Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Hybrid Option For New Avensis

Grumpy Cabbie

The new crossover will be TGNA.......just you wait and see it ;)

The new RAV Hybrid will be able to tow

• Like 1

I never knew that the US can tow with the Toyota Hybrids, and that's actually peev'ed me off a bit tbh, as its the sacrifice I've had to make in getting my Prius, only need a towbar for a small garden trailer for tip runs etc.

BUT- we have a caravan,

Which is a problem with hybrid versions of toyota models.

No towing.

Would be useful if this was addresed.

In the USA, they tow with their hybrids but over here, we are not permitted to do so.

Toyota does not certify the Prius for towing in any market. In the US (and actually UK) people do it anyway.

• Like 1

The new crossover will be TGNA.......just you wait and see it ;)

The new RAV Hybrid will be able to tow

Really pleased to hear that. I'm not going to get my hopes up though - if it can tow a 1350 kg van with ease, then I'm there - until then I keep dreaming of an RX450h...

Interestingly, the Lexus NX base model (front wheel drive only) is not suitable for towing according to Lexus, whereas all higher spec models (which have 4 wheel drive courtesy of a 2nd motor/generator on the rear axle) can tow up to 1500 kg.

I rather think it's down to Toyota worrying about the electric side of the (2WD) Hybrid system overheating if it's asked to tow something heavy. In fact, I don't think very small trailers would bother it, but it would probably have warranty implications, and maybe even legal ones (type approval?).

In the USA, they tow with their hybrids but over here, we are not permitted to do so.

Toyota does not certify the Prius for towing in any market.
Ah yes. I should have said that.

Autocar w/c 27th May 2015 'This week - Confidential column':

"There will be no hybrid version of the Toyota Avensis during its current generation. Even though rivals like the Ford Mondeo are now offered with a hybrid variant, Toyota bosses are confident they have both bases covered with the combined Avensis and Prius model ranges."

well they would say that wouldn't they? Bottom line is that the cost of modifying the platform to allow for a hybrid wasn't cost effective/didn't fit into their other future product planning intentions.

Well I have been saying that Toyota will have a Hybrid in every model by 2020, Avensis could be completely new or even replaced by then, we will have to wait and see what happens

Well I have been saying that Toyota will have a Hybrid in every model by 2020, Avensis could be completely new or even replaced by then, we will have to wait and see what happens

Really, can you see them doing an Aygo hybrid for example?

I doubt they will be on the collaboration models such as Aygo (PSA) GT86 (Subaru) but just about everything else will be I think

Really, can you see them doing an Aygo hybrid for example?
What happened to the IQ-EV?

They only built a limited number of "test" iQ EV models and said they would not introduce it as a mainstream car

They only built a limited number of "test" iQ EV models and said they would not introduce it as a mainstream car

Because they decided that the future was in hydrogen and dropped all their EV ventures; IQ EV (the stats of which were crap) and the RAV4 EV which had been selling well in California.

You're all welcome to buy the Prius sized hydrogen powered Mirai for £60k though. OK, so it is unproven tech and filling stations are few and far between, the fuel is being given away despite being heavily energy intensive, but Clarkson says it's the future so it must be.

Have Toyota backed the wrong horse this time? All other manufacturers are going PHEV or BEV apart from Toyota who did but pulled out.

• Like 1

Have Toyota backed the wrong horse this time? All other manufacturers are going PHEV or BEV apart from Toyota who did but pulled out.

Sorry GC you've lost me, what is the PiP then?

Other manufactures are a tad behind Toyota in introducing a PHEV, Yes they're catching up, and some have a batter range, but it'll remain to be seen if in the long run they turn out to be as good as the PiP in releasability, repairs costs and overall lifespan. At least Toyota have a decade more experience than most manufactures in the field of Hybrids, and as such PHEVs.

Discontinued.

• Like 1

The current Prius plug in will cease production in June, but no-one outside of Toyota knows what Toyota will do as regards a replacement. Afraid it is a wait and see situation.

Really surprised if Toyota are giving up with the plug in hybrid. Can't they see it didn't work because it was too pricey and didn't have enough range? Mitsubishi have proved with the Outlander PHEV the demand is there if you get the ingredients right.

• Like 1

...PHEV the demand is there if you get the ingredients right.

and a spare tyre!

.... not forgetting the GKN Driveline Multi Mode eTransmission

Really surprised if Toyota are giving up with the plug in hybrid. Can't they see it didn't work because it was too pricey and didn't have enough range? Mitsubishi have proved with the Outlander PHEV the demand is there if you get the ingredients right.

Toyota are not stupid. They knew exactly what they were doing with the pricing, the same as Vauxhall did when they attempted to ask £38k for the Ampera. The Ampera 2.0 isn't coming to the UK due to poor sales of the original.

there isn't an Ampera 2. ~10,000 sales in Europe over 3 years wasn't enough.

There is a 2nd generation Chevrolet Volt.

Discontinued.

PiP production will resume for Europe and Japan, I heard of.

Discontinued.

PiP production will resume for Europe and Japan, I heard of.

Nah.

• Like 1

On the May 6th TME was asked to comment about the PiP end of production by a close friend of mine...

("official")

PHV production halted in May to reconfigure factory line.

Resuming production, USA version will cease and all others will keep manufacturing, and sales.

My bad, JDM market will also continue. :chinese: