Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dealer Key Fob Batteries - Beware

MLW2233

Had a major 60K mile service on my Gen 2 prius recently and I thought the service list said replace key fob batteries. It actually said replace key fob Battery. One letter - one Battery. So I thought why not get both done if it is free and included in the service. The cost was £9.48P!

I did both of them last November with 4 for a pound batteries at a £1 shop. Took about 2 minutes to do, and worked perectly. My fault I know, but they could have said when I took them in, 'Do you know these are nearly a tenner each to do'. As usual they also overfilled the oil. Why do Toyota always do that?

Had a major 60K mile service on my Gen 2 prius recently and I thought the service list said replace key fob batteries. It actually said replace key fob battery. One letter - one battery. So I thought why not get both done if it is free and included in the service. The cost was £9.48P!

On a par, or in some instances cheaper, with changing batteries in watches, depending on the Battery. One doesn't expect to take a watch into a jewellers and have the Battery changed free of charge, so why expect the same for a second car key?

For example: to get the Battery changed in one of my (five) Animal watches and have the case re-sealed costs £14.50: most jewellers won't touch Rotary waterproof watches, and you have to get them sent back to Rotary - cost around £50.

I take my Rotary watches into Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, where one can get the battery changed, case re-sealed and pressure tested for £12-17, depending on battery type.

Alternatively, rather than buying pound store batteries, one can get branded ones (eg Panasonic CR2032) from places like Amazon from £1.01 for two with free delivery.

Can't argue with that, but does this approach make customers warm to a dealer.

I watched my local independent do an MOT on the car infront of me. It failed on a brake light bulb. 'One sec', the guy said. Popped out and got a new one which he fitted it in one minute. Just 50p he said, and a pass.

Why do I always go back there?

With our cars, I take each key in on alternative services - so the batteries in both fobs get changed, at the latest, every two years.

• Like 1

With our cars, I take each key in on alternative services - so the batteries in both fobs get changed, at the latest, every two years.

Likewise.

Well if it makes you feel any better, my nearest dealer listed the £10 for the Battery on my bill and didn't even change it!

• 2 weeks later...

You could always negotiate with your dealer. "Hey guys, you can service my car but I want the Battery changing for free". Will they lose a customer over a £1 part? Nah.

And as Frosty says, I alternate my fobs when taking the car in to ensure both have a working Battery.