Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator On Its Way Out

forevered

started to hear a rattling noise from round the drive belts today ,took it into my local main dealer today and it turns out its the bearings in the alternator that are making the noise, its intermitent at the moment, which the tech guy found strange , so when it started to rattle he put what looked like a stethescope onto the alternator and said its on its way out..having a recon one fitted tomorrow for £323 with a 24 month warranty. the cars 7 years old with 69k on the clock. never had a problem with an alternator before. anyone else had this problem ?

Never had that and I'm coming up to similar mileage the warranty is good £ 323 is the fitted price I'm guessing seems a little steep but not too bad what engine is it

My alternator went at a similar age and mileage. Got my changed at toyota because i have a toyota extended warranty though.

I've seen a few other posts relating to failing alternators too so it isn't unheard of.

Mine is the 2.2 diesel.

Why recon? New Denso alternator costs about £250 and labour would only be about £80-£100 and would work out roughly the same.

Also, if the bearings are causing the rattle, you can open the alternator up your self and change them. New bearings can be as cheap as 50p from US. That mechanic will probably fix the bearings on the alternator and sell it off to someone else as recon alternator like he is to you right now.

I would have thought that you could get a new one for that price also I know they are quite cramped to get at but a it would probably cost 300 from a garage for a new one as they would get it cheaper than you could anyway

• 5 years later...

119k miles same problem every 4 years, been to the garage they said is better to buy new alternator because is typical for Auris this problem , after you changing bearing another part is going off in few months ,so is not worth it to get stacked somewhere in Scotland with no power , also after a wile you killing the Battery as well 

First time i see on this forum someone mentioned the alternator as being the typical issue on Auris.

Maybe it's just the garage's selling point, ah yes, that thing you got, typical for your car, you should replace the whole part which is easiest for us to fit...

Alternator is just a few bolts, in and out.

I once had a garage redo the bearings on my pulleys (other car), as they said it's better solution than changing the pulleys, as they were in quite good condition. Never had an issue, and it was done in under an hour.

Could be they just put cheap bearings, or they installed them incorrectly, nicked a bit, so the water/mist slowly worked it's way into it, and the grease leaked out in the summer.

If it's the original alternator, you might consider replacing it with a refurbished one, rather than getting a new part.

You said your car is 1.6 Petrol, even though in profile it says diesel, anyway for 1.6 it's childishly easy to replace the alternator, you can do it yourself, if you opt out for replacement.