Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall

ALake

I see theres another recall for toyotas (and nissans as well) for dodgy airbags.

Its a shame toyotas recall checker doesn't work, as I would like to have dismissed my car! It just says the registration (which has been on the car for 7 years) isn't recognised. Not a great start, if they don't know my car it won't get recalled if necessary!

As with all recalls, the announcement is issued before the full facts are known, IE, they will not know the full list of VIN numbers / Reg numbers for a few days yet. This info will be ready shortly and you will be able to use the recall checker soon

The recall checker has always worked for me - including today

The recall checker is working, but at this moment in time they do not have a definitive chassis number list for this new recall. This will be updated with affected vehicles ASAP

Hmm the recall checker might be working, but it doesn't know my registration. Everything else I've tried my reg on works fine though (online car parts sites etc)

Mine must be the one toyota forgot.

Hmm the recall checker might be working, but it doesn't know my registration. Everything else I've tried my reg on works fine though (online car parts sites etc)

Mine must be the one toyota forgot.

Have you tried inputting the chassis number?

Haven't tried the chassis number as yet - I'm at work so thought the reg. would suffice.

I have to admit - this is the only online service I've used so far that hasn't recognised my reg number!

I would be more concernrd about a vehicle manufacturer with so many re-calls, I believe Toyota had to appear before the American senate for lying, the wifes Rav4 been re-called three times, and it's needed a new EGR valve, a new Electric steering control unit, it nearly threw her off the motorway slip road at about 60 mph. (that was a cheap part) I nearly forgot an Oil leak and a new clutch, just done 70,000 miles, not good enough.... and two Denso glow plugs, and a starter motor... great Japan quality.....

I don't think toyota are any worse (or any better) than any other manufacturer when it comes to recalls. There's a lot of guff about goodwill on here but it tends to be when they realise they can be comprehensively sued for poor manufacturing etc that this goodwill appears!

There a lot of failed diesel engines on here - due to a known fault but that wasn't subject to an official recall, just a more back door method so it was kept out of the press. Like I say though I'm pretty sure toyota are the same as all manufacturers (and god knows I've had enough cars to back this up!)

My last experience of a toyota recall was a bit shonky as well, my old avensis was called in for a minor recall and after I'd collected the car I found out that toyota were giving the customers £10 of fuel and a bottle of wine as compensation. Needless to say the dealer had merely 'forgotten' this and I was offered both on my return :naughty:

Just to be clear on the airbag recalls, the problems are to do with possible assembly faults by the supplier, Takata. So far ten car manufacturers have been involved in the Takata recalls including Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and BMW.

Yes Toyota in the US has been accused of concealing safety issues, but, more recently so has GM, and in the past Ford. GM has been allowed to foist responsibility for the concealment of their safety issues (which have cost lives) onto the pre-bankruptcy protection GM, and has effectively got away scot free.

Since the accelerator pedal recalls of 2010, Toyota has taken a more proactive approach to possible recalls - which the majority of other manufacturers could learn from.

Let's not confuse recalls with reliability/the need for replacement parts - two separate issues.

• Like 1

I take your point, but I have been in the motor trade since 1971 and I have never found a worse manufacturer than Toyota, I have in the past had dealings with three diffrent Toyota garages all different owners and all of them are just a cash making business, the customer comes about third on the list the first is making cash and plenty of it, the second is selling selling selling, and then the customer.... When I have complained to Toyota direct I'm just told take it up with the Garage nothing to do with us we only make cars, all dealers are a franchise,,,,,

Again it is two different things.

Under Block Exemption regulations there is a limit to what requirements a vehicle manufacturer is able to enforce with their dealers, and this will be reflected in the contract between the two parties. For example, Toyota cannot force their dealers to use a particular engine oil. Franchises will be expected to operate within a fairly broad framework, but, ultimately, things like standards of service will be down to the individual dealer or dealer group. This is the same with other manufacturers and their franchised dealers.

I don't use my local Toyota dealer either for sales or servicing, after two poor experiences with test drives - preferring to use a dealer 20 miles away for my Toyota needs. I've purchased my last three new Toyotas from this more distant dealer.

Others are quite happy with the local dealer - otherwise they wouldn't still be in business.

Down to personal choice ......

It seems Takata make a lot of air bags for a lot of Japanese manufacturers. These air bag recalls have been rumbling on for years. The manufacturers can only react to information given to them by Takata, I think you will find Takata having to pay rather a lot of compensation in the future to a variety of companies

Just a question. This recall is only for U.K. or for Italy too. Thanks.

It is a global recall - it is estimated that there could be approx 160,000 Toyotas that need checking in the UK.

Morning frostballs, my main complaint was with the UK's biggest Toyota dealership, and why they are still in business is because nearly everyone trusts the Toyota name/garage, it's a long story but in my case I was charged over £235 for a service, that just was not done correctly, and some of the service was just not done, it was evident when a service taking two hours only took one, and when I checked my vehicle at home, even the air filter box was full of dead leaves, it goes on and on, I tried every avenue to make this info available to the public, no one was willing to take on my case, in the end I had to prove my service had not been done correctly, Toyota UK would not even get a field engineer to look at the vehicle, even when the dealer said it needed £1,600 worth of warranty work, Toyota UK would rather pay the bill than slag one of the biggest dealers off. I was given a full refund, how many Toyota owners check when they get a servie done, it's down to trust... and not only my servicng as been poor, my wife delivered her broken down Rav4 to a different Toyota dealer, they kept it, ten days then said it might need a £400 part but they were not sure, I removed the vehicle had it checked at a tuning shop and it was repaired for less than £3 ONE NEW ROTOR ARM, the Rav4 only went to the Toyota garage because my RAC could not find the fault and I was away see was desperate and thought Toyota would sort her out, they did just that, so when see bought her third Rav4 she tried a different garage (thrid one) still rubbish servicing.....Sorry for being boring

The VIN look up on the recall site should be in operation from today

Morning frostballs, my main complaint was with the UK's biggest Toyota dealership, and why they are still in business is because nearly everyone trusts the Toyota name/garage, it's a long story but in my case I was charged over £235 for a service, that just was not done correctly, and some of the service was just not done, it was evident when a service taking two hours only took one, and when I checked my vehicle at home, even the air filter box was full of dead leaves, it goes on and on, I tried every avenue to make this info available to the public, no one was willing to take on my case, in the end I had to prove my service had not been done correctly, Toyota UK would not even get a field engineer to look at the vehicle, even when the dealer said it needed £1,600 worth of warranty work, Toyota UK would rather pay the bill than slag one of the biggest dealers off. I was given a full refund, how many Toyota owners check when they get a servie done, it's down to trust... and not only my servicng as been poor, my wife delivered her broken down Rav4 to a different Toyota dealer, they kept it, ten days then said it might need a £400 part but they were not sure, I removed the vehicle had it checked at a tuning shop and it was repaired for less than £3 ONE NEW ROTOR ARM, the Rav4 only went to the Toyota garage because my RAC could not find the fault and I was away see was desperate and thought Toyota would sort her out, they did just that, so when see bought her third Rav4 she tried a different garage (thrid one) still rubbish servicing.....Sorry for being boring

However, some way off topic - which is about the current recall.

I would be more concernrd about a vehicle manufacturer with so many re-calls, I believe Toyota had to appear before the American senate for lying, the wifes Rav4 been re-called three times, and it's needed a new EGR valve, a new Electric steering control unit, it nearly threw her off the motorway slip road at about 60 mph. (that was a cheap part) I nearly forgot an Oil leak and a new clutch, just done 70,000 miles, not good enough.... and two Denso glow plugs, and a starter motor... great Japan quality.....

Sounds like you're just looking to knock Toyota at every opportunity you get ! If your avatar reflects your job you should be very aware that VOSA has a dedicated recall site, you only have to spend a short time on the site to see ALL car makes have a huge amount of recalls NOT just Toyota.

Mercedes ,BMW and others have mountains of recalls but dont have the balls to face up to it in the press and media.

Toyota are very up front in how they deal with recalls and customers They believe in their products that's why a 5 year warranty is put on their vehicles.

"They believe in their products that's why a 5 year warranty is put on their vehicles"

Or they do that because they're trying to compete with everyone else. I like my toyota but I'm under illusion that toyota are better than anyone else for reliability. And first hand I can say their customer service was pretty poor - again like other manufacturers I've dealt with.

A lot goes down to the individual dealer - but that's the front facing side of toyota we have to deal with. I've had dealing with separate (Ford) dealers in my area - one great, one very poor - the great one changed into a different make ironically but it stopped me buying a ford in my area because I was left with the crappy dealer!

Anyway, back on topic. I must remember to see if my vin number is recognised tonight!

"They believe in their products that's why a 5 year warranty is put on their vehicles"

Or they do that because they're trying to compete with everyone else. I like my toyota but I'm under illusion that toyota are better than anyone else for reliability. And first hand I can say their customer service was pretty poor - again like other manufacturers I've dealt with.

A lot goes down to the individual dealer - but that's the front facing side of toyota we have to deal with. I've had dealing with separate (Ford) dealers in my area - one great, one very poor - the great one changed into a different make ironically but it stopped me buying a ford in my area because I was left with the crappy dealer!

Anyway, back on topic. I must remember to see if my vin number is recognised tonight!

Car dealers can be a nightmare certainly and I guess we can all relate good & bad experiences. For me, Toyota's reliability is head & shoulders above any other brands that I have owned (& I've had lots over 45 years driving, here & abroad, both company & owned cars). Having said that though, it's also true that most cars nowadays are pretty reliable simply because consumers won't accept anything less but, over the last 14 years we've owned 10 Toyotas (Aygo, Yaris, RAV4 & LC) and have had only two call-outs to AA/RAC, once for a broken serpentine belt (which after 10 years' service seems fair) and once for a failed battery on our LC (blame Yuasa, Mr. T replaced it FOC under the warranty).

We've used dealers in Leics, Cheshire, Staffs, Manchester and in France and with one exception they have always been first class. That one was a service-only franchise (that was also licensed to service Mazda & Lexus as well) which was simply incompetent and which I've never used again.

Re this recall, the checker worked fine for our 4.2 despite a recent change in reg no. Unfortunately, it is included. :disgust:

I think you must have missed the last few years of Toyota's dealings, the only reason Toyota intruduced a 5 years warranty was because of the bad press and recalls, THE ONLY REASON, for years Toyota was asked why Kia etc. could and they could not.

It cost Toyota millions to introduce the 5 years, and my wifes Rav4 was recalled for a airbag problem which was not that it might go off, but becuase the wire may be chaffing and it would cause the airbag circuit to turn off, she is now waiting for another recall, Like I have said many times before if Toyota owners checked to see if thier toyota's were being serviced correctly 100% they would be shocked how bad the work is being done,,,Toyota tried to hoodwink the yanks and got whacked, I got whacked by Toyota during servicng and repairs, when the wifes Rav4 dies so will our time with Toyota, people really need to be aware Toyota and Toyota dealers run a business to make money, Google some Toyota problems, like bad engines,gearboxes,DPF's, EGR valves, using oil,Mass flywheels, head gaskets, I have got bored.......the lists goes on and on...

Kia introduced their 7 year warranty on the Cee'd in 2007, and from January 2010 extended the 7 year warranty across the range - prior to January 2010 Kia models excluding the Cee'd, retained the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

Toyota GB introduced the 5 year warranty in June 2010, in order to restore customer confidence after the accelerator pedal recalls of 2009/10.

Outside of the UK, Toyota retained the 3 year/100,000km new car warranty.

Facts please, not conjecture.

As the thread has again strayed well off-topic it has been locked

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links