Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Of Europe

@colin__walker

I'll probably wait until a couple of weeks before my voucher is about to run out in 2017 before I make use of it anyway...

It's a similar story with the original Touch & Go (+). The last update is euh20131022 - i.e. dated is 23rd October 2013. This appeared in parts of Europe in February 2014 but not in the UK until around July 2014. Toyota UK claim that the additional delay was due to "additional testing" for the UK ... :ermm:

For a system that on + is meant to get 2 updates a year it is not good enough.

Good news, I've checked today and the 2015 update is now available.

... The last update is euh20131022 - i.e. dated is 23rd October 2013...

Good news, I've checked today and the 2015 update is now available.

That's interesting ... although my 3 years' free updates ended in March, it still says I can download it free - perhaps it's based on the date of the map.

Also, it seems to have shrunk, as in the description it says:

Version: EUH20150216
Size: 4,9 GB
My last download was 6½GB! Maybe it'll only be half an hour sitting in READY mode to do the update in the car instead of three quarters!
Nowhere does it indicate how much of each country is updated.
As before, it tells me I'm up to date in the main window of the toolbox, it's only if I try to 'buy' the free update it shows it's a newer version. Not impressive.
I might set it to download overnight sometime, partly to see how up to date it is and whether it has some recent new roads as my new TomTom does. I'll still mainly use the TomTom though because of it's excellent traffic data.

It is Saturday afternoon and the local Toyota dealer service dept is closed. My worst fears with regard to the latest map update have happened. I did everything by the Toyota instructions. The map downloaded and installed on the USB stick OK using the Toyota toolbox.

I went to the car started the engine inserted the USB stick and was asked "Do you want to update" then "confirm which I did. After that all I got was a message stating: IN SOFTWARE UPDATE MODE: PLEASE INSERT VALID UPDATE STICK". The PC had stated the download was successful so the USB stick I am using must be valid!!!

I rang the dealer but could only get sales. They said as far as they could tell I had done everything correctly. The SAT /Nav is now stuck in software update mode and all I get is the message outlined previously.

I can get no help till Monday when the dealer service dept opens.

Any advice would be very welcome.

You got further than I did!

Started the download last night, looked a couple of hours later and it had aborted with a message saying there was a problem with the Sweden map. On trying to restart the download, it said there was a problem with the fingerprint from the car (on the USB stick) and I should go to the car and create another one.

I've done that and now it's downloading again, fortunately carrying on from where it had got to, but that was only 7%.

In the light of your experience, I think I'll wait till Monday morning to try to load it into the car (assuming the download is successful this time) so that my dealer's open if I need them.

Good luck with yours.

I've just updated with the EUH20150216 took 20 minutes to download then 35 minutes to upload onto the T&G plus. No problems.

When I took another footprint as per the toolbox instructions and went back to the pc there was another map to download, 10 seconds then 20 seconds upload on the T&G.

I now have software version 2.1.5H and map version EUH20150216.

Chris, I'd suggest you try to download it again on the PC then try it.

I updated mine today as well. Took about 30 minutes to download and about an hour in the car. Glad mine's a PIP so the engine never started. Why do we have to upload all of Europe's maps. Surely it would have been better to let you choose which countries to install.

• Like 1

Why do we have to upload all of Europe's maps. Surely it would have been better to let you choose which countries to install.

Probably to make it simpler and prevent potential file corruptions / running issues etc.
  • Like 1

You guys must have faster internet than me - it's taking an age to download, and it stopped twice now.

Both times I had to go out to the car and redo the fingerprint before it would continue.

If Chris's wants the same, he may not be able to do the fingerprint because it's 'stuck'.

Downloaded yesterday and installed today without any issues on our Avensis. Have to say though, first thing I noticed was that it thought there was a 40 mph limit and speed camera on the M50 which isn't there any more (from road works, I suppose), so maybe not that up-to-date. D'oh!

It did have the latest speed limit data on local roads near my home, so that was handy. Otherwise, I was just relieved it didn't brick my T&G unit!

I updated mine today as well. Took about 30 minutes to download and about an hour in the car. Glad mine's a PIP so the engine never started. Why do we have to upload all of Europe's maps. Surely it would have been better to let you choose which countries to install.

The latest 4.4.1L on my Touch 2 unit allows just that Robin from this version onward. During the install process, you can specify a particular (smaller) region or even just a single country area (e.g. UK) but you still have to download the whole shebang anyway from the Toyota website. The only benefit I can see is that choosing just a country in the update process vastly reduces the upload footprint to the head unit required (shortening the update process) and hence uses a much smaller amount of the head unit's memory leaving room for other stuff like apps etc...

Yes Pete is correct. My SAT/NAV is stuck in software update mode. I cannot do another fingerprint as i cannot scroll down when selecting "Settings" "General". The SAT/NAV keeps flashing "INSERT VALID UPDATE STICK". I have checked on the internet and found two other occurances of this but no solutions.. What is annoying is the update USB stick must be valid to be accepted by the Toyota Toolbox and accept the download which took over an hour on fast broadband. It is very frustrating. Just hope the dealer will sort it free of charge. I printed off all the HELP procedures and followed them exactly.

You guys must have faster internet than me - it's taking an age to download, and it stopped twice now.

Both times I had to go out to the car and redo the fingerprint before it would continue.

If Chris's wants the same, he may not be able to do the fingerprint because it's 'stuck'.

you need fibre optic Pete.

True on the fingerprint, I hadn't thought of that.

I always wondered, with this fingerprint, if it is specific to the individual car or whether you could take one of another car which has the same software and map version ?

this would be about the only time I would benefit from faster Internet, but anyway, it's usually a case of just leaving it to do its thing.

This one's turning into a royal pain in the ...

I'm now on my fifth session of downloading and it's up to 38%

Each time I come back to it there's an error message saying the USB stick is unavailable. When it try to restart, it says the fingerprint is out of sync and sends me out to the car.

At least each time I restart, all the files so far downloaded are there and it carries on.

Well, update finally completed!

One more abort and trip to the car, then at 50% it said it was copying the files to the USB stick, so presumably it first copied them all to the hard drive. It took around 10 minutes to transfer everything, then back to the car...

Big sigh of relief! It loaded ok.

The download in the car actually took 47½ minutes. I started with 6 bars on the HV Battery gauge, and it ran the engine just once during that time (I turned off the climate control). Of course, my next journey will start with just 2 bars, so I'll pay for it during the first couple of miles.

In now reports EUH20150216 version: 2.11.5H

Disappointingly, the new stretch of A11 near Thetford that opened last November and appeared on TomTom maps from about February this year still wasn't on it - very poor show.

I therefore wasn't surprised that neither was a new bit of A12 near Corton - that only opened in the last couple of months. It IS on the online version of the TomTom maps however, so I'm fairly confident it will be on the next quarterly TomTom update due any day now.

• Like 1

Further to my problems: Contacted local dealer today told the technician what had happened to my T&G.

He stated my USB stick was not valid as it had not been purchased from Toyota spares. He stated all Toyota USB sticks are coded and are the only ones to be used. I told him that from all the information I had read this was not explaiined. I pointed out that I had got a finger print from the car prior to downloading the maps. He then asked his colleagues who confirmed what he had told me. ONLY AN APPROIVED TOYOTA STICK MUST BE USED. The car is booked in for Wed morning to rectify the problem. The Tech would not comment about doing it under warranty.

I wish I had never updated now.

I tried to contact Toyota UK by phone but only got a call centre who referred me back to the local dealer. There is a very expensive complaints line the call centre chap informed me!! Seems to me Toyota UK do not want to help the customers nowadays.

I would email them - that way you have a documented record of the 'conversation' too.

try Toyota Customer Relations - cr@toyota.co.uk

• Like 1

Further to my problems: Contacted local dealer today told the technician what had happened to my T&G.

He stated my USB stick was not valid as it had not been purchased from Toyota spares. He stated all Toyota USB sticks are coded and are the only ones to be used. I told him that from all the information I had read this was not explained. I pointed out that I had got a finger print from the car prior to downloading the maps. He then asked his colleagues who confirmed what he had told me. ONLY AN APPROVED TOYOTA STICK MUST BE USED. The car is booked in for Wed morning to rectify the problem. The Tech would not comment about doing it under warranty.

I wish I had never updated now.

I tried to contact Toyota UK by phone but only got a call centre who referred me back to the local dealer. There is a very expensive complaints line the call centre chap informed me!! Seems to me Toyota UK do not want to help the customers nowadays.

You should confront that dealer right away and challenge him on his assertion because it is NOT true!! Looks to me as if he is trying to keep his options open in regard to ripping you off! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN "APPROVED TOYOTA USB STICK"!!

I'm guessing that your dealer is a bit of a technical numpty and has probably translated this...

To do this, insert the fingerprint USB stick into your home PC or laptop with the Toolbox programme open. Accept the update, and then open the “Downloads” section of the Toolbox. Select the download (application or map update) that you require and once it is paid for (if payment is required) you can download the update to the USB stick from the “Updates” section of the Toolbox. (from Toyota's blog page)

...as meaning that a "fingerprint USB stick" is somehow a "special" stick because he fundamentally doesn't understand the technology himself...

• Like 3

All morning I have been perturbed by the answers I received this morning from the Tech at the local toyota centre. (I failed in any attempt to contact Toyota UK. The "HOT LINE" is a very expensive 0906 number.)

In desperation I have rang the local Toyota Tech chap back. He apologised and said he got it all wrong and on my Prius you can update the T & G yourself and you do not need a Toyota USB for the Task.. He cannot explain why it is stuck in "Software Update Mode" He also stated he cannot see there being any charge to sort the problem out. He also promised they will rectify the fault etc and realises why I am fed up with it all.

Perhaps he has found out I am a very good customer having purchased several vehicles from them. I am a little happier now as the information given to me earlier this morning conflicted with everything I read. Just hope they sort it out on Wednesday.

Well that's good news at least Chris! :clap:

You might want to point out to him that customer updating applies to ALL head units in all Toyota cars and not just Prius cars...

Which number are you using for Toyota GB? The one I have used is 01737 367600 and I have to say that I have always had excellent service from them? Very helpful and courteous at all times...

Thanks CPN: I am having a chat with the local Toyota Tech chap on Wednesday I will point out to him what you have stated.

I searched for a number to contact Toyota UK but never found the number you have given. Thanks for the number if things are not satisfactory on Wed. I may need it. !!

I found that since updating, my Touch & Go+ no longer shows SMS texts received - worked perfectly before. Even deleting the pairing and recreating it made no difference.

It used to be useful to have them read out by the system occasionally while stopped in traffic if the message was from the person I was travelling to see.

So far, after a painful update process, I've found no useful updates, and this really annoying negative!

I have a Touch and go plus and im currently downloading a 7.4gb update. Goodness knows what this includes but if its just map updates I won't be happy. It will probably take an hour or so to load too. Toyota are amazingly incompetent at technology for a Japanese Company.

• Like 2

...my Touch & Go+ no longer shows SMS texts received...

update - during a 250 mile round trip today, I found that new texts received whist the phone is paired to the car DO show up on the T&G+ and can be read aloud by the Nav Lady.

It's just all messages received whist not paired, and all sent messages do not appear on the T&G+ screens - disappointing, but I can live with that.

Also disappointing, I couldn't find a single improvement after the very painful download - anyone else noticed any changes?

I really thought the Elveden bypass on the A11 near Thetford that opened last year should have been on it - if TomTom can do it...