Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Problem With Indicator Stalk ?

meloned

when the wife indicates left it takes a fair bit of turning before turning it off? I have seen the indicators on eBay at a reasonable price but I have searched every where to find out how to replace one ? Would anyone have any clues of how to replace it cheers for any help . Toyota t25 2007 1.8

If the indicator system is anything like my mk1, the indicator cancel is controlled by a cam or notch on the steering column itself. Changing the switch may not make a difference if the notch is worn or the steering is slightly off centre to the right.

Off centre means the steer wheel is slightly over to the right so when turning left, it needs to have a lot of lock to the left to cancel. Re-aligning the steering (via tracking) may solve this.

post-76861-0-36965700-1430383798_thumb.j

The photo shows the indicator stalk and the white switch is the indicator cancel. This is knocked by the notch on the steering column to return the stalk back to it's normal position. If you remove your indicator stalk, you can test the operation of the return mechanism by knocking this switch whilst the stalk is in left or right position.

Make sure the cancel switch is not worn. The shape should be the same both sides. If say the lower side looks more worn than the upper side, or visa versa, then replace the stalk mechanism.

If the return works then the fault must be on the steering column notch or cam, and I don't know the fix for that!

My indicators has a slight right bias where the left needs a touch more lock to self cancel.

I will see if I can find a solution to adjusting the self cancel.

• Like 2

this attachment may help (page 4)

Many thanks looks okay to get at will try to make sure that it is the switch before hand though

If the indicator system is anything like my mk1, the indicator cancel is controlled by a cam or notch on the steering column itself. Changing the switch may not make a difference if the notch is worn or the steering is slightly off centre to the right.

Off centre means the steer wheel is slightly over to the right so when turning left, it needs to have a lot of lock to the left to cancel. Re-aligning the steering (via tracking) may solve this.

attachicon.gifIMG_5026.jpg

The photo shows the indicator stalk and the white switch is the indicator cancel. This is knocked by the notch on the steering column to return the stalk back to it's normal position. If you remove your indicator stalk, you can test the operation of the return mechanism by knocking this switch whilst the stalk is in left or right position.

Make sure the cancel switch is not worn. The shape should be the same both sides. If say the lower side looks more worn than the upper side, or visa versa, then replace the stalk mechanism.

If the return works then the fault must be on the steering column notch or cam, and I don't know the fix for that!

My indicators has a slight right bias where the left needs a touch more lock to self cancel.

I will see if I can find a solution to adjusting the self cancel.

Will take your advice had the tracking done a few months ago and the steering wheel is central so will check again cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links