Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worn Rubber Button On Key Fob ('01) Any Solution?

perdaniel

Lately I haven't been able to lock the doors on my 2001 Avensis with the remote on the key, only unlock them. After trying all the suggestions I could find here and not finding the solution, I tried to place the nail on my thumb on the button and press as hard as I could. That helped, the problem is that I had to press so hard that it was painful.

The little bump on the top of the lock button was worn away when I bought the car 2.5 years and 45.000 km ago. I have a key in better condition that I got from a wrecked car, but I'm not sure if it is possible to replace the fob or the buttons on the fob. I only have one key with a fob, and one of those gray keys without one that fits the car. Is there any way I can get this to work without spending a fortune at the dealer?

• 2 weeks later...

My key doesn't look like that. It looks more like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMVgxMDAx/z/JHcAAOSw1x1UNgQu/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

I have tried swapping the bits over. It doesn't work. The remote won't lock or unlock the doors, and the engine doesn't start the engine when I try the key in the ignition.

I have also tried programming the remote using this method: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/davelister/2010-12-04_153415_avensis.jpg

This only resulted in the doors locking and unlocking twice, signifying that it didn't work. I know that it says 1ZZ-FE in that picture, and I have a 1AZ-FSE engine, but according to carkeyshelp.co.uk it should work for all Avensis 2000-2003. I just couldn't find a picture there good enough to read without zooming in. This procedure doesn't specify when you should use the old key and when you should use the new key, so I assumed that you should only use the new key. Was this wrong?

I have the same problem but have the good fortune to have got two keys with the car along with the grey valet parking key. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a new key from a dealer. I have the key number. I would prefer having a spare.

I bought a second key (for a Celica) from Toyota last year. The cost which included the remote lock/unlock re-programming was £140. Not cheap but the risk of loosing the single key I had at the time would have been far worse.

• Like 1

Price is a bit steep for me. However I started with two keys so no worries. I also found that if I lock the car with the lock button on the key, which works, I can unlock it using the key in the door lock without the alarm going off. Thanks for your reply.