Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tappet Noise When Cold

Frogitor

I have a RAV4 2003 VVTI auto and when I start off I get a kind of tappet noise under acceleration. Whenever the engine is under any load this noise is there and sounds a bit like a London taxi!. After 5 minutes of driving it disappears.

Not sure how to fix this or whether it's important or just a characteristic of the VVTI engine.

Anyone else had this - and is it costly to repair, or does it need a costly visit to Mr T??

Whatcha Cliff

This is in no way normal on your engine.

Does this sound like one noisy tappet or more ?

Del

Hi Del, it sounds like just one. Strange that it disappears when the engine gets up to temperature. Thought it might be the oil not getting through until it was thinned by heat.

Cliff

That's sound reasoning matie

Do you have a long screwdriver that you could use as a stethoscope, placing one end against each injector to see if you can locate and narrow down where it is coming from or any other area

Del

Thanks Del, can do in the morning. I guess I need to remove the air filter to get to them? Will Google it tonight.

Cliff

Trouble is, the noise only comes when the car is moving and the engine is under even the lightest of acceleration. have not noticed it on tick-over.

I have a 2004 XT4 petrol manual (VVTi) and its also noisy (bit like a diesel) and little rough to drive for a short while when cold. The engine is one of the fastest I have owned to warm up and everything sounds fine when warm. I have had the car since new and its always been like this.

Personally I would not worry if there are no noises when its warm, there are bound to be excess tolerances when cold.

These tolerances will vary between engines whats important is what it sounds like when up to operating temperature.

As with all cars I have owned, I try to avoid puting to much load on the car when its cold, I go gentle with the pedal :-)

I have 2002 Auto and mine is the same. Just did an oil change and the noise was a bit better but still there. I had a 1994 auto as well and that did the same. JR

You could try a slightly thicker oil, mine has always been filled with 10w40 Semi Synthetic Magnatec as thats what the dealer used on day one. It has never burned a drop between services. I think just after I bought the car dealers started using 3W30 as a standard fill, however some people reported burning more oil as the thinner oil gets past the piston rings.

As long as the oil conforms to your manual specs you will be ok.

There is some debate in engine forums if older engines made around early 2000 are better on a slightly thicker oil, especially as they get older, it helps reduces initial startup wear.

The drive for super thin oils is primarily to reduce emissions. Obviously the latest engines are specially designed for super thin oils (5W20) and you have to follow their manual guidlines.

Might be worth tipping a bottle of something like Forte Top End Treatment in? I'm not a big fan of additives but I've found the forte stuff usually does what it's supposed to. I think it works best when added to fresh oil. It quietenend down some nosy tappers on a older mini I used to have.

I am sorry to disagree, but I think oil additives are a desperate measure, they have potential to cause all sorts of problems. I think its always better to just stick to a quality oil but play with grades.

Thanks all for the useful comments. I seem to remember the dealer saying he had changed the oil for some 'special' grade. I was not sure exactly what he meant but perhaps it was not the recommended grade. It doesn't seem to burn oil but I may change it to the grade in the manual to see if it makes a difference but if not will live with it and just be gentle with it until up to temperature.

• 8 years later...

I have a 2017 4 runner, love the vehicle, but I also have a noisy tappet when first starting it. It doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, as long as I'm giving it a little gas the tappet noise is there. After a few minutes on the road the noise is gone. I only have 37,000 miles on it, and I drive it very easy. It doesn't sound as if there is a cure other than taking it to the dealer, and that isn't going to happen. I guess I will deal with it and just take it easy until it warms up. Hopefully it's just a tappet that is slow to expand when cold.