Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T27 Owner Questions (About Niggles)

jonny123456

I've had my avensis since last July, and am about to book it in for it's first service. There are a few very minor niggles, and I'm wondering whether they are normal T27 'features', common faults, and/or things to get looked at under warranty.

It's a T4 Petrol Tourer with auto transmission if that makes a difference.

1) Creaking/scraping fan transition: When the fan goes from 'windsreen & legs mode' to 'blow in face mode' there is a plastic-scraping noise made from behind the dashboard during the transition (a few seconds after pressing the button). Similarly moving from 'blow in face' mode to 'legs only'* mode makes the same noise. Is this normal?

* note the technical terms in use

2) Stiff tailgate: Should the tourer tailgate drop shut when you let go of it close to it being closed. Mine seems stiffer (than at least with previous cars) and often creaks. E.g. if I try to close it with the handles under the tailgate, when I get to the point where I have to move my hand out of the way of the closing boot and let go, the tailgate stays in the same poistion. I then always need to click it shut from the outside. With other cars gravity has always done most of the work!

3) Blocked washer nozzle: Is this covered by warranty?

4) Before I make myself look a fool, am I right in saying the copper/wire on the rear side boot window (tourer) is an aerial, and not a broken window defogger?

Having never had a car under manufacturer's warranty before I'm unsure if these are typical things to get looked at (before it runs out) or not.

Edited by jonny123456

1. I would say this isn't normal, and would report it to the dealer when booking the service.

2. Makes me wonder whether there is a problem with one or both of the tailgate struts - for example on my 2012 Auris, the tailgate wasn't lifting to its full height, and the dealer replaced both struts under warranty. Again report it when you book the service.

3. Not sure whether this would be covered as it may not be a manufacturing fault and conceivably may be something to do with whatever washer fluid has been used in the past (not necessarily during your ownership) - again I'd report it, and if its chargeable, a new pair of washer jets shouldn't be much.

4. Is this the rear side window of the boot area? Probably would be an aerial.

Thanks for the response. It looks like I'll need to give them a list when I book it in. Crikey!

And sorry yes, I meant to say rear side boot window (now edited in original post to clarify).

1. I am told that this is normal.

2. there is a balance point but if I get it to ~6" from closing gravity will drop it & latch it. I do get the odd creak, it varies which side but I think that it is the struts..

3. not had that problem & don't think that it is common

4. never noticed that before (but then the window is quite a dark tint). I presume that it is an aerial rather than a demist as you can't actually see that window from the driver's seat..

• Like 1

Again thanks.

The boot definitely wont latch (due to gravity) if letting go so I'll mention it when I book in too.

1. Have never had that problem.

2. My tail gate closes easily but not completely if it's dropped only a few inches away from the catch.

3. Unlikely to be covered by warranty but worth mentioning as they may do it FOC.

4. Definitely not a de mister. I did read about this some time ago and I believe it may be to do with bluetooth but can't be 100% sure.

There are always exceptions to the rule but it would seem most Toyota dealerships are very helpful and give good service. Certainly, to date, I have found my local dealer very good, not that it will help you being so far away.

It turns out the boot does latch if let go from 6".

What I've realised is I physically can't shut it using the underneath handles. I always have to resort to a final push on the numberplate (first world problems - I know!).

I'll mention it all anyway, and see what they say :)