had that the opinion of the third party is based on incorrect information and the Turbo should be fixed, if this can't be proved however then don't expect any payout.

There was play in the turbo veins, if that make sense. Which is outside the guide within Toyota's testing.

There was play in the turbo veins, if that make sense. Which is outside the guide within Toyota's testing.

If the Toyota dealer can clearly demonstrate that the free play in the Turbo is outside of the allowance specified by Toyota then there should be no issues regardless of the opinion of the third party

If the Toyota dealer can clearly demonstrate that the free play in the Turbo is outside of the allowance specified by Toyota then there should be no issues regardless of the opinion of the third party

They didn't seem so confident about, but there's no way in your opinion they should be fitting it and charging me for the pleasure?

Talking to the Toyota mechanic again, they fitted it to a test rig without pressure and couldn't see any fault, verbally he said to the Toyota mechanic that there was play, he's unsure this is in the report as there waiting for it to return to them and to make sure the report stats the play even though the independent tester thinks the turbos fit for use. So the mechanic is trying to get evidence in that way, he said they stripped the turbo down also for testing. The warranty company did this with the dual mass fly wheel on it, and tried to get out of that by stating it was 'wear and tear' but eventually conceded that it wasn't. I've told them I'd be pushing the issue for me not to pay for the issue regardless, it's faulty and also tried to avoid them fitting it back, but they already said they would test it which seems pointless.

There was noise from the bearing when cold (like a whistle: see video here exactly like that, acted like a dump valve and occasionally smoked) and noise even when warm, like a scrapping from the bearing. The play was apparent when they stripped, along with oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent a guy out to inspect, but the Toyota mechanic still reckons they will refuse it.

How do I approach this now as the bill will be pushed my way and still left with a faulty turbo. Fuming.

You could send it for your own independent test, but it would be at your cost

Does the Centre Principle know of your plight? Have you discussed the situation at senior manager level in the dealership?

It all boils down to who the warranty company believe. It is all well and good the technician giving his opinion it is faulty, but the warranty have sent it away to an independent company for their inspection and it has come back as OK. If you feel they are wrong, then you need to set up a dialogue with the warranty company to see what can be done.

You could send it for your own independent test, but it would be at your cost

Does the Centre Principle know of your plight? Have you discussed the situation at senior manager level in the dealership?

The warranty company requested it be sent off to an independent tester, who deemed it within the parameters of the turbo (play)

The turbo is outside 'parameters' set by Toyotoa (handbook)

They sent someone out and it's fitted back on the car and still making noise but operating (it's a failing part)

I haven't talked to management but I will do if needed. There's no way I should be paying the money asked to refit a faulty part, when I've already had the dual mass fly wheel and clutch replaced under warranty again on the same car within 6 months of the warranty. I've never had so many problems with any car in such a short period of time and not something I would expect of a highly rated Toyota car.

There is also another issue that will have to be address on the car (believe it's a faulty sensor on one of the wheels) that hasn't even been tackled yet as the Dealer is going for one at a time, so three major faults on a car I've had to drive around less then 3 months (as the dealer has had it for longer then the time I've had it fighting it out with the warranty company).

Family members have suggested getting the dealership to refund me though I'm unsure if I have any legal grounds to try and get one.

The car is from Linops in Wrexham, any thoughts on my chances with management there?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Speak to the sales manager, Fraser Davies and ask for an appointment to see him and explain your issues you are having

Feeling very disappointed with my whole experience from Lindops, basically the manager came back and it's unlikely they are going to shift on the bill left to me.

Looks like the parts/service manager been left looking very unhelpful when the dealership is unwilling to see the bigger picture and respect a customer, at first the manager thought I was being funny with them, but understood that I was just feeling hard done by when you spend the sort of money asked for the car and basically the warranty company don't cover the 'service manual', but basically try and appease the situation (Paying half). Car's faulty regardless of whether it's a little bit or a lot. Still leaving me out of pocket on a car I've hardly used (now had a courtesy car more then my own car). I understood my mechanic had exhausted the avenues they are given, but can't keep thinking buying another car from Toyota would not be a great idea, when I have a Honda dealership so close by, which is a shame because I'm a fine of Toyotoa.

Anyone know if there's any point of me approaching citizens advice or trading standards? (basically asking what my best path is or whether I'm going to have to write letters to certain people to try and get my money back in some way shape or form?) Currently I haven't had my car back so haven't paid anything yet.

• 1 month later...

Sorry forgot to update this, after many comings and goings with Toyota Dealership they agreed to foot the remainder on the bill. I was very thankful to say the least and will defo be returning if customer service remains priority.