Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Toyota Avensis Starting Problem

steve mezzle

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with this issue please.

I have a 1998 Toyota avensis that doesnt start first time in the mornng after being left overnight. It will turn over on the second attempt and everytime thereafter throughtout the rest of the day without too much trouble. Does this seem like a problem with the starter motor or a problem with the flywheel.

The current starter motor is only 3 years old and also can anyone give me an idea how difficult the job is to replace the starter motor. I wouldnt be able to replace the flywheel myself but thought the starter motor would be easier.

Thanks Steve

Are you saying that the starter motor is not responding to the turn of the key? If so the likely problem is the ignition switch is faulty. This was a common problem with the Mk1.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181706518108&alt=web

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I did replace this ignition switch a couple of years ago. The current problem seems different however. I only seem to have my current problem in the morning and is fine until the next morning no matter how many times i start the car during the day.

Use a multi meter to confirm whether current is reaching the solenoid from the ignition to clarify the problem.

• Like 1

Check your Battery condition and connections. A load test on the Battery may reveal a possible cause.

Then check all connections to the starter.

If you have the 1.6/1.8 engines the starter is more fiddly to change as you need to get under the car to get at the lower bolt. The other bolt is easy access from the top. The bolt for the power cable is also reached from the top, but I prefer to remove the starter to disconnect/connect.

It is possible for the starter to become faulty after a short time. Your may be unlucky.

Is your replacement switch genuine Toyota?

When you say does not start, does the engine not turn over, or it does not fire up?

Thanks for the reply again. Yeah it turns over first time but doesnt fire up until the second attempt.

Thanks for the info on changing the starter motor. Better leave i to a pro as i have a 1.8 GLS

I have same car.

The only thing I can think of, is the cam/crank sensors.

The inlet temperature sensor is another item, but these rarely go wrong.

Get the mechanic to pull the EFI fuse located in the engine bay fuse box, for a minute. This will reset the values and hopefully pull the timing back, and the correct amount of fueling.

You then drive the car whilst the ECU relearns everything.

Hopefully this may help.