Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Top Hybrid Driving Tips

FROSTYBALLS

Hey they've got the correct use for B mode - at last :)

• Like 1

Not all toyota hybrids have power mode, and not all of them default to normal mode on start up.

And they don't all have the R-N-D-B joystick. Some have the more traditional P-R-N-D-B auto shift stick.

First tip should be "don't trust our MPG values they're just an advertisement" :) They say Yaris Hybrid has 86MPG but I'm getting 51 after the first three tanks. I know I'm never going to get 86MPG as the test is done indoors without AC etc, but would be nice to get around 63MPGs.

(Not sure if the MPGs are correct, I used a translator for those. I'm getting around 5,5 litres /100km, specs are 3,3 and I'm wishing for 4,5 or something)

First tip should be "don't trust our MPG values they're just an advertisement" :) They say Yaris Hybrid has 86MPG but I'm getting 51 after the first three tanks. I know I'm never going to get 86MPG as the test is done indoors without AC etc, but would be nice to get around 63MPGs.

(Not sure if the MPGs are correct, I used a translator for those. I'm getting around 5,5 litres /100km, specs are 3,3 and I'm wishing for 4,5 or something)

In some cases on some models Yes, on the other hand though the Prius does tend to meet and beat its MPG figures though apparently in real world use.

I've also heard that Auris Hybrid performs a lot better compared to advertised MPGs. Wonder why that is. Spritmonitor.de had something like 5l/100km avg for Yaris Hybrid 2014-15

First tip should be "don't trust our MPG values they're just an advertisement"

Which MPG values?

The ones quoted in the adverts or the ones on the dash?

Generally, everybody knows about advertised MPGs, but, as has been said, some Toyota hybrids do get very close to the advertised MPGs and even exceed them.

Have a look on fuelly.com

It does depend a lot on driving style etc. but they can be done by your average driver.

There are threads on various forums about the accuracy of MPGs reported on the dash.

My gen3 prius reports about 3% above the calculated value (tank to tank).

• 2 weeks later...

Snap, but MFD currently shows 76.9 after 450 miles on this tank. Yippee!!!!!!

Nes tyres will soon reverse the trend to bellow 70

• 2 months later...

Got my Yaris HSD 7 days ago. And since day 2 I've been logging with Torque Pro and a OBD2 bluetooth adapter. That allows me to log traveled KM and liters of fuel with 8 decimals (!).

Before today I've been averaging at around 50MPG no matter what I was doing.. But this morning I though "what the heck" and did a pulse'n'glide and accelerate'n'"back to EV" to work, and also had Eco Mode engaged since I've seen some Auris HSD people that was claiming that it actually does something :)

Gave me 59MPG.. :) The question is if it's worth it. Because I'll have to stop using the cruise control in city in order to save what will be very little money.

But my feeling is that it is actually quite clever to encourage the car to go back to EV after acceleration, if the Battery is not already low on power.

My feeling is also that the Trip Fuel Used logged with OBD is actually quite accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found cruise control is great when it is not very hilly but otherwise it can be quite aggressive when maintaining speed uphill, whereas I would allow the speed to fluctuate slightly and use the terrain to save fuel (e.g. lose a bit of speed uphill then re-gain it in the descent, if possible). It can hit the fuel consumption quite significantly.

I found that if I do the initial acceleration with the needle at the top of the ECO band, then slightly (perhaps one tick mark) into the power band to get to 60 MPH makes quite a significant impact on consumption. If I go straight into the power band from a standing start, it seems to drink fuel.

I also found a few other things that seem to make a huge difference:

* If the target speed is 30 MPH, and it is relatively flat, then only go mid-point of the ECO band to remain in EV mode, otherwise deliberately use the engine to accelerate, then pulse the throttle to trigger EV mode once at speed

* If the target speed is 40 MPH, accelerate all the way in the upper part of the ECO band, then try pulsing (sometimes EV mode will engage, but it is generally hard to get EV mode at 40 MPH if going slightly uphill)

* If the target speed is 50 MPH or higher, accelerate at the top of the ECO band to about 40 MPH, increasing slightly into the power band if required at 40 MPH. Reading the road helps here; obviously climbing a hill demands more power

* If accelerating to 70 MPH, accelerate to 45 MPH at the top of the ECO band then put it to the second tick mark in the power band until reaching 70 MPH. You can start lifting off slightly passing 60 MPH. When I start hearing the engine really start to work is when I know I can lift off slightly.

I did 75 miles today using the above techniques, and achieved a computer-reported 64 MPG (mostly 50/60 MPH roads, with computer-reported average speed of 38 MPH).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Love my new Prius GX with Touring Package.   Sorting out the tech will keep me young.  I keep finding extras.   My trade in was a 2009 Prius -- High tech.  That car was brilliant and very conservative with petrol.  I didn't bother to work it out and didn't need to.  The older Prius had lots of glovebox space, which isn't matched by my GX.  However the GX allows me to load heaps of my favourite music onto the audio, via the memory stick.  I'm retired so my mileage is much lower than when I was working.  So the trade-in had a very low mileage.  I traded up because I like to keep up to date with the tech and also I like the larger 17" wheels on the GX.   And it does drive like a dream.   The salesman at the motor company told me I bought the last GX available in New Zealand.   He said another lot will arrive next August.  I'm looking forward to acquiring an all-electric plug-in when their range improves.

There's only one disappointment I have, which Toyota ought to correct.   A chief reason for buying a hybrid was that I hoped to be able to drive into -- and out of - my garage on EV.  This is so that the exhaust pipe would not pollute the garage -- which has an internal door to my home.  But although I push the EV button, the car over-rides that and turns on the petrol engine.   And I only need to run it on electrics for a few yards to avoid exhaust fumes going into my home.  Please note Mr Toyota.   Other than that -- she's fine

Edited by Ashley Bent
Grammar correction only.

On 29/05/2016 at 8:50 AM, Ashley Bent said:

Love my new Prius GX with Touring Package.   Sorting out the tech will keep me young.  I keep finding extras.   My trade in was a 2009 Prius -- High tech.  That car was brilliant and very conservative with petrol.  I didn't bother to work it out and didn't need to.  The older Prius had lots of glovebox space, which isn't matched by my GX.  However the GX allows me to load heaps of my favourite music onto the audio, via the memory stick.  I'm retired so my mileage is much lower than when I was working.  So the trade-in had a very low mileage.  I traded up because I like to keep up to date with the tech and also I like the larger 17" wheels on the GX.   And it does drive like a dream.   The salesman at the motor company told me I bought the last GX available in New Zealand.   He said another lot will arrive next August.  I'm looking forward to acquiring an all-electric plug-in when their range improves.

There's only one disappointment I have, which Toyota ought to correct.   A chief reason for buying a hybrid was that I hoped to be able to drive into -- and out of - my garage on EV.  This is so that the exhaust pipe would not pollute the garage -- which has an internal door to my home.  But although I push the EV button, the car over-rides that and turns on the petrol engine.   And I only need to run it on electrics for a few yards to avoid exhaust fumes going into my home.  Please note Mr Toyota.   Other than that -- she's fine

I take it you are pressing EV quick enough, on my Auris i have to be within a few seconds. Once or twice when i have been in EV and accidentally pressed the accelerator without being in D or R, the engine has still started. Regardless of the state of charge or temperature.

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2016 at 4:14 PM, Anthony Poli said:

I take it you are pressing EV quick enough, on my Auris i have to be within a few seconds. Once or twice when i have been in EV and accidentally pressed the accelerator without being in D or R, the engine has still started. Regardless of the state of charge or temperature.

If you make sure the climate control is off when you start the car it is more likely to stay in EV mode. My habit is to switch the climate control off when I go into the garage.

• Like 1

Priuses gets closest mpg to manufacturers figures because are mostly driven by taxi drivers who drives economically and in urban areas, and those who drives at nights when streets are quite they can even beat that figures, I know that from personal experience. If motorway journeys are made and you want to have great mpg keep speed at around 60-65mpg, avoid overtaking up the hill and try to accelerate with moderate power ,  you will get excellent mpg. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links