Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Few Styling Mods To My Mk1 Aygo Since Last Visit..

Planemo

Hi Mick

Yes and BMW and Merc use them too. Some will also flash the rear indicators if there is sudden decelleration to under 9mph or so such as emergency stops on motorways. Like you, I also think its a good idea. As for retrofitting the idea, there are various kits around, most of which will flash six times when the brake is applied then go steady state. I think I would rather have a speed/g force sensing system though so it works more like the factory setups. I wouldnt want to annoy drivers in traffic jams, although some aftermarket kits do get round this to some extent by needing an 8 second delay in the 'off' state before resetting the flashing mode. I might consider this type, would like to see it in action first although at £20-£25 they are not horrendously expensive. One seller here:

http://www.flashingbrakelights.co.uk

• Like 1

I didn't know that they could be turned on with a accelerometer type of thing as well as just the brake pedal. The guy I saw had definitely set his up with the brake pedal, as we were in stop start traffic.

£20/£25 is cheap enough for it to be a throwaway item if it doesn't work. Not sure about it being annoying, but at least it keeps the person behind you on their toes. I think I'll order one and see what they're like, and maybe buy another one for the Corolla when it's on the road.

Hi Mick, the factory ones use accelerometers or simply read a rapid decelleration from the speedo which triggers the flashing. This is how they get away with it at mot time as well, as the light wont flash unless under certain braking conditions.

I am not aware of an aftermarket kit that works the same way. The best they can do is add a delay (around 8 seconds) since the last activation so that in stop/start traffic you dont drive the guy behind nuts.

I would try one, but I think it would mean having to disconnect it come mot time as I believe that the high level must be constant and steady under test conditions (which it wont be, at least on the 1st activation).

Just wanted to put up a list of the mods done to my car. A couple of people have asked since I joined the forum and if I am honest I wasn't keen on finding out the total cost hence I have delayed it a bit! Plus I wanted to try and get much if not all of the car how I wanted it before putting lists up. I am fairly sure I am finished now, theres not a lot more I can think I want (except bigger wheels and a Fiesta ST engine swop which isnt going to happen). This is the first time I have sat down and worked out what I have done, as well as worked out what I have spent. Gulp.

EXTERIOR
Calibre Motion 15x6.5 ET38 wheels & Nankang 195/45 NS2 tyres £395.
Front splitter £100.
Fly Eye tint all lenses inc fogs £110.
Vinyl wrap roof satin black £120.
Vinyl wrap door pillars satin black £60.
Vinyl wrap 3M carbon wing mirrors £40.
Limo tint rear passenger glass & bootlid £90.
Fox stainless exhaust twin exit (1 each side) £300.
Toyota Racing Developments boot, front grill, door pillar and wheel centre cap emblems £50.
Philips LED headlights £150.
Replace all other bulbs with LED inc fitting resistors for indicators £80.
Clear side repeaters £10.
Satin black paint front Toyota and rear 'Aygo' badges £0.

INTERIOR
Genuine Toyota leather steering wheel £85.
Glove box lid £30.
Eonon Double DIN sat nav head unit £300.
Double DIN facia kit £25.
Pioneer dash Speakers £40.
Vibe Slick 6x9 rear shelf Speakers £45.
Focal iBus 20 underseat sub £190.
LED (blue) dash and heater panel lights £15.
Sparco R333 seats inc home made mounts £500.
Satin black paint sun visors & A pillars £10.
Armster armrest £60.
Add rear door switches and delay box for interior light £20.

MISC
Vogtland coil over suspension kit £400.
Shorten gear lever and fit Momo gearknob £20.

Bearing in mind that the vast majority of the above was fitted by myself, I am somewhat staggered at the total price of......£3245!!!! I paid less for the car....

Bear in mind that this is with zero mod work under the bonnet, no respray and no fancy sound system and you can see how easy it would be to spend £10k+ even on a little car like the Aygo. It sure adds up.

Ah well, I won't dwell on it. I doubt I will ever see another that looks the same and I am happy that the end result is what I was seeking to achieve. It remains a reliable, cheap to run mode of transport which gives me endless fun despite its lack of power and I still look back at her after parking up. In fact I think she looks pretty good from any angle tbh, and theres not many cars I have owned which I can say that about.

I think I will enjoy her until shes worn out. I will never get back what I have spent and shes getting a few miles under her belt now so along with the mods I cant see she is worth much.

I will continue to appreciate her for what she is...a small bundle of fun that to my eyes looks great and nimble enough to embarass far superior cars when the going gets twisty. Vive le Mk1!

• Like 1

Amazing list there Planemo, and i for one am impressed, its more the “making it happen” that counts than the cost in my opinion, it’ll be memories for a long time to come, as far as the great grandchildren i recon. If i could afford to do such a project i would and i’d keep her for the kids and maybe their kids. Its just so cute. I absolutely love mine. So well done, feel proud my friend.

P.s...have you considered under vehicle led’s and some Aygo decals in large down the sides?? ( too much fast n furious movies on my part lol )

Cheers Sam

Ooooh no, I am not into the under car lighting or flashy decals! My efforts were to keep the car as close as possible to that which TRD may have marketed themselves, and therefore not go too over the top. That said, since my last post I actually think that some black bonnet vents may work..would make the front even more aggressive and quite a few factory cars have them now (Ford ST range etc) so I think it might look ok and not too ricey. Not massively expensive either, I think around £100 would cover it (its not something I would attempt myself!).

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Cheers Sam

Ooooh no, I am not into the under car lighting or flashy decals! My efforts were to keep the car as close as possible to that which TRD may have marketed themselves, and therefore not go too over the top. That said, since my last post I actually think that some black bonnet vents may work..would make the front even more aggressive and quite a few factory cars have them now (Ford ST range etc) so I think it might look ok and not too ricey. Not massively expensive either, I think around £100 would cover it (its not something I would attempt myself!).

I thought you'd say that lol, keep it clean, i agree, but TRD play a part with the Aygo? I know TTE did with the Aygo, and MOTORSPORT for my other halfs Avensis, i recall TRD having something to do with the Celica and GT86.

I recon bonnet vents would look very aggressive indeed. Would you really want to cut into your bonnet for the real deal OR fit the look alikes and stick them on? Saying that i feel bonnet vents suit better on a vehicle with the fully body kit pack...then again yours has that stealth appeal. I know that feeling when one does everything that they wanted to do on their vehicle...run out of ideas...bored...and then start throwing more money at other things that might spoil what youve already created. 

Best of luck matey.

TRD (Toyota Racing Developments) are Toyotas in-house Japanese tuning wing. They have always been far bigger than Toyotas European tuning wing (TTE - Team Toyota Europe) who mainly deal with a few add-on cosmetic bits whereas TRD have done plenty of engine and suspension gear, for virtually every model. TRD also do some pretty crazy body mods - wide arch kits etc). It's a shame that to my knowledge the Aygo was never marketed in Japan hence no TRD involvement. All we were left with is a few bits and bobs from TTE which were spubik (as you know) and expensive for what they were. I think TRD may have been persuaded to do something with the Aygo but the problem was that the modifying market was never big enough unlike the Celica and GT86.

Re the vents, it would be cutting holes or nothing. I think the stick-on ones would look a bit manky tbh. I am undecided on whether to do it or not, I wish I could find one already done to have a look at but theres nothing out there that I can see. Amazingly, I can't find any Citroen C1's or Peugeot 107's with them either which I find odd given that both are generally preferred by the modifying crowd. Photoshop might give me an idea but I don't have it nor know how to work it haha!

Whoops, looks like the forum bots were a bit over eager on my use of the word which is similar to 'limited'!

• 10 months later...
On 3/26/2016 at 10:39 PM, Planemo said:

Ok last one I promise..

IMG_20160326_223337.jpg

It really does sit well here. Lovely

4 hours ago, Chopstick Racing said:

It really does sit well here. Lovely

An absolute beauty. Love it. Well done

• 1 year later...

Alright guys

Well I thought this thread would be as good as any to announce that after 7 years of ownership the Aygo has now been sold to someone else to enjoy. A little earlier than expected but a new project in the form of a turbo Smart Car came up, gifted to me by my brother who needed shot of it asap due to a house move. I couldnt keep both so...

Anyways, its been somewhat of a journey, helped along by chatting to you lovely people in the forum. If I get another Aygo I will be back, but if not, I wish you all the best with your little beasties.

Ta ta for now, maybe not forever...who knows.. 😉

• Like 1

Best wishes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, AygoCPT said:

This is my Baby, Cape Town South Africa.

i have included a pic with the new 8j Wheels and stretched tyres.

FB_IMG_1481278421426.jpg

FB_IMG_1481278665913.jpg

FB_IMG_1481278739975.jpg

6 minutes ago, NitroN said:

Hi.   What size and width are these rims ? And which tyre size ?  Are they BBS rims ?  Looks  awsome !    Greetz,  Fred

In his list of mods he quotes "Calibre Motion 15x6.5 ET38 wheels & Nankang 195/45 NS2 tyres

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, NitroN said:

Hi.   What size and width are these rims ? And which tyre size ?  Are they BBS rims ?  Looks  awsome !    Greetz,  Fred

14 hours ago, planc said:

In his list of mods he quotes "Calibre Motion 15x6.5 ET38 wheels & Nankang 195/45 NS2 tyres

Thanks for the information   😊 👍

On 12/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, AygoCPT said:

This is my Baby, Cape Town South Africa.

i have included a pic with the new 8j Wheels and stretched tyres.

FB_IMG_1481278421426.jpg

FB_IMG_1481278665913.jpg

FB_IMG_1481278739975.jpg

Hi AygoCPT .

What size and width are these rims ? And which tyre size ?  Are they BBS rims ?  Looks  awsome !    Greetz,  Fr