Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 Front Mount Intercooler

Marec Kopec

Hi, just wondering if anyone has fitted a front mount on their sr180? I have ordered an intercooler and will be trial fitting it at some point in the next few weeks to see what pipework is needed.

Cheers!

Not seen it so far on here have thought about doing it but not sure if worth it

Ill keep you updated on how it goes do you have any idea where the standard one is? I've got a feeling its behind the radiator but im not too sure

I'm pretty sure it's in front of the radiator

Well if you take the bumper off there are two things that look like a radiator one in front of the other it would be insane to put the rad in front of the intercooler

In my 1.4 D4D the intercooler is on the right side of the radiator. I think it's on the same place in other diesel models too.

The intercooler on the 2.0 d4d is between the air conditioning condenser (if you have it) and the radiator.

Cheers for all the information guys, once intercooler arrives and I get a spare evening I will take off the bumper and see what ive got to work with, I'll take pics as I go and keep this thread updated

Here is how far I have got so far tonight, im just waiting for the drill to charge to bolt in the intercooler. The standard one sits between the air con radiator and radiator. Once removed all that looks to be required for plumbing it in will be 2 straight pipes probably around 30cm im just mounting it for now whilst I wait for the pipes to arrive. Will put more photos up when all back together again!

post-118696-0-94075400-1431019274_thumb.

post-118696-0-04687500-1431019597_thumb.

Put it back together now not sure if I like the way its sitting plus ive got to tidy up where I have cut the bumper but this is the way it is sitting now

post-118696-0-18296300-1431024464_thumb.

Is it sitting slightly cock eyed

I think slightly yes, im not sure if I can live with it ***** eyed ha ill have to adjust it when im plumbing it in

Looks gd tho I would paint it black for more stealth

Where did you get the intercooler from? Plus what size is it and how much? I have wanted to do this for ages but cos of the positioning of the stock intercooler I was unsure how to plumb it all in. How have you done it?

I bought mine used off eBay 60 quid posted but these are the measurements lenth550mm height140mm width65mm length with pipes fitted around 89cm. Piping goes to the standard intercooler at around the same position as where they are needed for the front mount so all you'll need is a couple of straight pipes to connect up aswell as the 90 degree pipes that come off the intercooler. All being well my pipes should come today and ill plumb it all in ill keep you all posted how I get on

I dont think you could go much bigger without having to start cutting more than the bumper

I dont think you could go much bigger without having to start cutting more than the bumper

Hi,

Interesting!

Couple of questions if i may - was the orginal intercooler side mounted and appox what are the dimensions.\

Is the piping mainly hard (e.g. aluminium) or soft (e.g. silicone) and what's the diameter.

What type of piping are you replacing it with in terms of hard/ soft and diameter etc.

Best wishes

No original intercooler is mounted between radiator and air con radiator. The standard piping looks like standard black hosing, I have not removed standard intercooler yet as I am waiting for the pipework to come, I got a used pipe kit off a s14 thats 2.5 inch but I also have 2.5 to 2 inch reducer pipes I will let you know when I know more as I'm just really tackling it as I do it but don't really want to be taking it to bits without having the parts as it is a daily car

Would it have possible to move the air con radiator back to where the intercooler is and then put the intercooler in its slot

Plumbed it in today but as soon as the boost builds up it pops a pipe off, im going to order some pipes with a lip on to replace what ive got but here are the pics. I dont think it'd be possible to swap the air con and intercooler without a lot of ****** about

post-118696-0-04403300-1431119614_thumb.

post-118696-0-41051500-1431119712_thumb.

post-118696-0-52777800-1431119833_thumb.

post-118696-0-36810000-1431119909_thumb.

Pipes are finally here, will fit them this afternoon!

Finished this off now, the parts you need if you want to do it are:

Intercooler (measurements in this post)

2 x 90 degree pipes to go from the outlet of intercooler to feed back to the car)

2 x 30cm pipes 2 inch diameter (bevelled at end)

Nuts and bolts and some brackets

Car seems to spool quicker but I have only took it down the road and Back.

Hi Marec, I'm not a fan of turbodiesels, all this using energy to drive a turbo to compress air which heats up then having to cool said air down to restore mass flow into the engine seems kind of circular logic to me but hey, to each his own.

You've done a great job fitting all that lot but I just wonder about a couple of things. Do you get any wind buffet noise from the front after cutting the bumper and don't the metal outlets from the intercooler and joint pieces have any swaged lip on them to stop hoses from blowing off?

Hi Tom, Yeah they do thats what I meant when I said bevelled, couldnt think of the word! The car seems just as quiet as before. Just been out in it taking wife to work and it just pulls a lot nicer. Cheers